Knees, Knees, Knees!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Knees, Knees, Knees!

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:28 pm

My knees along with hips and lower back, tailbone are the worst areas.

The last couple of days have not been good at all in these areas, but yesterday my knees were getting worse. It got to the point I could not bend them . Last night, around 6 the pain was getting bad enough I was dry heaving. Then came the feeling of dull shocks through my legs and as though something was crawling in my veins.

I tried everything. I was in the hot bath and I mean hot, to kill the pain. I had 6 throughout the night. I got the medicine basket out and even went through hubby's. I was getting desperate. The only thing that I thought might help was oxycontin. I took 2. An hour later....no change. I went back to the basket with hubby along. We decided because of the high dose of Fentanyl I am on we dare not give me any more oxycontin. There is a fine line between ok and overdose.

I was so anxious at this point, I could not breath with my CPAP on. The mask flew across the room.

Back to the hot water, but I had to watch my body did not overheat with the Fentanyl.

I suddenly remembered the creammy surgeon gave me. Actually a gel...Arnica. After hubby drying me we plastered this on the front and behind of my knees.It stinks,LOL

Back to bed. Hubby reattached my mask and turned on the machine. He kept gently rubbing gel into my knees. We don't know if it was the gel, hot water or both but I finally fell asleep.....for 2 and 1/2 hours. I am going to the bath now and going to cover my knees again.

Bright side......all these baths in epsom salt have really helped my pedicure injury and my feet are as smooth as a baby's bum, LOL
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Re: Knees, Knees, Knees!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:20 pm

It may have been one, several, or a mix everything whoami, whatever it was, it's good that you finally got some easing and were able to get some :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Arnica is one of those treatments that dates way, way back (15th Century some think) that has been passed down thru the generations, with more and more used being found for it. It's something that is often suggested be kept in first aid kits, esp canine ones as doglets are able to take it orally to aid with sprains etc. The oral form is better for furryends as the topical preparations can prove toxic if taken internally, and a doglet's initial reaction to an injury is to start licking it :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

As well as being used to treat bruises, different benefits including pain relief brought about by muscle pains, joint pains, sprains, strains, superficial phlebitis, swelling, and even from the inflammation caused by an insect bite have also been discovered.

As well as being used to relieve inflammation, but can also be utilized as a preservative or fungicides. When used as a gel, Arnica is very effective in treating pain from osteoarthritis. Some studies have even indicated that patients suffering from this condition were able to overcome the stiffness in their joints and was also given relief from pain.

Glad to hear your feet have been benefiting from this incident, will you be out and dancing tonight with how wonderful they're feeling?? :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LouLou » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:28 pm

You know I have a tube of arnica in my medicine cabinet in gel form. I even looked at it the other day thinking "why do I have this?" and I've never used it. It was possibly one of the many remedies my mum has researched and got me to try.

After reading your story Whoami I'm going to give it a go. I really suffer with my legs and knees too painwise so I know how that feels. I can often be seen with 5-6 hot water bottles lined up my legs on the sofa, or in bed with the electric blanket - even during summer lol. As

Since having FM I live in the bath and the upside is I have really super soft skin lol so I guess we have something to smile about.

Fingers crossed you can catch up on your sleep Whoami and that the pain continues to ease off for you
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Tracie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:02 pm

sending you hugs.
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanks for your inputs. Donna (the Dr) also suggested Voltarin, it is another gel used for the same purpose.
I don't think it works as well, I remember trying it then washing it off and using Arnica.
I am going to look for somewhere to buy the Arnica that might be less costly. I paid around
£15 for a tube 50ml. At the rate I use it I should be looking for plants and making my own, LOL
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Voltaren is known as Voltarol over here and contains diclofenac. The arnica gel with it's natural origins sounds much more preferable. Pity it's not something that can be prescribed.

Might it be worth looking to see if any manufacturers have their own online shops, buying direct quite often works out cheaper.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:26 pm

I will look online thanks.

It has started to pour down thank heavens. We have had a week of near 30C and awful humidity. I hope now that it will help my knees.

I am trying to get my hair in a ponytail so I can put some Arnica on my neck. My arms are too heavy to hold up, LOL The fracture I had in my neck always starts up with a weather change, followed by hips and lower back, LOL We all know the routine don't we!
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:31 pm

I suffered a dislodged and fractured vertebrae (C6) and changes in weather play havoc with that as well. I also had some bone removed from a hip to repair the fracture, and that area joins my neck when things get too wet and/or cold :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:53 pm

We are a right bunch aren't we? LOL It is amazing how many people you find that have gone through almost all the same things. The odd one for me was that 3 of us on the same street got thyroid cancer. :shock: :-?
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:36 am

Well I tried the arnica gel I had found on Thursday night on my left calf. It's been very tight and really painful the last 2 weeks and when my mum has massaged me there she has felt lots of knots and tension.

Anyway it was really throbbing so I gently rubbed the arnica on and within half an hour the throbbing had really eased off. So I used it on my right wrist which was also playing me up and my shoulder and again the intensity of the throbbing really eased off.

It was by no means a miracle cure but it really made a difference with me. Plus I love that it is a natural product as I'm trying to cut down what I take and use.

So thank you whoami for posting about this.
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:32 am

I have been using arnica for years and is a must for my first aid box along with a few other herbal treatments . it quite funny as when I started using it over 20 years ago I was seen as a real hippy type now more & more people are coming into the fold. I always have arnica tablets as well as the gel and would use a few of those to start the process of internally as well as use the topical gel.

Good luck Whoami , hope you get some relief both from the heat and the pain .

Just a word about diclofenic (Volterain) recent studies have shown that ingesting it can be bad for those with any heart issues ,, not sure if anything was found in the study for topical gels but might be worth a look see.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Lou Lou.......I am glad it is working for you. You are right, no cure but it helped a lot. I will let Donna, one of my Drs know , she recommended it to me first.

ISM.....Thanks, the knees are feeling a lot better. We had a heavy rain come in , lots of flooding, then the heat left.
Today it is around 20C perfect for me. Interesting about the Voltarin, I shall have to research it a bit.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:52 am

I just wanted to add something to this about the arnica. I've been using it for a week now, especially on my legs and feet and while it's not completely taken the pain away it has really really helped ease off that deep throbbing to a bearable level.

I usually use hot water bottles on my legs and feet but with the weather getting warmer I've not been able to tolerate it. My mum got me a tube of Arnica Cooling Gel which is still all natural but contains grapefruit extract aswell which gives the cooling effect. It's not a strong cooling sensation (good job as my legs are so sensitive they wouldn't be able to take that) but you can feel it cooling the area down and it really has helped my leg and feet pain a lot.

I would definitely recommend Arnica cream/gel in any form to help ease pain, especially as it's natural which I am a big fan of!

Whoami, hope your knees aren't giving you too much grief - how are your neigbours by the way? I remember you posting about one of them being quite ill.

ISM - my mum said the same thing, she said it was all the range when she was younger as back then prescribed meds were few and far between. She just never connected the dots to think it would help with my pain. She's got an arnica based massage oil to use on my next massage this weekend to see if this makes a difference too.
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Lou Lou......I must thank you first for asking about the couple next door. Marcelle, he is in hospital. He will be there for a while....rehabilitation. His wife, Lillianne, she leaves every morning at half nine and returns home at nine at night. She is 83 and drives the 45 minutes each way to hospital and stays with him all day. She herself may have had a tiny stroke just days before his. She will not let anyone drive her....very independent.

I am glad the arnica gel is helping. My knees are much better. Last night however they started up so I put some on right away. The pain went no further. It sure helps, not cures but can make things more comfortable.

Enjoy the massage!
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:36 pm

Whoami

Oh my that did bring tears to my eyes that really is true love isn't it? So lovely and the dedication of Lillianne to her husband is truly amazing. I only hope to have a marriage just like that. Please keep me updated on them, I have everything crossed that he makes a speedy recovery and they can be home together again.

Yes I am amazed at the difference the arnica has been making too, as you said it doesn't take it away but it does stop the pain escalating. I've also been using my tens machine a lot more lately which has really helped along with the gel. Will let you know how the massage goes with the arnica oil.

xx
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia