pain relief and bedding

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

pain relief and bedding

Postby Genie65 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi Everyone I take tramadol and paracetomol for fibro annd arthritis pain, but I think the Tramadol is causing some nasty side effeccts. Anyone had experience of these when taking tramadol? Is there an alternative? I did take co-codamol 30/500 two four times a day, but they weren't very effective. I also take zolpidem for sleep problems and that too has a yard-long list of side effects. Any ideas for alternative sleep medication? Tried melatonin, valerian etc., no good. Would like to feel a bit better than I do at present. Also has anyone problems with bedding? If there is the slighest roughness on the under= sheet it hurts - at present I use stretch ccotton jersey, so I can pull out the creases when I turn over, but wondered if there was any natural fabric not subject to pilling?

Thanks any suggestions would be welcome
Genie65
UKFM Member

Re: pain relief and bedding

Postby kazza65 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi Hun,

I too has trouble with sleeping due to the pain in my legs and back when laying flat. I went to the doctor and he gave me a prescriptions for amitiptyline they have been very helpfull but at the dose of 40mg per night.

So if you wish to take these see your doctor..

Karen x
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Genie....sleep is a huge issue for fibro patients. Have you asked your Dr to refer you to a sleep clinic. It might be of interest to you. I went and sleep better now, not perfect but better.

I put a pillow under my knees. Like you I lie on my back. This takes some pressure from my back and legs.

Also, if your legs and back hurt try using arnica gel. I use it a lot now and am amazed with the results.

Try satin sheets. They feel a bit cooler but they move around better on the skin. I also bought a really soft pillow, make sure you get one for how you sleep. I also have a wool duvet. It is light, cool in summer and warm in winter.

Talk to your Dr and see what he suggests.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby hanspan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:18 pm

I started to find my bed uncomfortable even though it isn't that old so I got s memory foam mattress topper. It's more comfortable, less painful but it took some getting used to. I wouldn't get a full memory foam bed as I heard they aren't good for us but alsobecause I don't like to sink too far in to the bed...
hanspan
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Genie65 wrote: Also has anyone problems with bedding? If there is the slighest roughness on the under= sheet it hurts - at present I use stretch ccotton jersey, so I can pull out the creases when I turn over, but wondered if there was any natural fabric not subject to pilling?

Sorry, no advice about the sleep side of things I'm afraid :( :( :( :( :( It's something I'm constantly battling with as well :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I have the same problem with bedding, and in fact fabrics in general, the slightest bit of bobbling/pilling makes my skin feel like it's being scrubbed with a rough metal rasp. I've tried all sorts of fabrics, but haven't come across anything that hasn't bobbled so far, so will be interested to see what suggestions come up.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby MichelleJ » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:06 pm

I use a memory foam pillow and tempur mattress. My duvet is merino wool which keeps cool in summer and warm in winter. My eddying is just cotton but I have the stretch fit sheets as they stay still better. I do struggle with material making my skin sore though.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby cherry-von-bomb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:25 pm

I've found high count Egyptian cotton takes alot of abuse before it goes bobbly also a mattress topper used with a decent mattress protectors ( Ikea do some really good mattress accessories, 365+ mattress protector is great for me) as it helps keep sheets flat as it forces the sheets to stretch

Good luck with trying to get sleeps people :sleep:
cherry-von-bomb
UKFM Newbie

Postby Genie65 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Thanks to all who replied - and for your help. I have tried amytriptiline but I put on a huge amount of weight. I think I may ask my GP to try out a SNRI - and possibly a muscle relaxant. As for bedding, I have a two inch foam mattress - it was bliss, but I think it needs replacing. Bedding is a problem and I am trying out M & S Sateen pima cotton fitted sheet. Maybe this will helpl A pillow between my knees causes pain, due to pressure on muscles, it is better without. Because my arm muscles are weak and I have arthritis in my hands I put one hand inside my top pillow (silk) which gives support and drawn the duvet up around the other to make a sort of sling. Of course this all has to be rearranged when I turn over. By the way I sleep on my side, except for when I had a hip replacement, and didn't get much sleep for 6 weeks until the blessed day the consultant said I could sleep on one side. It is all such a performance isn't it? Struggling to find what is right for us. I really do think it is very much an individual thing, what works for one doesn't work for another, which is why is it such a hard condition to treat successfully. Good luck to everyone, let's hope Xyrem is made available for sleep problems so far only prescribed for narcolepsy, but it apparently is a huge help in sleep problems in fibromyalgia.
Genie65
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia