Itchy wet ears - do you suffer too?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Itchy wet ears - do you suffer too?

Postby Pretzelnut » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:42 pm

This 1st started 7 years ago.

I have never been able to shift it, my ears itch so bad I can make them sore where the itching breaks the skin and they can then scab over. I try and soothe the itch by gently twirling a cotton bud in there now, and (touch wood, I manage to not cause any damage as I'm super gentle now). They itch so bad some days. Other days they trickle with clear fluid. I put a cotton bud in to soak it up so it doesn't start the itching and the cotton bud comes out soaked.

It's in both ears and over the years I have had various creams and drops but its still here. (Doctor has never referred me to ENT, just insists its stress related and that I "clean" my ears whereas others may twiddle their hair, to soothe themselves, which is not the case)

I refuse to let anyone ram those digital thermometers in my ears as they damage my ears cos they are so rough some times and this sets the itch, scab, itch, scab cycle all over again.

Once my ears begin to scab over it can take between 6-12 weeks for them to heal. Meanwhile I still get the itch but can't scratch it cos of the scabs.

I read somewhere else that itchy ears are a sign of FM, I'm just wondering if anyone else suffers as well.

I also recently got rushed to hospital after my nose started to gush clear fluid, they thought it may have been cerebral fluid, the ENT examination was inconclusive, the fluid came out so quick we could never catch any for testing.
Pretzelnut
UKFM Member

Re: Itchy wet ears - do you suffer too?

Postby linedancer99 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi, Yes I get this too. My doctor diagnosed wet eczema and when I need them he prescribes drops.
They seem to work really well. Not sure if it is fibro related or not.
Hope you can get some relief. xxx
linedancer99
UKFM Member

Postby animeemo3 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:11 pm

oh my god yes! my ears have itched so bad and for so long, the only relief i can get now is scratching my eardrum with a cotton bud =[ gp just gave me drops, but they dont work lol
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby Shar66 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Mine itch too. I thought it was a side effect from meds but must be cos of the Fibro. You live and learn. I also get an itchy throat right at the back. Does anyone else get that too?
Shar66
UKFM Newbie

Postby FinkyDink » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Oh yeah sometimes I think my brain itches, but never associated it with fibro!
FinkyDink
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:37 pm

I also have itchy ears, it feels like something has crawled in there and is wriggling around. I also get itchy throat and have had every year since child hood. It has been linked to allergies. I have had to cut some foods out, wheat, nightshade family, most dairy etc. I drink a lot of water now, drink less tea and avoid all sweeteners as they put a strain on the liver and adrenal system.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby Gig » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:23 am

I have also been suffering from itchy ears for over a year. ENT told me I havr eczema in the inner ear canal.
It has also caused my face to swell when it gets really bad. I get drops for my ears but im using them every 2nd week and have to avoid getting them wet.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Gig
UKFM Member

Postby Pretzelnut » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:26 am

Thanks for all your responses, I shall raise this with my GP next time I'm there, as I have felt it rearing its ugly head this week after being clear for a month.
Pretzelnut
UKFM Member

Postby spencebel » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:50 am

I too have very itchy ears, what does not help me, is ear plugs, i have to wear them to block out all noise, or else i carn't sleep...........but i am now waking up lots of times, with the itch in my ears... No win situation. :evil: I makes me so mad.
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby Tracie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:02 am

Think it's part of eczema I have drops for my ears.
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby blueeyes64 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:36 pm

I get it mainly in my left ear and NP said eczema and prescribed some drops.Im wondering if its what's causing me to feel off balance at times and have weird visual disturbances and tinitis.
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Well you live and learn ...just thought it was my little quirk /habit never even thought about it being linked with FM.
Know what you mean Spencebel , if I have to wear ear plugs (OH a snorer so at times only solution to that problem ) I will end up with very itchy ears for a day or two and not want to put the ear plugs in again.

Amazing what you learn on here from week to week .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Flash » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:55 am

I'm unsure as to whether itchy ears is a F/M thing as I know many people who have the same problem and do not have fibro. My son get's it, as does my sister and friends. Most suffer with allergies or hayfever, Some have mentioned eczema which is usually an allergic reaction. Just a thought.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby Flaw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Yes!

I am forever sitting with a finger in my ear wiggling it about. I'll use anything else that's available too- like the end of my glasses!

Perhaps I should mention it to my GP and see info can try some drops.
Flaw
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia