Hot tubs, do you use one.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hot tubs, do you use one.

Postby Pretzelnut » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:33 am

I was wondering if anyone uses a hot tub to ease pain.

For the past few months my body has been screaming for a dip in a hot tub, but there are no private ones near me and I don't fancy going to a gym or pool where I have to share.

I would prefer the time to relax and unwind without other peoples screaming children driving me nuts as I'm trying to get a break from my ow devil children :oops:

I don't live in a house where I could have my own unfortunately, my house in on the 1st and 2nd floor and i dont have a garden just a garage. Plus I wouldnt be able to afford to buy or run one on a permanent basis anyway.

Even a spa bath from a posh hotel room would do some days.

A mini massage. Oh I do like to dream.

I do wonder sometimes what the local hot tub centre would do, if I just dived in one one day and hit all the buttons :-?
Pretzelnut
UKFM Member

Re: Hot tubs, do you use one.

Postby Tracie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:05 am

I find the village hotels gym are great nice pool not many kids where as local pool is full of screaming kids,only problem is you have to share the jacuzzi with others I do find it helps and so does the sauna.
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby motherconfessor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:16 pm

I have a laz-y-spa, like a hot tub but cheaper, and use it every day, got it in the summerhouse in the garden, but I have seen a slightly smaller one for sale in my local homebase about £300 I think, which would fit in a garage.

Its wonderful and somedays is the only thing that allows me to feel comfortable.

Its also great on days like today, only have it heated to about 35/36C and it cools me down too. If you can afford it I would really recommend.
motherconfessor
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:35 am

Hot tubs and me are best friends....however the Fentanyl patches don't like them. ...

I hop in the hot tub when ever I can. In fact I just got out of one My hubby and I are in Indiana in the US for the weekend. He thought I hurt so much last week he would take me away for weekend. We always get a room with a jacuzzi in it. I am use to having one nightly it really helps. I have to be careful though because if the patches get too hot they release the drug too quickly.

If you can manage to find a place to use one you will not regret it. As suggested...check local hotels, B&B's, community pools etc.. Explain your condition and they may allow you to use theirs. Also, check with your GP, some hospitals have them and can be used for therapy if prescribed by your Dr.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi Pretzel

My parents got me this bath mat thing that you attach to a long pipe that gets plugged into a unit in the wall. It gives the effect of a hot tub/jaccuzzi and it has been a Godsend to me lol.

I suffer with a lot of pain in my legs and feet and I find it really helps after a long day. The massage effect really helps ease the pain and I can feel the effects for hours afterwards. It wasn't that expensive and I think it was from Tesco Direct.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby leigh73 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:21 pm

I bought a lazy spa one before i was diagnosed to help with back pain. I use mine nearly everyday. Helps with the pain & helps me to relax...like a time out of everyday stuff. Definately worth the £300 it cost me.
leigh73
UKFM Member

Postby latmaz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:56 am

my pool/gym is at a hotel and there are no children during weekdays so no screaming kids, like u i am escaping my own lol. we are very luck there is and indoor and outdoor spa, yes we have to share but only with adults and i am often on my own in there.

why dont u investigate any local hotels see if they have something similar. mine is in essex if thats any help

they do make a difference to my pain level, not sure what will happen with the patches i have just started using in them but i am not willing to give up my jacuzzi!!!!
latmaz
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:45 pm

What patches do you use? I wear patches, Fentanyl. They do stay on in the water but I always check to make sure they have. With the ones I use you have to be careful not to heat your body up too much or the patches will release too much of the drug. Read the instructions and see what they say. I go in hot baths and jacuzzi's/ hot tubs. I have a couple of times heated too much and the drug realeased quickly. Side effects for me were...lethargic, shallow breathing and I was ready for new patches before I should have been.

Enjoy, but read about the patches or check with pharmacy or GP.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby latmaz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:46 pm

whoami i have literally jus started (yesterday) using Butrans patch so have not used it in the jacuzzi yet to see if it comes off. i usually sit in them for 10-15mins. luckily right now i am using the outside one that is not too hot but in the winter the inside one is much hotter so i shall have monitor that from what u are saying

have to say i would rather give up the patch than the jacuzzi but then again i dont know what difference the patch will make to the pain levels, right now i have a massive headache and feel nauseous so could be yet another thing i cant take

thanks for the info and warning!!!
latmaz
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:10 pm

the headache and nausea may be a symptom of the med that will go away once you have it in your system
I know with Fentanyl I had nauseous feelings for a few days. I must say, I would give up the hot tub before Fentanyl, not because of addiction, rather it works for me, LOl
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia