Holiday abroad

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Holiday abroad

Postby ouchiemama » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:57 am

Hi there, I am just back from 10 days in lanzarote, was really worried what it was going to be like, so the travelling there wasnt much fun - 4 hour train journey & plane :yikes: hate flying but had valium from the doc which eased the panic a bit! Anyway so first day was a bit sore & tired but day 2 onwards was amazing! What a difference! I still woke up in pain & really stiff but after tablets was fine & pain was only at like 1-2 instead of the 6-10 ive been struggling with this whole year so far! Was amazing, not sure if its the sun, rest - cos didnt do much apart from lay in the sun, no housework, cooking etc & kids were really good, spent most time in the pool so overall was very unstressfull :-D

But last day I realised I was out of painkillers :( so it wasnt great but wasnt too bad as still just lay & chilled..journey home was never gonna be fun even if i had tablets - up at 3am, flight as 7am, train at 3pm - 6.30..pretty exhausting for anyone...for me hell!! So by time I got home was in agony, it honestly felt like as soon as I stepped off the plane..even though it was hot here, I was back ouchie mamma!!

Got up this morn, felt actualy not too bad, shower, washing on, hoover...then collapse!!! Im shattered, my legs ache, my back aches, shoulders solid & up at my ears again, feet burning, calves buzzing..possibly over done it this morning??

I just wanted to know how it is possible to be like 2 different people...probably a mix of the sun & relaxation & no stress but its so frustrating, I really thought I was cured!!

I did look up some other similar topics but just wanted to share my experience & see if anyone had any experiences/ideas to share?!?
Im thinking how can I be fine, then not..can imagine other people thinking oh aye fine to go away on hols then ill again just like that...cos that is what I am thinking myself!! :crazy:
XXX
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Re: Holiday abroad

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:08 am

This tends to happen because you've dared to have a bit of time where you've pretty much been able to ignore the things that normally plague you. So now that you're back and in your "normal" time, FM has decided to remind you that it's still there by biting you on the bum big time. It lets you fall into that false sense of security, then when you least expect it, or think that you might have got away with things flaring up, floors you in one sweep and leaves you feeling as you are at the moment.

If you take things a little steadier that you might do normally, things will hopefully start to settle back down for you soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Graygirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:26 am

I spend all year longing for my two weeks in the sun, having found that whenever I spend a couple of weeks in Mediterranean sunshine, relaxing, swimming, reading and eating lovely meals, I feel so much better. Warm/hot weather means that I can wear loose, floaty clothes, which are really comfy, and although I have to be careful of the sun because I've had skin cancer, the sunshine I do allow myself tops up my Vitamin D levels. That in turns means that I am in less pain from the fibro. It's my two week break from feeling really poorly. The only disadvantage is coming home again. I got back a fortnight ago and I still haven't finished the unpacking!

I do hope you feel better soon. :blowkiss:
Graygirl
UKFM Member

Postby mililly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:38 pm

I have to say i was the total opposite booked last yr diagnosed this may. My holiday was really painful from the start. I had fentanyl patches oromorph and amytryptoline and there wasnt a day when i wasnt in agony so i was glad to get home..inly to now be told its not fybro and im still. under investigation.
mililly
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:45 pm

Milly....may I ask what you are being investigated for? Are the Dr's suggesting you do not have fibro?
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby mililly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi yes i started with trouble in feb. Had blood tests showed inflammation sen to rheumatology she examined me said no sign of inflammation adj my meds said come back in 8wks. I went backsaw some else told meit was fy ro. More blood tests and within a wk i was called back as cpr was high at 56. Went back saw the first one again who said process of elimination and not definately fybro. She thinks its poly myalgia rheumatica...bit fedup with it to say the least
mililly
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Glad you had a good time but not surprised at all about the home coming :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: break things back in slowly remember to pace pace pace and :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: that nice chilled feeling will show a bit of its face :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Tracie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:52 pm

good you had a nice holiday
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby ouchiemama » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks for replies & good (but not really) to hear its kinda normal. Im so frustrated today, Im in agony again & its so frustrating...I also feel like a total fraud like ye im near fine when on holiday but ill now im home again!!! I just dont get it! Almost wish I hadnt gone as atleast I wouldnt of remembered what it was like to feel well then for it all to come crashing down again & have to try & get used to it again!!!

Sorry Im ranting on, im just so peed off with it!!

:scream-1: :scream-1: But :grouphug: too! xx
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:40 am

Dont worry about the rant, I'm afraid that's fibro all over try the best you can to relax cos that was probably what was helping you when you were abroad as you weren't worrying about all the normal family stuff that jumps up and bites us on the :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby latmaz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:39 pm

ouchie rant away, i do lol

i am the same tho a few days away in the warmth and relaxing i feel like a different person, then u come back and wham its all back again. its so frustrating isnt it?

its one of the reasons i wonder whether living abroad part of the time would be a good idea. i think about it a lot but my son is too young to be left so its not possible right now. maybe something to consider for the future tho?

dont wish u hadnt gone tho, it was nice to feel good even if it was only a couple weeks. maybe u could find a way to do it more often but dont ever regret it and u are definitely NOT a fraud

x
latmaz
UKFM Member

Postby ouchiemama » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Thank you lovelies :-D

Im feeling slightly less annoyed today, it just uses up energy that I dont have & should be using for other more important things! So I am going to try & chill out, my girls are away to their dads for a week & my son (5) is away for weekend, so there wont be the usual volume of housework so thats good, I should be be less stressed!

Thanks again & hope you are all having a good day :grouphug: xx
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Postby Michelle cheltenham » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:34 am

I was diagnosed with fm last month after endless injections painkillers and then a A&E admission where my neck literally locked in agony, my pain clinic doctor asked how I got on in Greece in may and I explained I didn't get 1 headache ( these have been horrific for over 2 yrs and only getting respite from them for 1-2 days a week, he explained how he has had many of his patients with fm pack up and move abroad, it's July now and red hot and again no headaches and pains less severe, goes to show the heat makes my body a lot more bearable to live with
Michelle cheltenham
UKFM Newbie

Postby stodgers » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:10 pm

I always feel a million times better when abroad in the sun and even in the sun here to the point I forget to take my meds as the pain is barely there. I would move abroad if I could!
stodgers
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia