flare ups

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

flare ups

Postby Faith12 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:12 pm

How do your doctors respond when you have a flare up? Are they sympathetic, do they know what to do. What meds .do you use?? I have been treated without compassion and care in these circumstances . The doctors have no idea what to do and have sent me away in severe pain being told to help myself. There are no fm clinics at any of our local hospitals so no wonder there is. no joined up thinking to help us.
Faith12
UKFM Member

Re: flare ups

Postby denys » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:18 pm

I get compassion even if they cant suggest anything to do, they look at the meds and see if anything can be tweaked etc. but I have had this condition long enough to know that if I am in a flare the only thing you can realistically do is ride it out and just take a little more care of yourself till things settle down again. Sorry to hear you dont get that care, have you thought of changing doctors :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby mikecarter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm in the middle of one at the moment. I cant raise my arms or use them for anything as it is so painful, sleep is very difficult due to the pain. Taking my normal cocktail, Tramadol, Naproxen, Amitriptyline, still not sure if they help, but daren't come off given the current level of pain. Oh well soldier on.
mikecarter
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:45 pm

I must say I have excellent Dr's. If it gets bad enough I go to emerg and am put on an IV. Usually though, I try a hot bath with epsom salts. I have started using arnica gel for pain in legs, knees, hands and hips with great results.

It is very hard when your Dr is not much help. Can you look for a new GP? I am sure there are others here with lots of information.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:52 am

I've been lucky with pretty much everyone I have seen and have been treated with understanding and respect. When things are at their worst, my current meds have been looked at to see if anything can be increased and/or changed to help me, even for the short term, to make things that bit more manageable and comfortable.

Like Denys tho, I've had this condition for a good while now, and have learned the hard and painful way that the best way to manage a flare is to ease back on what I do and just ride it out until I'm back to a point where I am finding things more manageable again.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby trev5452 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:51 am

When I get a flare up I have to really cut back on what I'm doing, the pain stops me from sleeping, and I too flail about in bed, normally I actually fall out of bed, usually bumping my head!

Moving to our caravan, and taking the stressful things out of my life has been a miracle, I'm feeling much better, I realise that everyone with this condition can't do what we've done due to their own particular circumstances, but if you can do this, please give it a go, it does work.

I'm 61 and don't want stress in my life anymore, everything we can, we have put on pay as you go, so we don't have big bills to deal with, we know where we are all the time, live simply, and it has made a big difference.

I'm much better for the children and grandchildren, and, I'm beginning to smile and laugh again, this is a terrible illness, and I read and digest all posts, and I feel deeply for all who suffer.
trev5452
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:16 pm

My folks retired to the coast a few years ago Trev, and like you, they think it is the best think they have ever done. They are so much more relaxed and happy, which seems to be infectious as whenever we go and see them, it makes a difference to us as well. Even just a weekend with them has a lovely effect, I just wish I could bottle the feeling for me to keep topping up on it. Our family joke now is that we're going to make sure they're looking after our coastal home when we go and visit 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Going to live on the coast is something we'd love to do, but at the moment it's not feasible for us to do, what with OH working and offspring currently studying for his A Levels :( :( :( But who knows what the future holds for us, one day we could find ourselves in the right position for it to become our reality :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Faith12 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:38 pm

I did change doctors and got the lack of interest and compassion from them too. No wonder I started to blame myself and fall apart.My cardiologist nurse sent a letter to GPs saying this woman needs to be helped when I cried all the time, I have had many illnesses to cope with and have had unhelpfull doctors at times but nothing like the bad treatment I have just had for the past eight months
Faith12
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia