My legs don't belong to me!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

My legs don't belong to me!

Postby ouch potato » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:04 am

Hi everyone

Does anyone else feel like their legs 'aren't there'? I know that sounds strange but sometimes I get this sensation in my thighs - it's so hard to describe. imagine you have walked up 1000 steep steps, and when you get to the top your legs are like jelly and unable to support you. That's how my legs feel sometimes and it's really scary (and very annoying). Not painful, just like they're going to collapse under you.

I do take a stick with me when I go out most days, but this sensation just makes me have to stop and rest until they return to normal. I can't even manage the 5 minute walk back from my daughter's school without taking a break.

Anyone else?
ouch potato
UKFM Newbie

Re: My legs don't belong to me!

Postby medievalpoet » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:28 am

This sounds like chronic fatigue, which is currently my main problem. I've been like you, not able to do the school run properly, or very slowly, and I find if I have a bad day I can't stand for long or walk far at all. Are you newly diagnosed. Unfortunately, the only thing that seems to help me is rest, tiny bits of walking to keep mobile, accepting help when I can and being open with people when you can't cope. Do you have much support?

Big hugs,

Anna
medievalpoet
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:36 am

I often describe various body parts as belonging to someone else with how they feel, usually after I've done too much or had one of those nights where I'm twitching and flailing about that much that I wake myself up.

I've just come back from :dogrun1: and somehow, without me knowing, I've come back with someone else's legs as they are really heavy and achy, which is an indicator for me that CFS is vying for dominance today :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby trev5452 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 am

I felt the same way around Christmas and the New Year and into Jan/Feb, we made the decision to move to Skegness and bought a nice caravan, the change has been remarkable, I don't use the stick anymore, can walk the dog. Don't get me wrong, I have had 2 flareups in 9 weeks, but nothing as bad as I had experienced. Over the past 2 years I have been under severe stress and anxiety, due to two close family bereavements and a friend tried to commit suicide. The lifestyle change has worked and I really feel alive again.
trev5452
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sandii5 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:59 am

I absolutely know the feeling I wake with someone elses legs every morning, its like someone in my dream world I've run 2 marathons and now I'm paying the price. I love the sunshine but it fools me into thinking I can do more that I can, I walk the dog and before I know it I have legs that weigh a ton each I feel like an astronaut with pain coursing through my legs, every step is awful and I can't use a stick as my wrists are so weak :( .
The sch run for me is non existent, my little one is in preschool and my other son is at primary and I feel like i'm missing some of the best parts of their life :( .
I still remain positive that it'll get better or more to the point i'll have better longer days soon, so my only advice is to take it easy and listen to your body, hard to do when newly diagnosed (I was only diagnosed in May) but it will help.
Thinking of you xx
Sandii5
UKFM Member

Postby ouch potato » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:08 am

Hi, and thanks for the replies.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago. It got a bit complicated as I was in shed loads of pain, and crippling fatigue. My GP at the time diagnosed FM, but another dr removed that dx as it wasn't 'presenting' properly at the time I saw her (however, I was having a break from the pain, a kind of remission which lasted about 6 months). I am now being seen for suspected ankylosing spondylitis and due to see the rheumatologist next week, and I know that some form of arthritis is causing the pain, and can cause fatigue. However, as it is not just joints that hurt, but the muscles and tendons etc in between I still think I have FM.

I have thought about CFS; I get so exhausted sometimes; I have just hoovered the living room and am totally wiped!

Trev, I would love to move to the coast, simple living would do me the world of good I am sure. With the kids doing exams etc it is just not possible. I am glad to hear it worked out for you though. Maybe one day.

Fluppy - lol@ the idea of bringing someone else's legs home! Hope you find your own soon.

Mediaevalpoet - are FM and CFS interchangeable? I mean can you have both and have days when one is more dominant than the other? I have 3 wonderful kids (2 are teenagers) who are a great support, so I am not alone thankfully.

Well, must see if my legs will allow me to hoover another room! My mum is coming to stay tomorrow for a few days so it needs to be clean!
ouch potato
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:08 pm

ouch potato wrote:I have thought about CFS; I get so exhausted sometimes; I have just hoovered the living room and am totally wiped!

Mediaevalpoet - are FM and CFS interchangeable? I mean can you have both and have days when one is more dominant than the other? I have 3 wonderful kids (2 are teenagers) who are a great support, so I am not alone thankfully.

Well, must see if my legs will allow me to hoover another room! My mum is coming to stay tomorrow for a few days so it needs to be clean!

It is possible to have both FM and CFS together, I've got both cards in my collection, and when I get the heavy and achyness, that's how I know it's the more dominant of the two. The FM is still bubbling away under things and adding it's effects into the mix, but is being partially held off by the fatigue wanting to be in charge.

I' keep looking for my own legs, sometimes I come across some that almost feel right, but so far I haven't found the ones I definitely used to have. If I come across some that are longer and more shapely than mine tho, I'm keeping them, no matter how strange they may feel :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Dancing angel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:53 am

I have the same problem with my legs. If I walk further than 10 or 15 meters they feel like lead and as light as a feather at the same time. It's a weird feeling, it like having legs of lead but feeling as light a feather as well. this morning I have duck feet. They flap down when I walk. Does any one feel,as tough they have an iron bar through their hips?
Dancing angel
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:46 am

love all teh descriptions of your legs folks , never knew legs could come i so many varieties.
Fraid mine are dumpy , heavy and in need of repair or else need frequent stops just to keep going
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby binty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:37 am

I often experience this. It usually takes me 3 or 4 days of not doing anything to find my own legs again. I sure someone steals them like a thief in the night. It's so frustrating along with all the other symptoms.
binty
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:35 pm

god i hate that , i also start to shake when my legs are like that.so as u can see your not alone on this onex
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia