exercise

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

exercise

Postby Wackers34 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:54 pm

What does everyone do for exercise everyday, whether it be walking or stretches or swimming. How long a session do you manage...housework or just general gardening included.

Im starting to do nothing again and getting into a whirlwind of work and bed and not much walking or stretching.

For people with both CFS and Fibro, i would be interested also to see what exertion levels you are capable of

I was going well in the gym once or twice a week and then I just stopped, havent gone back...too scared im going ot get ill..i think it will probably help me sleep more if I exercise a bit
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: exercise

Postby frances A » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:08 pm

i read somewhere- in a fibro booklet- that sufferers should do gentle exercise for up to 10 mins a session. i am in pain somewhere all the time- 24/7- but try to lead a normal life. i find housework, shopping- to, round and back from town- a spot of gardening, sometimes a bit of decorating and other pastimes are all i can manage. i am 73- should i be taking other exercise as well, would that help ease the pain? i've had this for over 30 years.
frances A
UKFM Member

Postby Otter65 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:15 pm

i try to do my Tai Chi exercises for about 10 - 15 mins a day just to get things going, I go to a class every week where we do the full form but I cannt remember all the moves unless I have someone to follow.

The warm up exercises are easier to remember :-D

Its well worth a try has definately make me a lot better

Sarah xx
Otter65
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:19 pm

I wish I had time to exercise, but I'm too busy :(
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Wackers34 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Yeah I don't get much time either..work 4 days a week and also have two small kids to look after.

I think I may have CFS also, but not diagnosed yet...so really I would love to know what people do with both conditions...does walking help and gradually build yourselves up? Im frightened of making myself worse if I do have CFS :O(
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:01 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary frances :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
frances A wrote:i find housework, shopping- to, round and back from town- a spot of gardening, sometimes a bit of decorating and other pastimes are all i can manage. i am 73- should i be taking other exercise as well, would that help ease the pain? i've had this for over 30 years.

It sounds like you're already quite active, which is always good as it helps with keeping things flexible and moving. If you feel you could do something else, then you could always look into something such as yoga, T'ai Chi or something else that takes your fancy, there may be suitable classes in your area. Whilst exercise helps us keep bobbling along, it doesn't always help with easing pain levels, altho it does help boost those feel~good chemicals in our bodies, and when you feel good, it can help make dealing with things like pain just that bit more manageable.

My exercise mostly involves being walked by the doglet, this can be anything from three quarters of an hour to an hour and a half a day, split into 2 very steady trips in the morning and afternoon. I also do a series of stretches each day to help with stiffness which I try to tailor to the parts of me that need it the most each time.

I'm also up and down the garden on a regular basis thru the day to see to the :chicken: :chicken-dance: wrestle washing onto and off the line and to make sure various things we have growing aren't drying out. I also try and do bits of housework that I can manage.

From the CFS point, I try to stick to doing things for set periods of time. The most I can manage when things aren't quite as bad is 7~8 mins. On the days when it feels like all~out war is breaking out in my body, I can only manage about half that time, so tend to use the advert breaks in programs as my timing guide when the tv is on.

Finding your baseline, then building things up in suitably sized steps can help improve things, but it needs to be dome at a suitable rate for you. If you think you may have CFS as well, it might be worth seeing if you can be referred to your local CFS Service as they would be able to help you with finding suitable ways for you to approach things that you can use on a daily basis.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby latmaz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:43 pm

i try and go 3 or 4 times a week. usually do 15mins in the gym but this depends, usually its the sit down bike or cross trainer. then i jacuzzi which is bliss and my treat for doing the gym - well thats how i look at it lol

after that i swim for minimum half an hour. before u get all impressed i am no cross channel swimmer, i just poodle along gently doing breast stroke or using the floats

course there are days (like the last few) when i cant barely move let alone go to gym/swim. i should also say i cant do housework, gardening etc as i have damaged discs and i also dont work so the above is my sole movements for the day
latmaz
UKFM Member

Postby Wackers34 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks all for your replies

Fluffy puppy - whats a CFS centre? I didnt know there was such a thing!

CFS really worries me more than fibro - I know it can get better for some though.

Yes I think gym work might be too much for me, I should probably stick to just work / kids and walking / stretching when I can

Thanks x
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:11 pm

CFS Service is the name for the department/clinic in my area that helps people dx'd with the condition learn more about it, how they are affected and find more suitable ways for them to live with the condition. I don't know if it's the same in all health authorities, but for the one in my area, dx~ing tends to be done at GP level or by consultant, then patients can be referred on to the service for additional help.

There tends to be some sort of service/dept/clinic for CFS in most areas, so, without want it to sound like I've got a habit of repeating myself :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Talk to your GP about your thoughts and concerns that you may have CFS, and see what is available in your area, and see what they can suggest.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby cocobella » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi Wackers,

That is ashame you are feeling as though you are doing nothing and are in the middle of a CFS 'storm' as I call it. I actually find that sometimes exercise can make me feel worse, especially high cardio like cycling on a stationary bike, even swimming has knocked me for six a few times. The next day I ache all over, and it is not like a muscle strain etc it is like I have been beaten with a baseball bat. I now do dog walking usually 40 mins a day, it isn't vigorous and is usually with my stick as it takes the pressure off my bad leg. It is just enough though and it does make me feel better. When I do longer walks I tend to suffer the next few days afterwards. This may be down to me being really unfit just now.
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby Tracie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:08 am

I swim and also go on my wii fit when I can
Tracie
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia