A strange question

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

A strange question

Postby evie15 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 pm

I wondered if anyone would have an answer to this......

If a doctor wanted to write about your personal case (life and illness) would they need to ask permission and would they need to change the name.
evie15
UKFM Member

Re: A strange question

Postby dallasuk » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:53 pm

Hello.

When my doctor wanted to discuss my fibro with a doctor in the states, she asked me first and didnt mention me by my name she just called me the subject.

So i would say yes they should ask you first & and check that you want them to use you experiences, but each surgery can have different rules, i would suggest asking at your practice.

If you dont want them talking about it ask them not to.

Hope this helps.
Tracy
dallasuk
UKFM Newbie

Postby lolo73 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Although it would be good practice to discuss it first with you they could do so. It really isn't too uncommon, for example in supervision (yes, Dr's get supervised by senior colleagues) a case might be brought up and the Dr might be asked to do a report on it specifying a particular point, like how could it be managed better or we have done this and it worked well. It must always be done in a way in which the person can't be identified though unless specific consent has been made by the patient to be identified.

Do you want to share why you are worried about this? x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby evie15 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:32 am

I sort of mean in a published paper or book or on their website.

I have a consultant and on his site he uses the cases of patients and I noticed the names are the actual names of the patients.
He also said how interesting my story is and tbh I don't want to be a case on the website and I wondered if I had any say in the matter.
evie15
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:54 am

They cannot use your information unless they ask you first as it is a breach of confidentiality, so you have an absolute right to say no
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby chookie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:25 am

They would have to refer to you as 'Case Study A' or something along those lines, it has to be anonymous
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby dianar » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:20 pm

I think it would be extremely unethical to use your personal details, i.e. name!!! In all the medical journals I read (I am a Research Psychologist), patients/case studies are referred to by number or letters, possibly their real initials, NEVER by name!
dianar
UKFM Newbie

Postby evie15 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:03 pm

dianar wrote:I think it would be extremely unethical to use your personal details, i.e. name!!! In all the medical journals I read (I am a Research Psychologist), patients/case studies are referred to by number or letters, possibly their real initials, NEVER by name!

That's what I thought, or at least changed them, but it seems to be the real names.

I just don't really want my name and life on the website or something. I am really private with my illness and things and don't want others reading about everything.

I didn't know if it was protocol to ask or if by them having these details they have the right to use them.
evie15
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Evie, put it in writing that you don't want to be used as a call study, and ask that the request is noted on/in your records. With this "express" instruction, your consultant and anyone else who accesses your records will have no choice but to abide by your request.

Doing this will mean not only is there is a record of your request, but also that it cannot be said that you gave them verbal permission, ie. an "implied" instruction about this.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia