New problems

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New problems

Postby PamelaJ » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:39 pm

So I've only been recently diagnosed but some things I've suffered from for yours. Coughing when I laugh and often having cold symptoms is par for the course, as is random aches and pains. Recurring cystitis, mild to sever chest pains (was taken into hosptial once as they suspected a heart attack but no cause was ever found) tiredness and being prone to infections again are things I've had for a very long time.

The last few years has given rise to some new ones. Last year my inner knee area was so bad I was x-rayed to check for arthritis or damage. They couldn't look healthier! My neck, shoulders and down my arms are very bad, especially on the left side and get tingling/numbness in my fingers. Also get a problem with my left wrist on the thumb side, up the side of my thumb and the whole joint. I can't lean on that hand most of the time at all.

Very recently I've had face pain (like the bones hurt), feeling like I always have something in my throat and it can be sore but not like a normal sore throat if that makes sense, shoulder blades hurt, tiredness that can come on very quickly and require me to sleep an hour or so during the day, poor sleep at night, sensitive inside ankles (fine walking, hurt when touched) and today I accidentally splashed water on myself from the shower (was cleaning) and it made my skin sting! :yikes:

There are other things but cannot think of them at the mo. My brain and even my hearing seems to be playing up and I had my hearing checked just a few weeks ago. Doctor remarked on how good it was, but it's like I don't hear the correct words? Or I forget very quickly. Nt liking that since I've always had a quick mind (only finished a degree a couple of years ago).

Is all this normal? I mean for fibro that is. Obviously not for the 'average' person. I do push myself to keep active and exercise but I seem to spend an increasing amount of time in bed. :( Am kinda hoping things will improve....maybe I should actually take more than ibuprofen and paracetamol to help too but not sure how I feel about that. Everything else I've tried so far has given me headaches, constipation or completely made me unable to function at all. *sigh*

Would a rheumatologist suggest anything beyond the gp? He's already mentioned a whole bunch of things including cognitive therapy? and various pain killer types, usually in the anti depressant range. The last one of those knocked me for 6 and that was on the lowest dose.
I guess I'd really love some good advice right now as I'm not very good at listening to it at the mo. :oops:
P.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split inti smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
PamelaJ
UKFM Newbie

Re: New problems

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:57 pm

I've split your post into smaller, clearer paragraphs to make it easier to read Pamela. This is because quite a few of us on here, myself incl, find reading larger blocks of text difficult, whereas having smaller ones means that it makes things that bit easier to follow. One of the delights that FM gives some of us :facepalm: :facepalm:

What you'll find as you read thru things on here is that, whilst we share a range of symptoms, the condition affects us all very differently. And the same applies to meds and treatments, so when you ask about things, you tend to get a variety of suggestions made, depending on how others have found things, which means you can have a lot of possibilities to explore when trying to find things that might help you.

There are a number of other conditions that are often associated or accompany FM, and reading thru what you have said, I wondered if this might be case with some of the things you have experienced. I hope you'll appreciate that we can't say that they could definitely be these particular conditions, all we can do is suggest possibilities based on our own experiences, to have things confirmed would need visits to suitable healthcare professionals for definite answers.

The chest pains you have experienced could be due to a condition called costochondritis, one of the conditions that is often associated with FM. It is an inflammation of the cartlege in and around the sternum/rib area, and has given rise to pains that others have also described as being like a heart attack. To see if it is costo, you would need to see a doc and raise the possibility of it and see what they have to say.

The thumb problem could have other possible causes apart from FM. There are a few on here who also suffer with carpal tunnel syndrome, and have described some symptoms similar to what you have. Again, it's a doc that you need to talk to about whether it could be the reason behind things.

Is the face pain you experience also accompanied with other problems like restricted jaw movement and joint noise?? If so then it could be due to another associated condition, TMJD, Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction. This linky explains more about it, incl other symptoms that problems that often come with it http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/temporo ... -syndromes To see if it could be this, a trip to a dentist and a doc would be needed.

The other things you have mentioned are all very typical of what each of us suffer at some point along the way with FM. The problem you're experiencing with forgetting things, not hearing things correctly is part of something known as FibroFog or BrainFog. No~one can explain why it happens, altho there are numerous ideas about it, but cognitive impairment is anther of the frustrating aspects of the condition. For most of us, the more fatigued we become, or the more stressed/worried we get, so the fog rolls in even more, making us become even more forgetful at times. There can be other reasons behind it of course, but for those who have undergone memory tests to see if anything else is at work, the general consensus seems to be fibro fog rather than anything else.

Hypersensitivities are part of the FM delights as well :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: The sensation you felt with the water on your leg is something most of us have had, along with the sensitivity to touch like you experience on your ankles. The sudden onset of fatigue and needing a power~nap aren't unusual either I'm afraid.

Keeping yourself active is a good thing to do, but pushing yourself too much can make things come back and really bite you in the bum, usually at the most inconvenient times. To try and minimise the chances of this happening, most of us tend to pace ourselves and learn to work within the new limits that FM gives us, as well as making sure we take plenty of rests/breaks in between doing things so that we don't burn up our energy stocks too quickly. There is a lot more about pacing across the boards, so have a look and a bit of a read. Also ask about it if there are things you're wondering about as it's another of those things that we each have our own little ways of doing.

Meds~wise, there are a number of sorts that are often used in trying to manage FM. As well as simple painkillers such as paracetamol and ibuprofen, stronger ones are needed by some of us as time progresses. Th anti~depressants that are often used are ones that have been found to help with sleep and pain problems at lower doses. This linky explains more about what can be used http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx Taking meds is a personal thing, so maybe have a look at what can be used and talk to your GP about the suitability of some of them for you.

Think I've waffled on at you for enough for now. There is lots of other info across all the boards about the things you experience and are wondering about, so maybe having a read of a few things could give you some additional info and ideas to consider.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby PamelaJ » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:42 pm

That was an amazing reply. :shock: A whole bunch of things I've never heard of. I shall find out about the chest and face issues as they are both big issues. The chest particularly. The only thing the doc (prior to moving here) ever said about it was it was intercostal pain....that's about it, and they never explained beyond that.

I totally understand about splitting the post and will try to be careful about larger blocks in future.
One other question....does anyone here find that the pain tends to be worse on one side of thier body? I only ask because I often get worse symptoms on the left half than on the right. I do get pain on the right too, but the left seems to get the lions share.
I'm gonna go check out those links now. Thanks very much for your reply. :-D
P.
PamelaJ
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:44 pm

I did a bit of looking into intercostal pain, and that seems to be related to strains and pulls and tears in the muscles around the rib cage that can come about with sudden, excessive movements of the trunk, such as those that can be associated with sports/physical activity. Everyday activities that involve bending the body, can also cause the problems, as can twisting your body in an unexpected way. Not sure if any of that applies to things that may have happened in the run up to you experiencing problems, but may be another thing to consider.

Intercostal pain treatment comes in different forms, depend on its severity. This could be be treatment by ice application, gentler exercise such as stretching, pain medication and rest.

There have been a few mentions over time about people experiencing more intense symptoms and pain on one side of the body compared to the other. At times I find that my right side is affected more than my left side, but both my GP and myself put this down to be me being right handed, and the right side of my body tends to be the one that I use more than my left with things like reaching up etc, if that makes sense :shock: :shock: :shock: Hopefully some others will be able to add their thoughts to things for you :-D :-D :-D :-D

I'm glad there was something useful in my epic waffling, hopefully some of the other info on here will help you find some answers to other wonderings you may be having as well :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:28 am

Cant add anything more than Flup already has done. Hope you get some answers and some help soon :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby PamelaJ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Interestingly when I first had the chest pain attack, which was very severe, I put it down to a fall I had as a child. Although it had been some 20 years previous to the pain it quite possibly did enough damage to eventually bite me on the rear. Being that I'd just moved to Cambridge at the time (from Dorset.....lol my moves do seem to involve large distances) it's quite possible the strain of moving set me off (picking heavy boxes up and travelling etc). Shame I've had it ever since! Thankfully the last move didn't set me off badly, but then I did use a removals company for the last one.
Oddly I am also right handed so I wonder why the worst of my pain is on the left! :crazy: :-? I suspect it relates to something I had years ago when I became quite weak on the left for no apparent reason so it's obviously a weakness in my system somewhere. It was only noticeable because I am quite muscular due to the job I used to do. As I started building them all back up in the last year I wonder if that's what has set off this problem, only this time it's not going away. :(
I'm inclined to agree with the carpal tunnel syndrome but I doubt the gp will look at that with so many other things going on. I will ask about the pain clinic that runs at Trelisk (Truro hospital) when I go Friday. My results will be back then from todays test (which hurt like billy-o) so will see if it throws anything up. Is it always this long winded, trying to find answers etc? I mean with GP's. I know mine is trying at least, it just seems that everything takes so long! Maybe it isn't long really but whilst we live with the pain (and lack of sleep because of the pain) it feels a very long time.
Thank you Denys, I hope so too. Getting a good nights sleep, pain free would be nice now. :snore1: :-D
PamelaJ
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:57 pm

Hope you manage a good nights sleep , it is something that I think we all dream about.

Can't add much more that Flup and Denys so take care and keep reading around the subject. I spent the first 3-4 months after DX reading every paper and or article I could get on FM. They say knowledge is power and knowing more about the different symptoms I was feeling and the fact they were all related in some way to the FM did make me feel more in charge. Not sure how it worked but by knowing about the symptoms it was as if I had one up on them, they couldn't sneak in un noticed! (hope that makes sense )

This was great, cause in other aspects of my life I felt very isolated and definatley not in charge of what was happening to me. Something I think all of us feel from time to time
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby PamelaJ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:28 am

Iceskatemum wrote:Hope you manage a good nights sleep , it is something that I think we all dream about.

This was great, cause in other aspects of my life I felt very isolated and definatley not in charge of what was happening to me. Something I think all of us feel from time to time

Agreed. A good nights sleep really helps. Sadly I cannot remember the last time I had an uninterrupted sleep let alone a good one! :sleep:

I am fortunate in having the support of my Mother who knows what I am going through as she has ME and has done since I was 14. She sees a lot of similarities between the two, but it's nice having contact with others in my position still at working age. I don't think she always 'gets' the fear I have since she always had money coming in from her husband (my Dad) who earned good money. I don't have that and have to rely on the carers allowance I get for my son. But he's 18 now, he won't stay at home forever...

I hate not feeling in control of my body! That it dictates to me what I can do, where before I could do so much without a thought before. Granted I have had similar 'attacks' like this in the past, but never so bad and never so prolonged. Even on better days I hurt, it's always there, in the background.
PamelaJ
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia