my arms

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

my arms

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:19 pm

where to start . my arms are killing me elbows feel like someone has been at them with a hammer.fingers the same. i no the heat isnt helping.and picking up the little one isnt doing any good for the poor arms but dammed if im stopping that. i just dont no what to do to help them . i dont want more pain killers x only good news this week is we have a new dog shes a cross rotty GS poor thing was beaten. and one prob we have is if she gets hold of cloths she wont let got and get very growly we tryed food rubs the lot we cant have her ripping things to bits and getting funny . other then that shes a doll and loves ther baby xx any help with both pls x
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Re: my arms

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Sorry, apart from applying either heat or cold, not really sure what else to suggest for your arms at the moment :( :( :( :(

WRT your new doglet, the poor girlie is going to be all confuzzled at the moment with being in a new home, and possibly a touch wary about things in case it turns out to be like where she was when she was so badly treated. I know it won't, and altho doglets mostly live "in the now" there are memories of things that can and do have an effect on them. Plus any worries and concerns you may have may be being picked up by her as well and adding to how to things at the moment.

All training that you do with her needs to be positively re~enforced, so you need to find what drives her, food or toy. When you have determined this, you can use it help get the things off her that she keeps pinching.

If she's food driven, make sure you have a supply of something tasty to hand, then when she pinches something, you can use it to encourage her to do "swapsies" where she'll let you have her treasure in return for your munchie. The command you use needs to be a calm one that won't spook her at all (hence swapsies) and said in a suitably calm yet upbeat way to help convey that her pinching things isn't really bothering you, even tho it will be to a degree until she gets into the swing of things. No matter how many times she does it, you need to be consistent in what you do, what you say and how it is said. You also need to get everyone else who will be involved with her to do the same things in the same way. If you can keep things consistent and relatively calm, it shouldn't be too long before she starts getting the message and realising that the quicker she lets go of whatever she has, the quicker she will get her "prize".

With any cross~breed, there will be elements of each breed that drive her, so it might be worth having a look for info about GSDs and Rotties and see if there are aspects in her character that you can work with to make her feel safe and secure and settled with you. It is going to take time and love to help her find her true self due to her previous life, and it will be a bit growly along the way, but it is possible to bring out the best of her.

Breed specific forums can be a good source of info as the people on there will be familiar with all aspects of the dogs, as well as cross~breeds, so maybe looking into some of them could help. Same with breed~specific rescues. The people who tend to work at the rescues are a mine of valuable info and tend to be the sort who will gladly share it with owners to make the doglet's lives the best they possibly can be. As well as pure breeds, they will have also come across numerous cross~breed variations as well, and be familiar with the sort of behaviours that can arise with particular breed mixes, as well as ways to manage them.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby PurpleRose » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi,
Can I just ask with your arms do you feel like some of the pain comes with pins and needles? I get that a lot in my left arm. Or do you get a lot of pain in your wrists and forearms aswell? And can it sometimes feel like you have dead arms, like if you use it it doesn't feel like its your own? I get this and it feels extremely strange. It also feels like my hand is like a dead weight at the and of my arms at times. This all happens on a daily basis so I know it's not because I've knocked it or anything like that.

As for your new doggy, can't suggest much, I know what it's like getting a rescue dog but mine was the other way round shying away and cowering but now he really likes to chew tea towels etc I hope she gets settled in soon!! Good luck as I know they can be hard work but once you get a handle on them they are a pleasure to have.

Xxx
PurpleRose
UKFM Member

Postby mabel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:10 pm

HAVE HAD TWO WEEKS OF BAD ARMS/ELBOWS/ FINGERS.
REALLY BAD AT NIGHT. HEAT NOT HELPING. NOT SURE HOW TO MANAGE . HAVE MADE DR. APPT. CAN'T GET RINGS OFF FINGERS. THEY USUALLY VERY LOOSE!
mabel
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:52 am

Yep, I have posted about my fingers feeling like they have been broken. My elbows and wrists are the same and I can't do much when it gets going.

I went to a café and had an apple juice, The woman put several ice cubes in and when I drank the juice, I put the ice cubes in my hands and let them melt.. Soon after, my fingers felt much better.

Hope this helps. Take care. XX
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:25 am

hi, cant add more to what has been said only i have sworn i will not iron any mor as sunday the mountain fell over so i got stuck in ,

still paying now with exactly the same so i have been resting then,

even had 2 days off work wich is rare.

hope you feel better soon,

ps i know you dont want to stop holding baby but try to avoid carryinhg them round as this will put strain on your neck and will travel down your arms.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby PamelaJ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:19 am

masonsbarms wrote:hi, cant add more to what has been said only i have sworn i will not iron any mor as sunday the mountain fell over so i got stuck in ,

still paying now with exactly the same so i have been resting then,

even had 2 days off work wich is rare.

Ironing? I avoid it at all costs. Hoovering hurts me like hell too (lol, maybe I just shouldn't do housework!) I've taken to folding washing as soon it is dry so that creases don't have a chance to form. Underloading the washing machine helps too as a full load will often crease much more. I rarely iron now, only when something is very creased or I'm going somewhere special. I also choose clothing that doesn't require ironing, such as velvet (excellent stuff, never needs an iron).

Arm pain is horrible. Mine starts in my shoulders and neck, along the top of my back and travels down the arm into the hand. Not helped by the wrist/thumb pain and tingling fingers. Some days holding the steering wheel in the car is an issue because of it, which is why I rarely do long drives any more. Saves petrol I guess.

For your child, try going down to their level more often for contact so you negate the need to pick them up so much. I know how lovely it is to hold your child but cuddling on the sofa is just as good. :-)
PamelaJ
UKFM Newbie

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:45 am

thanks for all replys. sadly the dog bite my dad last night and with a baby here we cant take the ricks :(. im gutted as she really went for him and we had dogs for over 40 years. as for my hands yes they feel dead sometime just so heavy .re baby i do get on the floor alot but i struggle to get up lol .also shes a baby on the go from the min she could walk she never sits still so unless its bed time cuddles on the setee anit going to happen :-P hope u all feeling good im finding this head a killer at night x
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 am

Sorry to hear about the dog, Painprincess. It's a shame. I have also lived with dogs all my life and have had a couple of rescue ones as well. My family have only ever had to give up one of these dogs, she was beaten terribly by the man who owned her and she came into a home with a baby. She bit my dad and although we wanted to keep trying, it was very risky with an inquisitive little one around. My step mum put her foot down and the dog went to a new home. She grew much more aggressive.

I had one who was also beaten and pushed from one cruel home to another. She was with me for several years before my son arrived and she was wonderful with him and later, his brother.

As for the numbness you sometimes feel, have you had your neck checked? It sounds similar to me and I have nerve trouble in my neck.

It's difficult when the little ones are at the active stage, we don't have enough arms as it is and need eyes in the backs of our heads. I hope you find some relief soon. It's getting cooler now, that might help a bit, hopefully!!!!

Take care. XX
Flash
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia