diognosed this week..

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

diognosed this week..

Postby armfaw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:23 am

and feeling rubbish. :cry: waiting to see a rheumatologist.. I seem to hurt more now than I did before dr told me I have it.. my neck shoulders and back are killing me, also pains in my shins, arms. how bad dose this get? am I going to get so bad I cant work? or get out of bed?. do anything for myself. I work at the moment, have a horse to look after, he has cushings and needs meds daily , a cat who is hyperthyroid needs daily meds. I try to ride him as often as I can, though not rode much in the last yr. I did my cbt last yr hoping to do my big bike test, that's not going to happen now is it?.. we just got a mortgage to buy our first house together, now I have had to cut my hours at work from 30 + down to 15 hours per week.. and am worried its not going to be enough to pay the bills. my partner is in a great job, but he shouldn't have to pay for everything. I should be helping... can I just force myself to keep going? even though it really really hurts? some days I cant walk, pain in my lower back down my butt and leg... I cant even sit or lie down with out screaming... I hate it..don't want to stop horse riding or the motor bikes. i cant remember a day without pain, been in pain for around 20 yrs, after a epidural.. that they put in the wrong place and didn't work anyway, still felt everything..(childbirth)..
armfaw
UKFM Member

Re: diognosed this week..

Postby BonnGayle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi and welcome to the boards
I'm sorry your feeling so down , its really hard to come to terms with and makes you go .. :scream-1: :too-upset: :pull-hair:
but you just have to adapt and yes..grin through the pain sometimes, take a look through the forums here and you can pick up lots of ideas personally I find Pacing helps me a lot that means you plan what you need to do and do it in small chunks with rest times in between.
I now use a walking stick if I am going to be walking for more than about 20 mins, that was a mental barrier for me because I didnt want to be seen with one but now I'm used to it its a big help.
I have discussed my condition with my work and they have been very understanding but I'm only contracted for 20 hours anyway so thats workable for now :)
has your Dr given you anything to help you ?
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Postby Pretzelnut » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:24 pm

I know what my future holds as my mum has fibro. So days I think it's a good thing, knowing whats coming. Other days I wish I livedin blissful ignorance.

Like you I had a spinal block for a c-section that didn't work and I felt everything. Due to a previous baby loss I refused to let them knock me out so I had the whole op on gas and air. I then went into severe shock which the nurses failed to notice. It was very traumatic.

I've only recently been diagnosed but This happened 11 years ago. I have been writing a history to see if I can pinpoint what triggered it initially.

For me I have great days where fibro is almost forgotten, then wham it knocks me for 6. I have to pace myself and adjust in a daily basis. If I do something like take the kids out for a family day, I know that the following 2 days I will be shattered and in a lot if pain. As I'm newly diagnosed I forget to pace myself, I'm still trying to do everything like I used to. I feel like I went to sleep one night a young very active healthy woman and woke up a frail ill old lady.

It's taking a lot of adjusting and just as I feel like I've got on top of it, something new crops up.

Don't stop riding. It will be better medivation than any drugs the doctors can give you if its something you love and enjoy. I'm a photographer and it broke my heart when I began struggling to hold my camera as it hurts my arms and shoulders. But I am slowly working around that by changing my photo style and making adaptations. One thing I've learnt with fibro is that everything takes time and can't be rushed.
Pretzelnut
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:32 pm

How you're feeling at the moment is fairly typical of what happens after you've been told you have FM I'm afraid :( :( :( It's as if the overwhelming enormity of the condition swamps you all at once, making things seem pretty much impossible to deal with at first.

It's not easy to say how things will be where FM is concerned due to it's vagueness and unpredictability. Things may stay as they are for you, or they could intensify, or you could be one of the very few lucky ones who find that they have periods where things seem to pretty much vanish and they can carry on living a "normal life" or that they happen to find the right cocktail for controlling their symptoms which makes things so much better.

There's no reason why you still can't fulfil your dreams. It may take you a little longer to get there, but things are still achievable. Even with what this condition throws at us, it's not unusual to find that there is a lot more resolve and strength inside us than we ever anticipated we could have.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby armfaw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:40 pm

thanks everyone... :-) had a nap feeling a bit better now..still reading about fibro, still not sure what it is really?...
armfaw
UKFM Member

Postby DRM » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:07 pm

Hey there, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed 18 months ago & there's no point lying, it's a horrible condition. The good news is fibro itself is not progressive, so you shouldn't get worse and will hopefully improve with the right meds. I work full time in an office and while it is a struggle, especially in winter for me, I cope. Good luck coming to terms with it, and finding the right path for you x
DRM
UKFM Member

Postby armfaw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:55 pm

I am a cleaner and travel a lot I can do anything from 30-50 hours a week.i am a area relief covering for sick holiday and vacancys.. . I have ask not to do the driving side of it and be put in a permanent site, so I will be doing 15 hours a week from next week...
armfaw
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia