Is this normal for Fibro?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is this normal for Fibro?

Postby Purpledot » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:20 am

Hi guys

I was just wondering if anyone here suffers from constant, seriously debilitating imbalance/vertigo?

Along with the fatigue, this has always been my most dominant symptom, but since November it has been getting worse and worse. I can no longer stand or walk unaided, and feel constantly imbalanced and sick. I also experience dizziness if I move around too quickly, and a horrible 'ill' feeling in my head which is definitely linked to the imbalance (the best way to describe this ill feeling is like sea-sickness, but it's not exactly like that). My GP has tried me on a couple of tablets normally used for vertigo/travel sickness, but they have just made me feel worse.

I am seeing a Neurologist in September following an abnormal brain scan, but 2 doctors have told me they do not think what is showing up on the brain scan is causing my symptoms.

I also have ME, and my GP seems to thing this is a major ME flare-up, but I just cannot accept that something this specific and severe can be caused by the ME or Fibro. The problem is, because of the Fibromyalgia, when I lay down still to help the ill feeling I stiffen up and get more pain! Bit of a vicious circle at the moment!

I am experiencing problems with my neck and shoulders and back in general at the moment, and am going to ask the GP to have my neck investigated.........am I right in thinking that some neck problems can cause dizziness/balance issues?

I have been seen by ENT who have ruled out any inner ear problems.

If any of you have similar symptoms I would be really interested to hear about it.

Thanks xx
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Re: Is this normal for Fibro?

Postby Moobaloo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:57 am

Yes! I get terribly dizzy to the point where I've keeled over in the park while I was walking the dog (and was on my own) and I also fell down my stairs at home, breaking my foot in the process.

My GP gave me some pills to take but performed the Epley manoeuvre, which has helped but not stopped the dizziness
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby Purpledot » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks for the reply, Moobaloo.

I'm so sorry you experience the same sort of thing. It's horrible, isn't it?

I, too, fell down the stairs a few months ago and sprained both my ankles! At least I didn't break anything - poor you! How did you get on with crutches? I had to refuse them as I can't put any weight on my hands!

I do get the 'spinning' dizziness you speak of, but my main problem is the constant feeling of imbalance, which means nothing ever feels quite right, and standing and walking are really difficult and confusing. It feels as if I am telling my legs what to do but they don't know how to do it! Sounds really weird, I know, but that's how it feels!

I have booked an appointment to see my GP on Monday and will try and pursue the neck issue.

Thanks again for your reply, and take it easy!
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby Rothesay » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:22 pm

My step-daughter suffered from vertigo and dizziness and after a lot of investigations it was discovered that she is gluten intolerant. Now on a gluten free diet she is fine.
Rothesay
UKFM Newbie

Postby E-Bunny » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi,

I have spouts of sever vertigo and dizzyness !! i was dx with meniere's disease.. maybe worth a mention to your GP ?

Tina x
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm sure teh Docs are looking at all possibilities but can't say it is like any FM symptom I've experienced . While I have periods of unsteddiness, I can't remember having lost my footing etc,just wobbled a bit and felt very queasy. I thought it was possibly linked to meds rather than FM itself.

good luck with the Doc please let us know how you get on

Soft hugs
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Moobaloo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:02 pm

I know exactly what you mean about the unsteadiness - I describe it as if the floor isn't quite where I expect it to be.

I've got a couple of friends with fibro who both experience the same thing.

Sorry not to be of more help! Maybe mention the Epley manoeuvre to your gp - or watch a video on youtube and have a go yourself at home!
It's not hard & worth a go :)
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 pm

I have suffered with balance problems and vertigo since things first started appearing over 13 years ago. I was initially dx'd with Meniere's Disease, but after 4 years of not responding to meds, treatments etc and undergoing numerous tests which also didn't show up the type of things that were usually expected with Meniere's, the audiologist who I originally saw in the early days of things happened had me referred back to her again (by chance) and remembered me from my first appt. She dug out all the stuff she had sent after my first visit, which said as nothing indicating Meniere's was showing up in any of my tests, she was of the opinion that my problem was migraine~related, based on others that she had seen with very similar symptoms/problems.

I still have the problems now, they're at their worst when my head is on it's way to going into full scale nuclear meltdown :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: When I was having migraines pretty much on a daily basis, I was pretty much all over the place, but on the days when I am migraine~free, altho not headache~free as that never goes, I'm not quite as unsteady and wobbly.

Altho my problems are attributed to migraines, migraines are also an associated problem with FM, which does suggest that there is some sort of link with the problems.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Happy(jerky)feet » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi I seem to get times of vertigo and then it goes for awhile and then comes back again ,it's not nice ,hope it passes soon
Happy(jerky)feet
UKFM Member

Postby Lizbet40 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi there I have fibro but I also have spondylosis in my neck and at times I get terribly dizzy even when sitting down. The dr thinks that now and then the inflammation causes a nerve to become trapped and that this is where the dizziness comes from. There are also times if I turn too quickly I get really bad dizziness and also if I turn round from the waist and then turn again I get dizzy spells. I too also get the spaced out feeling with sickness and it can get really bad. So I really feel for you and hope you get passed this soon.
Liz
Lizbet40
UKFM Newbie

Postby PhoebeCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:59 pm

I suffer from severe dizziness/vertigo on a daily basis to the extent of losing my balance, feeling sick and falling down stairs. When I first started with it nearly two years ago now, my then doctor said it was Labyrinthitis but as time has gone on, I have felt so desperate because I cant function properly on a day to day basis because of it. I asked my present doctor if he thought it was from the Fibro or the medication, so he has taken me off the Gabapentin and put me on Progabalin but I am suffering just the same. If it was just the odd occasion, I could probably deal with it better but it is every day, sometimes all day....
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:49 pm

Having read the replies I real feel sorry for those of you who have this problem on a regular basis, :grouphug: I only get it occasionally and that is bad enough , I think I would be on the funny farm if I had it all the time. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Flup sorry to hear that you have constant headaches , :yikes: I knew you had them frequently but didn't realise the extent . :hugs:

It never ceases to amaze me how this illness effects people differently and with such a variety of symptoms.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby PhoebeCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Fluppy, I also suffered migraines on a daily basis and my doctor said it was because the muscles in my head were going in to spasm because of the Fibro. He put me on Amitriptyline. A low dose to start with, then increased it but it has certainly helped and although I still get the occasional migraine, they are no where near as often or as bad.
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Postby dolphintara » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm

hi everyone

I am asking if anyone else get weird feeling in the head , I tell you what it is like , remember those candy that you put in your mouth and it sounds like crackling noise well it is like that , also I am getting the feeling like im going to faint aswell , tonight im getting so much burning feeling in my legs they hurt so much , got hospital tomorrow so will talk to him ,

thank you , keep :lol: :lol: :lol:
dolphintara
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:45 pm

PhoebeCat wrote:Fluppy, I also suffered migraines on a daily basis and my doctor said it was because the muscles in my head were going in to spasm because of the Fibro. He put me on Amitriptyline. A low dose to start with, then increased it but it has certainly helped and although I still get the occasional migraine, they are no where near as often or as bad.

I was on amis for a good while after I was dx'd PhoebeCat but found they didn't suit me :( :( :( :( To help with the headaches and migraines, my GP started me off on betablockers which have helped improve things greatly, the longest I had gone between migraines up until recently was almost 3 weeks, which is fantastic after having so many for such a long time :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: The heatwave seemed to have triggered them off again, and I was popping Imigran like sweeties again, but with the heat seeming to break over the past couple of days, I'm hoping it will mean my head calms back down again :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: Not needed the Imigran for a couple of days which is a good start :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Iceskatemum wrote:Flup sorry to hear that you have constant headaches , :yikes: I knew you had them frequently but didn't realise the extent . :hugs:

TBH ISM, as the headaches have been with me from pretty much day 1, it's become the "norm" for me now, I honestly can't recall what it's like not to have one. When things are behaving I can manage, it's just another symptom that makes up part of my list that I've learnt to accomodate mostly. It's when the nuclear meltdown starts that it floors me, literally at times :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

dolphintara wrote:hi everyone

I am asking if anyone else get weird feeling in the head , I tell you what it is like , remember those candy that you put in your mouth and it sounds like crackling noise well it is like that , also I am getting the feeling like im going to faint aswell , tonight im getting so much burning feeling in my legs they hurt so much , got hospital tomorrow so will talk to him ,

thank you , keep :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think talking to your hospital bod about this would be a good idea. There could be a number of reasons behind what is making you feel as you are at the moment, which may or may not be linked to FM. I have that crackling sort of sound when I have a problem with my ears, and altho it is in the centre of my ear, it can feel as if it is in my head.

For the burning sensation, I find that using a cooling body lotion/moisturiser along with a sort of massage technique can help ease it to a degree for me. I get it a lot at night, so relaxing in the bath before bed, then doing the moisturising/massaging type thing can help make the night a little more bearable.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia