"Flat Battery"

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

"Flat Battery"

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:21 am

I'm sure other people must get this, but it drives me mad so I thought for once I'd vent. Today is not one of my good days and I'm feeling uncharacteristically sorry for myself, the OH is stressed off his box with work so I don't want to bother him - so you lot get to 'listen' to me whine!

I'll be motoring along quite happily, and suddenly it's like when you accidentally pull the plug out of the wall and the vacuum cleaner goes dead, or the battery in your torch flickers once and goes out. My head goes woolly, my eyes are instantly hot, tired, sore and trying to close, my legs feel like they belong to someone 50 years older than me, and I start to wonder if I can stay upright. 9 times out of 10 I keep going anyway, which is rather like wading through a tar pit wearing a full length heavy wool monk's robe, but sometimes it happens and I just have to go lie down somewhere. I dread the day I get the second version on the motorway somewhere.

Sometimes coffee pulls me through, sometimes a glass of Berocca. This weekend we were away and I'm convinced the B vitamins and Q10 co-enzyme I've been taking for about 10 days have helped me do far more than I would usually do after a week of work, pet stress (sick kitty) and not-so-early nights (by that I mean, I wasn't in bed before 9 every night, I stayed up till 10-ish because I had so much to do). But today I just seem to have run out of steam, the pain in my hip is so bad I'm actually contemplating pain killers, and I'm frankly fed up and on the verge of giving in to tears. Either that or murder someone, which might also make me feel better!

For those who also get this instantaneous '"flat battery" effect - apart from coffee and Berocca, any tips on how to get my energy levels back up? I'm catering for 30-ish people all weekend this weekend and I am seriously wondering how I am going to manage it.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: "Flat Battery"

Postby denys » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:21 am

Oh dear you arent whining what you are describing is exactly what I find happening. No tips though I'm afraid its the coffee I rely on. Catering for 30 people :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: have you any help or is this a lone thing you have to do :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: all I can suggest is pacing and resting up as much as possible inbetween tasks.

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: the supplements lift you to do whats necessary and am sending you as much :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: as you can drink :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby csangel » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Unfortunately I can only agree with denys and say the only thing that really helps me when I'm exhausted is to rest rest rest. It's so frustrating :hit1: :hit1: but there isn't a quick fix.

The only thing I can suggest is 30 more people means 30 more pairs of hands to help you out. Tell people you're feeling bad, don't push yourself and get them to help out! ~Try and rest up before then, lots of hot baths, try to relax (easier said than done!) and don't be too hard on yourself if things try and fall apart.

:goodluck2: hope things settle down for you soon.
Health is not valued until sickness comes. ~Thomas Fuller
csangel
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:47 pm

I get the feeling almost like the energy is draining out of me and then all I am left with is pain & heaviness in my arms & legs and extreme fatigue. 'fraid again all I can suggest is rest, my way of thinking is if the battery goes dead then it is your body trying totell you someting .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:07 pm

Ah, rest, that mythical beastie. Looks like it will be gallons of coffee and energy drinks then as I work full time, and there's a shed load of prep to do before the event, which we drive down to on Friday. I keep trying to get to bed before 10 but not doing very well, and this morning the sick kitty (who is now quite well and gets his stitches out tomorrow) was bored at 5.20 a.m. so robbed me of my last 40 minutes asleep before the alarm went off. I think I will just have to sleep through the whole of the following weekend!
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby PennyJ » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Dear friend, I feel your pain, cause that is just how I am feeling this afternoon. I was fine this morning but of late it is affecting me in the afternoon, lifting my arms is like lifting weights for goodness sake. Knees ache, hip aches and feel jet lagged, but will be fine this evening. Good job as I have to cook dinner, husband probably would do it but I make myself..otherwise I feel completely useless and wonder if he believes me half the time..Rest is all I can suggest and get plenty of help at the weekend and try and enjoy it aswell..Good luck...xx
PennyJ
UKFM Member

Postby frances A » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 pm

I don't read every subject but by some lucky chance I 'tuned in' to Flat Battery - b'cos now its not me being weak, stupid, neurotic- all the things I've called myself, seen others think over the years. It's 'Fibro-normality' and knowing its not just me - I feel better already, not the pain, bad day- must be the weather !- but in my mind.
frances A
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:49 am

Frances, I don't post very often, but I very am glad this rare one helped you. It's very hard to explain this weird exhaustion thing to people who don't suffer with FM, especially if, like me, you often soldier on despite being so tired you're shaking (don't really have the option to stop, usually!). You're definitely not alone - I'm a very mild sufferer, from what I can gather from the folk on here, but others really get this so bad they can't function at all, and I am so grateful that I'm not one of them. I hope your current pain settles and you feel better soon.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:09 am

So - the update: and it's a positive one for me, so I really hope people don't take this the wrong way - this was my Facebook status update yesterday:

"I have learned an important lesson. It IS possible for me to do a full week at work, organise a medieval camp and open-fire catering for half a dozen people, including physically helping put the tents up etc and pack up afterwards, do another partial week at work, partially clear up the fallout/mess/washing from the event, prep and shop for catering another event (for 30 people), help other people pack for the event, cater the event (6 hours in the kitchen Friday night, on duty pretty much from 8 a.m. till 10 p.m. Saturday, and from 8-11 a.m. Sunday), drive a chunk of the way home towing a trailer, and go out for dinner with the outlaws - all of this with only less than 8 hours sleep every night for 2 weeks (only 3 hours on Friday!!) - without passing out from exhaustion. But only just. I don't think I'll be doing that again in a hurry. However it has proved to me that I have been underestimating how much I am capable of, my FM pain and tiredness can be worked through and overcome with the help of Ibuprofen, B vitamin complex and Q10 co-enzyme. And caffeine. I ache like a bitch and I'm typng this from bed, but I'm going to get up and unload the car in a minute. So "screw you, FM, you're not in charge of this body, I am"."

And today I commuted into work (15 mins car, 15 mins train, short walk, 5 mins bus, short walk) and am at my desk, tired but in no more pain than on any normal day and not taken any painkillers yet, though I'm on my 3rd coffee since the alarm went off at 6.

I realise this all sounds incredible to so many people on here who can barely move, but as I have said repeatedly, I have a mild case of FM, no other health conditions, and was very fit and active (and still am, though not as much as I was before the FM hit me hard a few years ago), for all of which I am very grateful.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:25 am

So glad you made it and came out the other side, others have often said that they work through and wont let it beat them and I admire you that strength so :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: hope you have a bit of quiet time coming up soon :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:57 am

Wish I did, Denys. Back at work, got my sister coming this weekend, friends coming to stay all next weekend, and then the OH is away Bank Holiday weekend so I'm sole pet-sitter, then weekend after that is prep for the next event, then the weekend after that IS the event. It all quietens down after the end of October, and I've promised my mum I'll help her decorate a couple of rooms in her house in November. Might get time off for good behaviour at Xmas!
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:12 am

I am glad for you too
watch out for suttle signs
FMS likes coming through back doors
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks Lu - it hasn't gone away, I AM tired and in pain, every day. I just seem to have found the reserves of strength I need to ignore it enough to do what I want to do. I've been in bed relaxing watching DVD's by 8.30 for the last 2 nights and plans for tonight are similar. It's more the realisation that I feel like cr*p anyway, regardless of whether I pace myself or not, so I might as well just push on through and do what I want to do. I have a friend who has FM along with arthritis, rheumatism and Sacroiliitis (oh and needs a knee replacement), but who manages to do all that I do and then some (although to be fair she runs her own small business from home, so doesn't have my commute/being stuck at a desk for 8 hours a day), mainly through sheer willpower, whereas I just have FM - so I am taking her as my example from now on. And I'm really thinking the B vitamin complex with the Q10 co-enzyme is helping.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:03 pm

I agree with both
- sometimes it is time to pace and rest
- sometimes it is time to push through

difficult to always know what time it is and when to change

I personally tend to push to hard for to long (at least I think I am)
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Ruthyboo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:56 am

I work full time (primary teacher). I come home and usually go straight to bed. I sleep all day every Saturday and do school work all day Sunday. I have no life. Sometimes I have to fight to stay awake in the afternoons but thankfully my class are little angels and look after me, getting my stick and pushing me around in my wheeled computer chair. They are what keeps me coming to school each day. I had six months off at the beginning of this year because of illness and depression but I have not missed a day this term and feel very proud about that. Joining this site has made me feel less alone and I have learned so much about Fibro already so thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruthyboo
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia