Do you class yourself as disabled?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Do you class yourself as disabled?

Postby PhoebeCat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Just wondered how you all class yourselves if/when filling in forms and the question asks "do you class yourself as disabled? As like the majority of Fibro sufferers, I struggle with walking due to pain and use a walking stick, some days are far worse than others and I suffer badly on a daily basis from dizzy spells and vertigo but whenever I have to answer that question, I always answer no because I do not claim DLA but when do you class yourself as disabled?
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Re: Do you class yourself as disabled?

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi
Im 32 and have been ill for 5 years and on DLA high rate mobility and low rate care and also on incapacity for the 5 years, but even now i do not tick the 'disabled' box. I get embarrassed when I park in the disabled bay and get out the car and get looked at by the 'elder generation' and i know there thinking what are you doing parking in that bay. Im not sure at what point I will feel disabled. Maybe when im in a wheelchair. I just don't know.
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby doctoria71 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:40 pm

with gritted teeth, I do tick the Disabled box. I have a Blue Parking badge which I have had for 3 years now.
I have had Fibro (diagnosed), for 6 years now. I have applied for DLa or PIP, hopefully I will receive it.
doctoria71
UKFM Member

Postby anonymouse » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:43 pm

There isn't really a correct answer for this question. There is no such thing as being registered disabled, most people who use this phrase often are doing so due to having a disabled blue badge or DLA. We're also in an age of political correctness so companies and employees probably shy away from making that decision there selves and simply pass that decision onto the person themselves in the form of a tick box on the form. I can't see any problem when a criteria isn't specified as long as your not 100% fit and healthy I can't see it coming back to bite you on the bum later if you tick the box and on the other hand if you don't your not going to get into trouble, but may miss out on something your entitled to? (depending on what the form is about)

The only register of a similar type I am aware of is if you are registered blind, which isn't probably a symptom often associated with the condition :-)

The only other possible legal guidance would be the Disability Discrimination Act definition of Disability, although its important to understand what is defined as disability for the purpose of that act does not nessesscerely apply to any other legislation. Due to the fact I can't remember the definition word for word I won't go into it in case I make a mistake but I will look it up and post later for your information. Hope that helps

Anonymouse
Fibro, Chronic Pain, Insomnia, Psoriasis, Migraines, Light & Hyper Sensitivity & Joint Subluxation but apart from that I am perfectly healthy & battling for ESA & DLA. - Twitter: my_fibromyalgia - Facebook: myfibromyalgia
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby anonymouse » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Here are some definitions in legislation to help (as per my comments I'm the previous post about what they may/may not apply to)

Disability Discrimination Act 1995

Part 1, Section 1

(1)Subject to the provisions of Schedule 1, a person has a disability for the purposes of this Act if he has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
(2)In this Act “disabled person” means a person who has a disability.

Equality Act 2010

Part 2, Chapter 1, Section 6:

(1)A person (P) has a disability if—
(a)P has a physical or mental impairment, and
(b)the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on P's ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
Fibro, Chronic Pain, Insomnia, Psoriasis, Migraines, Light & Hyper Sensitivity & Joint Subluxation but apart from that I am perfectly healthy & battling for ESA & DLA. - Twitter: my_fibromyalgia - Facebook: myfibromyalgia
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby anonymouse » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:02 pm

The DDA definition also refers to Schedule 1 which provides further explanation of terms, these offer some further guidance of what would and would not be considered "impairment" for example, this can be seen here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/50/schedule/1

Again, I would stress that these definitions do not nessesscerely apply to anything outside this legislation. The interpretation of the legislation will be dictated in case law that I haven't looked at. Also there are changes and updates to both these Acts after their dates that may not have been made online, so as I say "rough guidance" of what could be considered as a disability from a legal standpoint from unrelated legislation.
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby frances A » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:16 pm

hi - a few years ago my dr suggested a blue badge - I was going thru a bad patch- but I refused it as I looked around me at truly disabled people & thought ' I could be better than this in a week or so - they never will ' - so while I can think like that I am not disabled - just temporarily inconvenienced - like the past ten days ! ;-)
frances A
UKFM Member

Postby maxtomads » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:52 pm

I've spent 2yrs in the 'temporary' mindset, waiting for that magical, mythical '1day' when things would be ok again. Now I have CBT & a scooter, and I have a life again. If that '1day' happens it'll be a bonus, but until then I'm wasting no more of my life waiting. I feel so lucky to have found a way of accepting & living with the 'F' word.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:32 pm

I havent had to fill any forms or been asked that question...and i dont class myself as such..well not yet anyway! i still can manage to work full time, i doubt i can claim any kind of disability benefit because of this, everyday is rather different as in some days i feel like ive had a major kicking with alot of other side effects and others its not that bad.

Suppose its a really difficult question with so many people suffering more than others.. :-?
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:41 am

Wot Diane said ^^^
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby BonnGayle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:43 pm

thats a tricky one , I dont claim any benefits I still manage to work part time although some weeks it feels like Im held up with pain killers and sticky tape, I carry a folding stick for emergancys and I have a proper one for days out but I tend to only need them in rough patches, Im using pacing as effectivly as I can BUT I do class myself as disabled because Im not as able as other people and do need help with some things.
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:07 pm

I do class myself as disabled, I got medically retired from work and I have a cabinet full of tablets that I couldn't live without, I think that qualifies me. I really don't care about the stigma, I tend to tell people who need to know and anyone else can just think I am lazy. I used to be a qualified nurse and I am proud of that but unfortunately that is what caused my FMS too and although it upsets me to say I am disabled it takes the sting out of having to explain myself constantly for being unable to do stuff. x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby carena » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi all,
I also class myself as disabled because like lolo I too have a cabinet full of meds that I can't do without on a daily basis.

However' I didn't class myself disabled while still working even though with hindsight I was due to pain, dizziness, memory issues
plus all the other stuff that goes with FM. ME.

Carena x
carena
UKFM Newbie

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:02 pm

I do now class myself as disabled, but I am on higher rate mobility higher rate care for dla, have a carer and have to use a wheelchair outside the house to get about which I need my carer to push as I can't self propel. I can't shower on my own or do my hair myself. I no longer work and can only drive my car short distances and have to have hand controls to do that as can't use my legs to drive anymore. So as much as I wish I wasn't I do think I'm disabled and think I'd be in denial If I said I wasn't at the stage I've got to.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia