why is pain worse in the morning?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

why is pain worse in the morning?

Postby Faith12 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:02 pm

\My pain is worse in the morning is this the case with you is so what do you do to help yourself?
Faith12
UKFM Member

Re: why is pain worse in the morning?

Postby Panda58 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:39 pm

It is for me as well, I try to get up slowly and have a bath before I do anything else, the warm water seems to get the muscles going :-D x
Panda58
UKFM Member

Postby djclall » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi Faith12. :wave: :wave:

My theory is that when we do manage to get to sleep it allows our muscles to relax. So when we do wake where our muscles are in such a relax state that they are not sure how they should be. Not sure if this is just me or others feel it too but when ever i stand up i feel like all my muscles tense up making for more pressure and pain. I think what i am trying to say is that our muscles are not used to being so relaxed. ( am i making any sense here? ). It sorts of put them off guard. The same goes for when pain wakes us, it's because we have moved our position, even the slightest movement, so then our muscles are awake again and playing silly beggars.

The way that i have found it best to manage is by slowly moving bit by bit. Literally a cm at a time. I have an adjustable bed downstairs in my front room. It is a God send. I have forgotten how i managed before. I use the remote to edge me into a sitting up position ever so slowly. Then either my hubby, children or carers lift my legs together up, round and then down to the floor. This is also a slow and painful procedure that seems to take forever. But it seems to be the only way to make it easier for me.

Sometimes having a pillow under your knees helps too. If you can't manage to lift your bedding of you. try to slowly inch it away from you with your hand or foot. If possible try to get your duvet onto the floor in this way then if your body weight shifts too much and you end up falling out of bed then you will have a softer landing.

Don't rush around in the morning. Sometimes a cuppa or two can be relaxing. Mine is coffee. Lol :coffee1: :coffee_cup: . Some slow and gentle stretches may help. Nothing too strenuos though. Even if you feel well enough to do it. Which is very doubtful. I know because i have tried a few times and i felt so much worse after. And ended up taking to my sofa and bed throughout the day.

I really wish there was some quick fix for this part of our condition but unfortunately there is not. So we just grin and bear it and get on with it.

Soft hugs. xx :hugs:
djclall
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:28 pm

Mornings are sloooowwwww going for me, stiffness and extra pain think its just part of FM :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:59 am

yes always and any time i sit still for to long. in the morning i get up and take my painkillers and have a hot shower i find moving helps alot.try a warm shower or bath when u get up . and move . i no alot of ppl here are at the point where they cant move so if like me u hurt like hell but can move do it .sitting still with make things much worse stiffness wise.also dont be surprized if what hurts for weeks suddenly stops and something else hurts when u wake up.atm its back in my hands and arms a few days a few weeks it will be my legs or back , xx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia