Sleep

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sleep

Postby SuzyVB » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:02 pm

I just wondered how everyone finds they sleep. I recently read an article that suggested many people diagnosed with fibro actually have ME & vice versa. The article suggested that it was down to whether you were seem by a neurologist or a rheumatologist & that one of the major differences was sleep.
It got me thinking as I can sleep for England my rheumatologist has always said that that's because I don't get enough deep sleep (how she knows this when she's never seen me sleep or asked is beyond me). So recently I downloaded a iPhone app called sleepbot & use it for every sleep I have be it day or night. I'm averaging 15 hrs sleep in 24hr period & that's over 80% deep sleep yet it still never feels enough.

On top of the exhaustion/fatigue I get the usual chronic pain in my joints & my muscles are very week. My brain is like a black hole & I struggle to concentrate. I also get really bad variations in body temp one minute I'm freezing the next I'm sweating loads. I also have restless legs & suffer with muscle twitches.

Do you guys sleep well or do you suffer with insomnia as the article suggested was the FM norm? The annoying thing is I can't remember where the article was either :( damn fogy brain.

[UNAMUSED FACE]
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Re: Sleep

Postby BonnGayle » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi there I have a simaler thing I sleep like a stone and yet I wake up like I havnt been to sleep at all my Reumy said the same that FM interupts your deep sleep pattern I now take amitryptaline and Ive found that really helpfull :-D
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Postby SuzyVB » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:32 pm

I tried 10mg of that & it made me feel worse. I slept for even longer & struggled to wake up even after 15hrs sleep straight
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby Lyndesay » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:40 pm

I am taking 20mg a night and may as well not bother!! Have always been a bad sleeper. on average I would be lucky to get 3 hours sleep at night and its not 3 hours straight! Its 30 mins here and there :crazy: have just been recently diagnosed with Fibro and the Rheumatologist said it was the Fibro that caused the lack of sleep but I'm not so sure. Will talk it over with my GP when I eventually get an appointment!
Lyndesay
UKFM Newbie

Postby baci41 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:24 pm

I was diagnosed with fibro in March. I struggle to sleep to, if i get 3 hours sleep a night i am lucky. I'm on 150mg of Phregablin in morning and same at night. This is a very nasty condition to have, i w.ish sometimes there could be a magic till to take all the pain away :( :( :(
baci41
UKFM Newbie

Postby SuzyVB » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm on morphine & naproxen but nothing else
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby kazza65 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:25 pm

my sleep patterns are treble...

I'm totally tired all the time... I can go to sleep whilst sat on laptop , i can nod off for England. I fall a sleep on the sofa at about 10.30 and the at midnight my hubby wakes me up. Then i go to bed and the fall straight back asleep. But then my hips and leg start going numb and painful and they wake me up. So now i'm sleeping on pillows in my bed just to get comfortable.

Medication i'm taking :-

15mg Mst at Morning and 15 mg M.S.T continus with 30 mg at night
200 mg Pregabalin three times a day
40 mg Amitriptyline
Oramorph as and when needed 20 mg.

Hope thats some use ...
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby SuzyVB » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:41 pm

I have a body length pillow as its great for resting whichever body part hurts. When my hips and thighs are bad I fold it in two & put it under my knees so my legs are at 45 degrees it works wonders.
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:43 pm

At the beginning of having fibro, I was on tramadol, naproxen and gabapentin and I never slept at night, maybe 2/3 on off hrs, but I did sleep for 1/2 hrs in the afternoon. But was always tired. Over the years i have changed medication, im now on naproxen higher dose, tramadol, 95mg of ammitrypine and paracetamol and different vitamins, but I still have on and off insomnia, some nights can't sleep till 4am and other times i feel like going to bed at 9pm. But im never good in the mornings.
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby SuzyVB » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:37 am

See I go to bed around 9pm & sleep through naturally to 10ish the next day & still snooze during the day & I have very little choice about those snoozes. If I don't lay down I'll end up falling asleep mid email
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:47 pm

I struggle to stay awake after 9pm and then sleep until 8 or 9 in the mornings and i can still sleep from 12 to 4 in fact i am just exhausted all the time. Amitry just made me sleep more. If you are dreaming you are having deep sleep and i dream a lot too. Time for a nap i think :sleep:
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby SuzyVB » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Lol I know that feeling & I certainly dream. Some really odd ones too. Last night I dreamt my hubbie was trying to find a new bar of soap to wash his face as the old one was cracked [WHITE SMILING FACE] I do have some odd dreams lol. Time for my nap as soon as I've put the towels on the line
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:07 pm

sleep hummmm i remember that i think,dr told me not sleeping was a sign of fibro as we don't go into deep sleep stage 4 i think. so we don't relax and rest our muscles, so we wake up tired and sore.my dr is well up on fibro and said to me theres no way its ME as it shops different, still i dont think there much in the two myself xx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby SuzyVB » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Yeah I sleep about 15 hours a day my GP said that combined with the muscle twitches & muscle pains like flu I experience he said I have them both
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia