Strange sensations all over at night

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Strange sensations all over at night

Postby Karou » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi everyone,

This has been going on for some time and I haven't been able to find an answer. At night, I sometimes wake up with a strange sensation all over my body. It's not exactly like pins and needles and not like ants but tingling is the only word I can find for it. It mainly affects my legs, arms and face, maybe a bit like being lightheaded but again not exactly like it. Like my body is weightless or like I'm about to leave my body on the bed while trying to get up. Sorry if that sounds confusing, I can't think of any other way to describe it. :(

When it happens I can't help it, I just HAVE to move my body and it doesn't matter if it hurts. I get very panicky if I don't move, this weird feeling totally freaks me out.
I don't know if it's connected but when trying to fall asleep I have to move my feet around or I'll get irritated and might not sleep at all. Makes me feel really weird. :oops:
I'm not sure if the sensation stops or if I end up falling asleep again but I'm really worried and doctors have said not to worry as it's probably nothing.

Has anyone else experienced anything like it? What would you recommend?

Gentle hugs,

Karou
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Strange sensations all over at night

Postby denys » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi Karou yes I get this sort of thing and I end up having to get up and walk about a bit, I normally get a drink and sit for a while till I feel less agitated then try to go back to bed :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Karou » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi denys,

Phew that makes me feel less awkward now, thanks. :-)

Do you think it's fibro or a side effect? I'm going to try and get up next time, maybe it'll work better than my usual "head in the sand and get on with it" method. Thanks for sharing your experience with this.

Gentle hugs,

Karou

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Some meds cause strange sensations and this may explain the 'spacey' feeling you get. It could also be restless legs and there are things you can get for that from your GP (quinine etc.) the problem we have is that in trying to sort one problem we sometimes exacerbate another (or even cause another to appear) so I would say its probably a fibro thing but never just put something down to fibro without checking it out with your GP as sometimes fibro mimics other conditions :yikes: hope you get some rest tonight
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Karou » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Hmm I might mention restless legs to my doctor. I've had a look at the symptoms and it sounds like there is a possibility.

Maybe having to change doctors isn't such a bad thing after all. I need to register with a new one because I moved and my last GP has left the surgery. :( He was really good, always trying everything that might help and actually listening. I hope I can find another one similar to that.

Thanks again for your reply, I'll try and sleep now. Hope you get a good night's sleep too.

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:39 am

now while i agree with all the above ,have u thought of it being panic attacks.i had them for years and i felt so many weird things going on in my body at night ,they can really make u feel bad body tingles sweats, light headed heart pounds all sorts and yes they can happen anytime but also they can happen same time everyday just a thought.xx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:45 am

Hiya,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. No I hadn't even thought of panic attacks. This weird sensation is bugging me so much, I'm willing to try (almost) everything to get a better chance of a good night's sleep. I'm just not sure how to figure out if it is one? Need advice please. :-)

Gentle hugs,

Karou

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:50 pm

If its a panic attack try breathing in and out of a paper bag, you have to consciously try to slow your breathing down and everything should subside. again once you have registered with a new GP and I would sort this asap then discuss what's going on :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Karou » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:25 pm

I'll try that, thanks. I mean..if it's not it won't hurt but might distract me.

I hope they won't take forever to process my registration. Not having a lot of rest lately and it seems that my brain and body have a bit of a disagreement on top of communication problems. haha
One says "tired, sleep now" but the other one replies "nah, don't wanna do that, try and you'll see." As in: whenever I try to sleep at night I hurt even more. :scream-1: :pull-hair: :banghead:

I found this relaxation app today, qi gong meditation. Might try this before I put my head on the pillow, maybe it'll work.

Hope you're all feeling as good as possible.

Gentle hugs,

Karou

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:14 pm

hopefully your App worked and you managed some sleep :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Karou » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Just thought I'd mention that the app worked but I didn't sleep as well as I wished. It's good for switching off though. My brain seems to get mire active when I'm tired, thoughts are racing but with it I've managed to go for an imaginary walk.
At least the tingly lightheaded feeling wasn't there. It's a start I guess. :-)

Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia