learning to drive?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

learning to drive?

Postby ouchiemama » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Hey guys, hope your all having a good day

I am wondering if anyone has learned to drive after diagnosis??

I really want to get driving lessons as I am 34 & have 3 kids so it would be a lot easier to be able to drive.

I decided just to do automatic lessons as this should be easier as I did 10 lessons a couple of years ago pre diagnosis but didnt get on well!!

Am just really worried though due to being on a lot of meds & just if I will be able to concentrate or if it will be too sore as my shoulders & right arm & hand ache from brushing my teeth/hair!!

So I am basically asking if anyone passed their test while suffering with fibro?? & if I should tell my instructor?? xx
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Re: learning to drive?

Postby lrgatrell88 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:16 pm

I passed my test while suffering from fibro although I hadn't got my diagnosis.

I passed in manual and found it really hard. I now drive an automatic with power steering which is so much easier. You can also get special adaptions made to cars to make it easier if u can't use the steering wheel properly etc.

My advice would to maybe start with an hour lesson as I found 2 hours tiring.

Good luck :-) xxx
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby helenclaire » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi Ouchiemama,

I passed my test when I was ill (although not diagnosed). However afterwards I stopped driving for nearly four years because I convinced myself that it would be too painful. I only meant to stop for a while, but I was so scared of passing out behind the wheel, losing my vision, or my arms and legs falling off, that it just built up and built up until I was petrified.

I started driving again three weeks ago and it is the best thing I have ever done.

I agree with the previous comment, go for a shorter lesson. Try it once and see how it goes, you might surprise yourself. I find that it hurts to begin with but then it eases off a little. But don't do too much obviously. Personally I wouldn't tell the instructor straight off, but if you find you're struggling on a lesson just tell them you need to stop for a minute, then you can explain that you have problems with your arms/legs/concentration. I wouldn't bombard them with everything, because I doubt they'd understand, and then you'd just feel uncomfortable.

Give it a go. Everything's worth a go. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work, but at least you tried. Honestly, driving makes life sooo much easier. Good luck!! xx
helenclaire
UKFM Member

Postby ouchiemama » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:22 am

Thank you for replies :-D

Ok defo think 1 hour lessons is a good idea & I suppose all I can do is try & see :fingerscrossed: I will manage cause it would make life a lot easier & wouldnt have to rely on my mum for lifts! xx
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Postby lrgatrell88 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:30 am

Good luck :-D xxx
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:43 pm

Hi ouchymama. I used to be a driving instructor. In my opinion you should tell your instructor. It's always easier for them to tailor the lessons to you if they know of any problems you have. I see no reason for you not to learn to drive provided your medication doesn't make you drowsy or significantly affect your concentration. Your instructor would pick up on this even if you didn't tell them. If you want to get the most from your lessons then an open honest relationship with your instructor is essential. If they know they will build in breaks for you to stop and get out the car for a couple of mins here and there.

I taught a boy who suffered with dyspraxia and his concentration was awful. He didn't tell me for ages and one day I had to pull him over a so was convinced he was high on drugs and it was then that he told me. Had I known I would have approached things differently with him. I also notified his examiner at test so that they provided extra info on direction etc.

I would recommend only short lessons to start then build up. I don't know how severe your symptoms are but for me I find only half an hr is my limit for driving. To start your instructor will prob drive you to and from the area your to learn in each time until you've mastered junctions but this is something that can be continued if need be. For example, my local test centre is a 20 minute drive away in another town and so 2 hour lessons were a nesesscity for my leathers in order for them to practice on the test routes. In the case of the young man I mentioned above, I would drive him to and from that town so he would only drive for just over an hour as this was his limit before I lost his concentration, this allowed him to learn where he needed without wasting his concentration on the drive over.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby ouchiemama » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks for replies :-D

Great to hear from a driving instructor, thank you, when I get the courage to book some lessons I will tell them from the get go.

xx
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Postby Youngone » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi,
I've been diagnosed with FM / CFS FOR 10 years now. I never even toyed with the idea of stopping driving (been a Petrolhead since 1973). I drive only when I feel ok through a combination of meds and rest management. A few weeks ago I passed my ROSPA Advanced Driving Test at "Gold" level, the highest achievement in driving available to members of the public. The procedure involved a 1 hour training session following an assessment drive the week before where I was commended on my driving skills (many years of car and motorcycle driving and riding built up these skills) the day after the training was the test over 1 1/2 hours, needing maximum concentration. Just goes to show that with careful management FM can be kept in background if the goal you seek is important enough to you.
Took me 3 days to recover afterwards though ;-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free. FM/CFS 10 years, extreme allover pain managed by Durogesic 50mcgh patches, Venflaxine 75mg twice daily, Paracetamol 100mg up to four times a day and Oramorph for breakthrough pain as required.
Nigel
Ileostomist with FM & Osteo Arthritis in Back & Hips as a bonus.
Keep fighting and smiling.
Youngone
UKFM Newbie

Postby kitten » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:31 pm

I'm losing confidence in my driving due to the lack of movement in my neck trying to reverse and look over my shoulder is nearly, impossible and trying to look left at crossed roads is very painful,, will only drive first thing in a morning when I know the roads will be quite, would love some one to wave a wand over my neck and shoulder's,, no doubt so would every one else ,who has this problem, does anyone else who suffer with this know why my neck keeps going into spasms :?: :
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:27 pm

i used to ride motorbikes big ones only now with a baby and bikes being heavy i really cant do it anymore . but like u i want to drive. part from that i cant afford lessons atm x
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia