Relapsing Fibro?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Relapsing Fibro?

Postby Gaia » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:43 pm

I have recently had to change GP after my previous one left. This new doc is somewhat "old school" and although he accepts that I have fibro, he refuses to accept that it affects me every single day of my life. He told me fibro is a relapsing and remitting condition and that on average I should only have 3 - 4 relapses per year "at the most" or alternatively that I may go for several years without a relapse ! :roll: :crazy:

Has anyone else ever been told that this is normal to expect only a few episodes per year? I'm just confused as I have problems all the time and am now worried that he will not support me when the time comes to have my benefit medical assessment towards the end of this year :yikes:

Your advice would be appreciated please!

Thank you :-)
Gaia
UKFM Member

Re: Relapsing Fibro?

Postby difly » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi your dr does sound "old school" for me personnally ive never experienced 3-4 flare ups a year ,wish that was the case , although
i accept everyone is different my experience of dealing with fibro has been on a day to day basis when ive dealt with varying degrees of pain ,fatique etc hope things work out xx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:00 am

My GP told me that 'Fibro only lasts for 5 years'

I'm 4 years down and counting

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 am

I dont know who is worst! the old style GP who is uneducated or the new young GP who has been told that exercise and positive thinking will be our cure :roll:

Sounds to me like hes mixed himself up with maybe MS or ME which can in some people work in that way.

Theres 2 ways in dealing with this. 1 is to get as much info on FM as you can and leave it with him to read but being old school they do tend to dislike being told there job! :shock: OR find another GP?

Another route maybe getting a referal to a Rumatologist and the consultant could write to GP explaining condition?
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:58 am

3~4 relapses a year, and it only lasting 5 years sounds good to be, altho I think my letter advising me that this is what should have been happening must have been lost in the post.......about 13 years ago :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:11 pm

get a new dr if u can .x
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Purpledot » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Blimey....wish it was!!

I think my letter is in the same place as yours, FluppyPuffy........been there about the same time too!

It really annoys me when these GPs have a little knowledge about something and then embellish that into some supposed wisdom they feel they must impart to their poor, lowly, misinformed, patient. If only these doctors would realise that most Fibro/ME sufferers probably know more about their conditions than they do!!!

My GP is the same..........tells me he can't possibly give me any comments or answers concerning my abnormal MRI result as he is not a Neurologist, and then, a couple of weeks later when he's obviously feeling particularly frustrated as he can't 'fix' or explain what is hapening to me, proceeds to tell me exactly what the Neurologist is going to say!

You have to remember, a GP is a jack of all trades, and you need to speak to the master! I think asking for a Rheumy referral is a really good idea.......and trying another GP at your surgery may be beneficial too!

Good luck xx
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby Gaia » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks for your comments :-D

I have not seen a rheumatologist since my diagnosis several years ago - but his letter confirming my diagnosis should be on my file. I'm thinking of changing doctor, as the one I saw recently was the head of practise (and prob in his early 60's) and seemed to give me the impression he is one of those who think fibro is "all in our head" , so doubt he will change his mind regardless of what I give him to read up on (he prob wouldn't read it anyway!) :roll:

I'll have to ask around and see if any of the others gp's might be a better option for me - although I have been told by one of the surgery secretaries that anything to do with DWP or atos is only dealt with by the practise head GP - even if he is not the one who sees the patient. He apparently just reads through any notes on a persons file and sends them what there is on there - so even if I see another GP, it doesn't sound like they will be able to fill out any forms etc for me and give their working knowledge of my health! :yikes:

Pretty peeved at the mo as you can imagine :evil:
Gaia
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Agree with the others, wish it was as clear cut as your doc thinks :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia