Getting a Viral Infection = FM flare up?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Getting a Viral Infection = FM flare up?

Postby Looking4relief » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi
Do you find if you get a bug or virus infection it also triggers FM to flare up considerably? I got a slight head cold two weeks and I ended up with full blown FM symptoms which left me so debilitated I couldn't walk, eat, think, sleep etc. I was house-bound for three days, on my own and TBH quite scared at one point simply because of the intensity of the symptoms. I've upped my meds which have taken the edge off but still feel lousy and all because of a 'summer cold'?!?!?!?
:evil:
Looking4relief
UKFM Newbie

Re: Getting a Viral Infection = FM flare up?

Postby lrgatrell88 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:13 pm

I usually end up with a flare of FM if I catch a bug :-(... That and/or getting the bug much worse than anyone else around me that had it.
A couple of weeks ago I caught a stomach bug from my son. He had it for 6 hours... I had it for 3 days and ended up in hospital on drips and all sorts.

Think it's just another of the lovely things that we have to cope with.
Hope u feel better soon xxx
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Yup.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:40 pm

It's not unusual to find that FM intensifies the effects and length of things like colds, stomach bugs etc. Whether it's because our systems are continually taking such a bashing that they reach overload so much quicker, I don't know :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: But to find that a flare is triggered off isn't at all unusual, unfortunately :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Looking4relief » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks for letting me know; at least the good thing is knowing that a bug/virus can trigger FM symptoms.............will just have to avoid anyone with a cold etc...yeah right!!!

Grim times :-|

Moving on........ :-D
Looking4relief
UKFM Newbie

Postby BonnGayle » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:11 pm

I read this thred and thought yes thats interesting I will remeber to reply when I get something two days later I'm down with some kind of throat lurgie and can hardly walk so can totally confirm this!
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia