High or Low Pain Threshold?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

High or Low Pain Threshold?

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Just idly wondering (as I'm bored of the work I have to do right now)...how many sufferers on here would say they have a high pain threshold, and how many have a low pain threshold? I'd never really thought about it till recently, but I guess I have a high one. I once broke my ankle while out running and walked 2 miles home on it, that was on a Saturday and I was back at work on the Monday as normal, didn't know it was broken until I had an X-ray a couple of years later for what turned out to just be a sprain when they found the previous fracture.)
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: High or Low Pain Threshold?

Postby spencebel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:47 pm

I have low pain threshold,if i knock myself on a door etc, or even if the dog knocks into me, i am still hurting 10 mins later....
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:22 pm

I think mine has changed over the years. When I had :yikes: :yikes: :alien: :alien: teenager, I got thru labour and being stitched with Mr TENs and Gas & Air, but now, the slightest tap can feel like the area concerned is being hacked at by someone with a blunt and rusty spoon :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: In fact the pain from being in labour added to the pain I was in after I broke my neck seems like a walk in the park compared to what FM lobs at me each day :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby DRM » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:03 pm

I would've always said I had a high pain threshold, but feel like fibro has taken that away like so much else. Now the slightest knock or twist leaves me aching. Sometimes wonder what I would be like if it wasn't for the meds! X
DRM
UKFM Member

Postby Tunes » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:32 pm

I used to have a high pain threshold. But since being diagnosed wiv fibro like the previous fibro sufferer if i knock myself now or someone grabs my arm etc its like someone is hitting me wiv a hammer!!! I cant get over how much pain im in from the slightest thing its sooooo annoying and frustrating. :(
Tunes
UKFM Member

Postby Purpledot » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:51 pm

I have always had a very high pain threshold, but since the Fibro, as so many others, the slightest knock can be agonising.

When my son was 7 he walked around for 4 days with a broken wrist as he has such a high pain threshold, and the only reason it was found was because I told the AnE staff this....they weren't even going to x-ray it to start with! He's a professional drummer now, so thank goodness they did as it may have healed wrongly and hindered his drumming!
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Same here, I never bothered much and managed to have 4 kids but now :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: FM definitely lets you know :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby frances A » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:38 pm

years ago when I was in my 20s my high pain threshold put my life in danger, causing a mis-diagnosis - oh how things change- yesterday I fell over, balance bad etc, today I can hardly move for the head to toe pain, can't get comfortable in any position. :cry:
frances A
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:33 am

Had a high threshold, broke my leg and walked on it till the next day before I got it xrayed. Now my level is so low, plucking my eyebrows now hurts. Never did before. My sensitivity to pain is incredible when you think about the level of pain killers I take too.
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby karpep » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi I'm still quite new to being diagnosed but I too had a really high pain threshold 2 children and life etc. but since diagnosed like a previous comment. A slight bang or over stretch leaves me really struggling with pain. Even going to the supermarket leaves me exhausted and trying to take bottled drinks out of the trolley and putting them on the counter is agonising sometimes. I too dread to think what I would be like without the meds x
karpep
UKFM Newbie

Postby perseus » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:19 am

Some psychologists think men have a higher pain threshold than women and once this is adjusted for there may be as many men as women with fibromyalgia! Presumably when we have the flu its the other way around :mrgreen:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby kitten » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:55 pm

I used to have a high threshold till fibro took a likening to me have worked with migraine have carried on with sprained ankle gone to work when I felt awful used to be able to work it off no chance of it now
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 pm

presumably they are male psychologists perseus :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby LouLou » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Very good question as about 15 years ago I had appendicitis. I'd suffered with twinges in my stomach and appendics area for a few weeks but nothing too severe and being a 15year old I just ignored it. It wasn't until I saw my GP about something completely unrelated that we mentioned it, she examined me and said I should go to A&E as she thought it was appendicitis.

So off we trotted in no big rush as I really wasn't in much pain. Got to hospital and was examined and tested and within half an hour of the results coming back there was this big fuss around me as apparently my appendics were on the verge of bursting! The Surgeon afterwards said I should have been rolling round in agony and must have had a high pain threshold to have barely felt it.

Since having FM I have found I am much more sensitive to pain and feel bumps and scrapes more than I used to, sometimes just a gentle touch to a painful leg can hurt me more. So I'm guessing I no longer have that threshold?!? lol bodies are very strange things lol.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia