foot problem

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

foot problem

Postby debbie0499 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:39 am

hiya Guys,

not posted on here for a while. Hope you all coping best you can living with FM.

Has any one been left with a permanent foot problem due to /fibro.

I have been living with fibro since 2008, but i fractured my right foot in April, . :(
i have had numerous visits to thr fracture clinic, as i had continuous pain, since the fracture healed..
had MRI scan etc.. and finally after 4 months, consultant said all they can do, is send me pain
clinic and they advise physio.. as i am already at the pain clinic they didn't need to refer me..

consultant advised the pain and restriction was due to fibro. it become that bad that, on holiday.

i had to give in,, and get a wheelchair hubby pushed me, and i had a go wheeling myself. i normally use
one ot two to get about, but i am guttered that, from what i was told and the swelling that my foot
problem here to stay.
being 35 and having a 10 and 2 year old daughter is so difficult, even with taking oxycontin,naproxen, tramadol. etc.

has anyone, had a foot injury,and ended up with fibro in it.? my fibro already affects carfs,legs,neck.and back, i have Arthritis etc to boot and a tumor of spine, so got a job lot really.
any advice would be very welcomed pls.

thank you for reading
:lol:
Debbie.x
debbie0499
UKFM Member

Re: foot problem

Postby perseus » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:10 am

It's not a mainstream view, but a few researchers think fibro is a failed healing response which leads to neuralgia. Plantar Facitiis which is pain caused by micro tears in the fascia of the foot seems to be very common with fibro suffers, I suffer from this along with various other soft tissue traumas and have been trying to get human growth hormone as a supplement which I feel might help. Once again this is not a mainstream treatment and is expensive.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby painprincess1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:52 am

hi hunnie. my feet kill me and thats just getting up. but just remember when u hurt yourself with fibro it take twice as long to heel then most ppl.i had my knees done it took well over a year and it still bloody sore and numb. i have 4 kiddies we 3 teens and a 15 month old shes been up since 5 so i no how hard it is to cope.i to had a tumor on my liver, had it out and i woke up in so much pain it took them 2 hour with morphine to get the pain under control so your not alone hunniexxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby becky7044 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:52 am

When I first got fibro I was 11 and all I could tell doctors was I had extreme pain in my ankle couldn't even bear the duvet to touch it. this was simply from a sprain. because it took 7 years to get diagnosed they kept trying to find problem with foot and was even tested for bone cancer. In the end they just put me in cast followed by a split as when it was immobile the pain was less, however this has cause permanent damage as the main ligament in my foot wasted away and now constantly give way.
I find every part of my body I have injured before or during having fibro the fibro pain triggers and exaggerates the pain.
Unfortunately I just think it a side effect of the condition.
However the pain in my foot has eased over the years In my foot, only thing I can suggest is keep your weigh off it when you can and do gently exercise.

Gentle hugs xx
becky7044
UKFM Member

Postby 2measures » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:12 pm

Yep, had the same problem too! though not reduced to wheelchair, basically told to get on with it or visit the pain clinic,
both ankles are bad due to previous injuries, so it looks like FB goes to the parts that are weakest in our body. Good luck! :cry:
2measures
UKFM Newbie

Postby perseus » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:35 pm

The prevailing medical view states 'the pain people wit fibromyalgia feel doesn't have a physical cause but is something to do with the way the brain processes pain. Because there's no physical reason for the pain fibromyalgia doesn't cause any permanent joint damage.' Is this view feasible based on all your experiences?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby SukiTills » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:56 pm

I too have suffered with pain and swelling in both feet and ankles ever since a knee op a few years ago. The swelling began in one foot as a result of the op but never completely went away then it started in the other too.

Didn;t know what I had was fibro until earlier this year but have been getting more and more problems with various joints and muscles and nerves for the last 10 years. Have been told there is nothing they can do for my feet - I also have a type of excema on the sole of my left that regularly forms intensely itchy blisters which burst and I am left walking on a flayed foot basically for a few days lol I too am only 38 and my feet problems began 10 years ago with the exema and about 3 years ago with the swelling and pain.

I have real problems with footwear - socks end up constricting my ankles and causing more swelling (I also seems to overheat very quickly now if I have my feet covered) plus with my other problems with my knees, hips and back I cant put them on or off anymore on my own and live alone. Plus I only ever wear one pair of flip flops regardless of the weather because my feet swell up over the day and if I wear any other kind of sandal or shoe I end up having to take them off after an hur anyway even if they fit my feet in the morning lol

I can't afford to buy clothes or shoes as on benefits and they are currently saying I am fit for work so have been on the basic rate for nearly two years now so cant afford to keep buying and trying shoes which I end up giving away to my family and friends anyway. I have had to resort now to using a mobility scooter and recently on holiday my family had to hire wheelchairs from the hotels for me which was extremely humiliating and made me feel so guilty for being such a burden on everyone (although it was very handy getting through customs lol). I really understand how you are feeling - its horrible but remember your kids and family

- I was informed this year that some of my symptoms over the past decade have been because I was going through premature ovarian failure or premature menopause and my GPs kept telling me nothing was wrong! I have no children and all hope of ever having one is now gone for me so at least you have the comfort of two wonderful children who give your life purpose and meaning.

I also struggle daily with depression at the thought that this is my life now BUT my large network of nieces, nephews, great-nephews, siblings, parents and grandparents are the reason I am here and give me a reason to go on, even in the darkest moments. Try to always think of all the reasons that your glass is half full rather than half empty. Best wishes. x

ps: RE FIBRO PAIN - I would agree with the view that our pain is in the brain rather than from an injury. No one has ever been able to fully explain my pain and over the past year my back has flared up worse than ever and is so bad they have upped and upped my painkillers - each of which works at first but then stops working - until I am now taking Oromorph daily as a top-up and even THAT now doesn't work!

So I am convinced now that the pain I am experiencing is not really in my back but is in my brain. doesn't make it better to deal with as the chances of anyone being able to stop it are then virtually nil mind you :(
Last edited by denys on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken into smaller paragraphs to make easier reading and the removal of capital letters from post
SukiTills
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:18 pm

Hu SukiTills :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: I have broken your post down to make it easier to read as a lot of us have trouble with large blocks of text and also removed the capitals as this is seen as shouting as should be avoided where ever possible.

If you havent already, maybe you could have a look at the rules for basic membership as this explains everything for you :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby angeleyes » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:52 pm

i have the same problems with my feet and im on my feet for 7-8 hours a day. can anyone recommend any good comfy shoes, they need to be as plain and boring as possible. but i need some comfort if im going to keep my career. :(
angeleyes
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia