Sods Law

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sods Law

Postby chuckles166 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:25 pm

Hello to you fmsers out there,

I havent posted a message on here for sometime but I check in most days or read the posts via facebook. Hope you are all as well as you can be with this 'thing' (thats what I call fms on a bad day).

I went to see the rheumatologist on monday and was dxd with 'a chronic pain disorder under the fibromyalgia umbrella'. Getting back to the subject of my post, why is it when you go to see your gp or consultant all the pain you have been suffering all day disappears??? The rheumy did all the standard physical checks ie trigger points, heart rate etc he was very thorough and not once did anything ache just when I needed it too thats what I meant by 'sods law'. Maybe I must have a high pain threshold or something? Afternoons usually are the quieter times in the day for me any way, everything kicks off around 4pm and goes on till 11am the following day. I hope you I havent waffled too much for you all.

Take care of yourselves and hope you all enjoy the bank holiday weekend as best as you can.

Best wishes to all
Chuckles x
chuckles166
UKFM Member

Re: Sods Law

Postby denys » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Chuckles sorry to hear everything disappeared when you needed it to show, but I have to say it has never happened to me :shock: :shock: :shock: press the trigger points and I need to be scrapped off the ceiling :lol: :lol:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lolo73 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Maybe it isn't FMS because the trigger points are called such because touching them trigger the pain. I hope for your sake it isn't FMS. Like Denys says I know when someone is touching my trigger points x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby purrrcatty » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:49 pm

same for me even if the pain is low if a trigger point is touched i nearly hit the ceiling, its so painful always on the trigger points :)
purrrcatty
UKFM Newbie

Postby angie68 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:52 pm

chuckles i am the same when go to the drs, i could go right now and cry my eyes out probably section me haha but sometimes when ive been to drs the tears have come streaming down me face., theres no end to this has ye say sods law!!!!..hope you have a nice weekend also...
angie68
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:26 pm

... maybe it has to do with the "fight or flight" response ...

http://www.thebodysoulconnection.com/Ed ... fight.html

i.e.
What are the signs that our fight or flight response has been stimulated (activated)?

When our fight or flight response is activated, sequences of nerve cell firing occur and chemicals like adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol are released into our bloodstream. These patterns of nerve cell firing and chemical release cause our body to undergo a series of very dramatic changes. Our respiratory rate increases. Blood is shunted away from our digestive tract and directed into our muscles and limbs, which require extra energy and fuel for running and fighting. Our pupils dilate. Our awareness intensifies. Our sight sharpens. Our impulses quicken. Our perception of pain diminishes. Our immune system mobilizes with increased activation. We become prepared—physically and psychologically—for fight or flight. We scan and search our environment, "looking for the enemy."

Is there a cumulative danger from over-activation of our fight or flight response?

Yes. The evidence is overwhelming that there is a cumulative buildup of stress hormones. If not properly metabolized over time, excessive stress can lead to disorders of our autonomic nervous system (causing headache, irritable bowel syndrome, high blood pressure and the like) and disorders of our hormonal and immune systems (creating susceptibility to infection, chronic fatigue, depression, and autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and allergies.)
To protect ourselves today, we must consciously pay attention to the signals of fight or flight

To protect ourselves in a world of psychological—rather than physical—danger, we must consciously pay attention to unique signals telling us whether we are actually in fight or flight. Some of us may experience these signals as physical symptoms like tension in our muscles, headache, upset stomach, racing heartbeat, deep sighing or shallow breathing. Others may experience them as emotional or psychological symptoms such as anxiety, poor concentration, depression, hopelessness, frustration, anger, sadness or fear.
Excess stress does not always show up as the "feeling" of being stressed. Many stresses go directly into our physical body and may only be recognized by the physical symptoms we manifest. Two excellent examples of stress induced conditions are "eye twitching" and "teeth-grinding." Conversely, we may "feel" lots of emotional stress in our emotional body and have very few physical symptoms or signs in our body.
By recognizing the symptoms and signs of being in fight or flight, .............. We can borrow the beneficial effects (heightened awareness, mental acuity and the ability to tolerate excess pain) in order to change our emotional environment and deal productively with our fears, thoughts and potential dangers.
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia