In so much pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

In so much pain

Postby Picklepudding » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm in so much pain that I just burst into tears in the middle of a queue for a ride at universal studios today. I felt like such an idiot. We saved for 2 years for this holiday. I want to keep going for the rest of the family as I don't want to ruin it for everyone else but this pain is getting the better of me. I'm beside myself. I may sound like a spoilt toddler but I really feel like screaming 'THIS ISN'T FAIR!'
Last edited by Picklepudding on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Re: In so much pain

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Sorry to hear how things are turning out with your hollibobs :( :( :( :( :( Have you had a look at your topic where you said you were struggling after being there for a few days as there were a few suggestions made that might help you feel a touch less hurty viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17823&p=185991#p185991

The only other thing that comes to mind at the moment is trying to see a doc or as a last resort going to an ER, but I know that can all be dependant on insurance and things.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Picklepudding » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks. I hate admitting defeat and have just tried battling on. The last thing I want to do is spoil it for my kids so I'm just suffering in silence (apart from the tears today!) I don't want to have to resort to seeing a doctor if I can possibly avoid it so I'll just keep on with the painkillers. I just needed to vent here so that my family aren't aware of the full extent...I just want them to have a fantastic time without worrying about me.
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby Picklepudding » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Oh and I've just been looking up mobility scooters but they're $50 per day! Wheelchairs are cheaper but I just can't expect my husband to push me round all day, I'd feel too guilty.
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:08 pm

On your other topic I suggested looking for a pharmacist to see if there could be something stronger you could buy otc that you could either take instead of, or along with your current meds to try and give you some relief. It might be something to consider doing. I know and understand why you don't want to spoil things for your family, but even tho you're keeping quiet about how you're feeling, they will probably be picking up on some things and know that you're not enjoying yourself quite as much as you're wanting them to think you are, so letting them in on how you really are might be something else to consider, as it could help ease some of the pressure and tension you're experiencing, as well as open up some other less strenuous/painful options for you that you could all still do together.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Picklepudding » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:09 pm

Yes I'll try to find a pharmacy and see what they say x
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:29 am

Talk to your husband he may well prefer to push you round than have you bursting into tears, then you would be able to enjoy things and the others wouldn't be worried about you and I agree with Flups advice
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:09 am

So sorry that you are feeling so bad ,sending some soft hugs your way.
As Flup has said do try a pharmacy there are some meds are OTC in the USA that aren't here. What about using a stick I find the extra support when out and about makes me last longer. Plus given the heat do stay hydrated and out of sun when you can. Even such basic steps can make a difference.

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Picklepudding » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:58 am

Every pharmacy I tried today was closed as its a Sunday...I'll have to try again tomorrow. Today we had a day at the beach which involved minimal walking but I'm still in agony. I'm so so fed up with this.
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby 2measures » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 am

Really do feel for you, especially as you are on holiday, when you've finished your day try and have a hot bath, I find this helps, and whilst you are away it doesn't hurt to up your meds to get you through this bad period, but make sure your back to your normal dosage when you come back. Work out what area hurts the most, if its the legs, try elevating them when you sit down, rather than stand around find a wall and put your back flat to it this helps take the pressure off the lower part of the body, and you can lift your legs up to rest them. If its your top half, when you sit down, try leaning forward with your elbows on your knees, sometimes it helps if you do this to put your head/chin on your hands, I also notice that you don't mention a stick, try two, this helps with weight distribution.
Everyone's different unfortunately, but sometimes a little can help a lot. Most of all "Smile" and think positive thoughts. Hope something I've said helps. :-D :-) :crazy:
2measures
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:27 pm

So sorry to hear that you could n't get any comfort.Lets hope you can get to speak to someone today .

Please remember to tell the pharmacist about all your drugs inc over the counter meds and if possible bring the bottle or script so he can see the generic name as some meds are know by different names in different countries. Also as there are some drugs in the USA that you can get over the counter that are Perscription only in the UK so wouldn't want you to think just cause its over the counter its mild.
I remember my aunt being horrified that I was taking OTC co-codamol tablets as they are a no-no in some States and heavily monitored in others , while you could just walk in and buy Naproxen off the shelf which is POM here.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Picklepudding » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks everyone. I've relented and hired a wheelchair today. Much better for me but I feel so sorry for my poor husband :-(
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi Pickle

I've just got back from a 2 week holiday in Greece and I too really really struggled. I honestly thought the heat, proper mediterranean food and relaxation would help me much better........it really didn't. We were out with around 30 other people as I got married over there too so I guess the stress of that could have added to my struggle, and by the sounds of it you seem quite wound up and fed up. Completely understandable and I know how you feel.

I found the walking hard which was strange as walking is the only thing I can do at home, plus it was so hot even the Greeks struggled to cope. But I guess at home you don't have to go out to eat you can just stay in. I'm not sure if yuo have a Villa or Hotel but if you're in a Villa why not try a night in and get some easy to cook food from the supermarket? My mum did this a few times for us which made a nice change and we would sit round the pool watching the sun go down and played board games.

I had times in Greece where I had to go to my room and cry to myself as I was so frustrated at not being able to go to the water park with the others or go to the clubs at night time as I knew if I did I'd be out of action for the next few days. I had to make some tough decisions to get through the holiday but I knew I was doing right by myself and others. It's hard when you see people doing things you used to be able to do and no longer can.

I went to Florida a few years before FM and I remember how tired and exhausting it can be out there and that was before FM. We went with my parents who planned an activity day one day and then a rest day for the next day.

The day after my wedding I had to see a Greek Doctor as I was just so physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted. He was great and gave me an injection of painkillers and the Greek version of Codeine which I found worked much quicker than ours. It's worth seeing someone even if it's just a pharmacist out there, as I remember even the American version of paracetamol is a bit stronger than ours. Just check with someone before taking anything.

If you can try and have a soak in the bath as many times a day as you can, I did this in Greece and it did help. Plus I used Arnica gel, ice packs and elevated my legs when lying down to ease the pain there.

I realy hope you all manage to get some enjoyment out of this as it is a once in a lifetime experience, and I know how you feel Pickle so you're not alone.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia