noisy plates etc...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

noisy plates etc...

Postby ouchiemama » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Hey hope everyone is having a good day!

Bit of a strange topic name maybe..lol.

Basically I am seriously considering getting plastic/paper plates etc because the noise of unloading the dishwasher & putting dishes away is really getting to me!! :yikes: :yikes: Omg the noise hurts my head, brain, ears....its awful!!!!

Anyone else??

I have tried to get my children to do it & they do sometimes but not often enough!!

Sounds pretty ridiculous but kinda hoping someone knows what I am on about as any 'normal' person I have told are like..eh what!! lol.xx
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Re: noisy plates etc...

Postby mrspeahen » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Hello Ouchiemama!

Yes, I can't stand the noise of plates and cups! :roll: I unload the dishwasher as my first job each morning - one item at a time. :!: This also relieves my painful back after getting up - it's my only exercise for the day sometimes. :yikes: Used to love loud music too, but these days I have to feel really good before I can turn up the volume. Bright lights and noise really get on my nerves - my OH will never quite understand. All down to Fibro I reckon. x
mrspeahen
UKFM Newbie

Postby kazza65 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:47 pm

hi everyone

Hope you've all had a good day.

Funny that you should mentions noises, because i can't stand the noise of the t.v thru the day because the voices make gringe. When everybody's gone to work on a morning the first thing i do is turn the t.v off. Its bad enough the washer going without the t.v on.

So no your not alone with noises of the plates etc....
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby Becky-Lou » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:20 pm

Hey all,

I can sympathise with this- although I find noise full stop at times hard to bear. This usually happens in conjunction with all my other hypersensitivities (smell, light, touch etc). I have found though adjusting my medication slightly gives me relief, and find it only happens now when I'm really really tired and have pushed myself (which is when I usually forget my meds!).

Have you tried any other medication? I use both amitriptyline and gambapentin and my hypersensitivity has improved significantly since going combined! That and getting someone else doing the dishes ;)

Good luck xx
Becky-Lou
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Being sensitive to things, like noise, smells, lights etc is quite common to us unfortunately. There are a number of things which I can't cope with these days, one of which is the smell of coffee. Noise wise we have a chook and whenever she sees me, she starts shrieking like a seagull. This cputs right thru my head and makes me think my ears are going to start pouring with blood.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Living in a flat and having noise sensitivity is a no go!

Constantly having neighbours kids schreeching all day and night and thumping around, upstairs TV on ALL through the night! next door waking me by having a shower at 3am in morning! oh the list goes on and on...

Just wish is was a few plates :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby bestnan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 am

I miss the beginning and ends of words so have to wear earring aids. They can cause me some problems when I go in an area when there is a lot of noise. Without the aids noise is just as bad a problem as is light. Smells affect me as I have long term asthma (over 19 years) so anything sets me off.

The noise seems to feel like it's ripping through my ears and I feel I have an actual pain in my brain. Anything sets me off, such as crowds, TV's, mobile phone tones. traffic etc. And I agree that not only the OH but Dr's also don't understand what is going on with you.
bestnan
UKFM Member

Postby Purpledot » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:11 am

Oh gosh, it's not just me then! I can't bear the noise of plates etc being stacked. My lovely OH always empties the dishwasher before I get up in the morning, but even the noise from downstairs grates on me. :roll:

Strangely enough, I can put up with loud music so long as it's not too high pitched. My son is a professional drummer, and I am happier slouched in the corner of a pub listening to one of his gigs than sitting in our garden whilst our neighbour's grandchildren screech their way through another Sunday afternoon! :crazy:
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby ouchiemama » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:08 am

Ahh thanks good well not good to hear Im not alone! lol. well not good.. but ya know.. :crazy:

Yeh its not just the plates, I know all senses are heightened with this lovely illness - its the tv, kids crying & shouting, dogs barking..etc! It was just that the emptying of the dishwasher is the thing really getting to me at the moment!

I had a thought ..... I am going to get ear plugs for when I have to empty it!! xx
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Postby JemmaB88 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Nope not alone at all. Although, what I wouldn't give to have a dishwasher! Wash by hand, which kills my shoulders so I limit myself to washing up once a day :P I work in a vets so barking dogs gets to me the most. Sometimes when I am being very sensitive to noise, my vision distorts when there is a very loud noise, like someone yelling in the street (I also live opposite a primary school, not really helping myself am I....) or when the shop (also opposite) takes delivery and the lorry bangs or something. I did steal some of my husbands ear plugs from work which help if everything is very loud/irritating.

Jem x
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Phew glad to see it's quite common then. It's plates, forks being dropped on them, kids screaming or playing loud music, tv etc.
Oh and don't forget police cars or ambulance, their noise drives me up the wall and makes me wanna dig my nails into the ceiling..if that wouldn't hurt so much.
Tough luck, I live on a main road, close-ish to a hospital and they just keep coming. It's never quiet enough for me to relax, destress and recharge. I miss the door or phone a lot but there are days when I wear my earplugs even during the day. :-?

Gentle hugs,

Karou
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia