vivid nightmares!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

vivid nightmares!

Postby andynev67 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:52 pm

since i started having fibro,ive been having horrendous nightmares and my girlfriend says im so physically active in my sleep. anyone else have this problem??? :sleep:
andynev67
UKFM Newbie

Re: vivid nightmares!

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi, Are you on amitriptyline/nortriptyline? these can cause horrific vivid nightmares just a thought as these meds tend to be the most used for pain relief in fibro.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby SuzyVB » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:08 pm

I have some odd rather than scary dreams but I put that down to the morphine
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby charlie9 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi,

I have actually had vivid and lucid dreams from as young as I can remember (about 4). I watched a programme about people trying to have lucid dreams and how to try and do it which I found hilarious because I lucid dream all the time to the point I change dreams and also know when it's going to get nasty and tell my self to wake up again and again and I can literally feel myself trying to open my eyes and wake up - and I do eventually wake up. I am also now on amitriptyline and I think perhaps the dreams have become scarier. My vivid and lucid dreams aren't always scary, but they have been more scary I think since starting the meds. All I can say really is there may be a reason in your life or simply the exhaustion and frustration of havng fibro is making you dream differently. I know vivid dreams can be horrendous and can leave you mentally exhausted. I have often woken up screaming or crying my eyes out. Or asking my partner very weird questions!! Try to make your sleep environment as calm as possible, lavender pillow spray may help you relax. Avoid thinking or watching things that are a negative occurrence in your dreams. Fibro can be a lifesucker (as I think of it sometimes) and how you feel inside may be making an appearance in your dreams. Hope you have some nice dreams instead and get some rest!

Charlotte x :sleep:
The love from my dog helps me everyday. How can you not smile with a great dane charging at you with a wagging tail every day! x
charlie9
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:39 pm

A lot of meds can make u dream. in saying that my OH walks talks makes food the lot all asleep lol.if your not on any kind of drug or indeed drink then its probably something on your mind your worrying about and your brain is trying to sort it out the only way it knows how and thats to dream,did u no u dream about 1500 dreams a year .
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby andynev67 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:20 pm

thanks for your responses. im on 50mg of amitryptiline at night and 40mg of citalopram in the morning. ive been told i thrash about at night!
:lol:
andynev67
UKFM Newbie

Postby lolabolla » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:57 pm

My GP has increased my amis' from 20 to 25 and I have just begun to have dreadful dreams since the increase.

The amis' do give me a few hours sleep now compared to barely getting half an our at a time before.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby jason25 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:08 am

andy ive had the same thing mate stopped eventurly my gf work me up once and i was trying to chock her in my sleep just be careful my ones disapered and aint had any since but like mostly everyone saying its most likely the pills there so many side affects its mad . but keep ur head high mate and fingers crossed for ya that your body beats it good luck
jason25
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Oh yes I've had this and I'm only on co codamol (30/500mg) and tramadol lol.

There have been times where I've been asleep but done what my hubbie calls "arm dancing" where my arms just wave around for no reason yet I'm fast asleep.

I have hit hit accidentally a few times too :lol: but I see this as revenge for his snoring :lol:
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:27 am

i started amitryptiline again this week and i was thinking i have started dreaming like mad ,but then i thought maybe its the fact we are getting real deep rem sleep that we are dreaming.so maybe its not the pill but the fact the pill is making us sleep. :-D :-D
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Medications ....new, increased, decreased or withdrawal can all produce very vivid "nightmares". Not just your average dream. If they are not normal dreams then I would let your Dr.know. You may need your medication reviewed.

A while ago I was late in changing my Fentanyl patches. I am on a high dose, not that it matters. Anyway, for about a month on and off I would have terrifying nightmares. Hubby would wake up to me screaming like he has never heard anyone before other than a horror film, LOL . My heart rate was unbelievably high, I was white as a sheet and sweating like crazy. To this day I can remember those nightmares in full detail.

The Dr said because I had been late with changing my patches I was going through withdrawal and even though I was getting full dose again, I would have those nightmares for quite a while. I had experienced other withdrawal symptoms but dealt with it. Now I am scared if I ever have to change the Fentanyl. I was informed it would take up to 7 years to withdraw. I know my body is addicted to Fentanyl. I don't crave it myself or even understand why people use it illegally What does it do for them? I know that my body is using the Fentanyl for what it is intended or I would be walking around stoned, sleepy etc. You would never know I was on the meds I am because the pain receptors are using it as it should.

Sorry to go on but it is important to inform your Dr of any side effect you could be having from your meds. Don't skip doses thinking I will catch up later and never double up because you missed a dose without your Dr's knowledge.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby andynev67 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:58 am

tbh honest they are lessening now but i sleep well .but still feel like crap in the morning.im just grateful i DO sleep!!
andynev67
UKFM Newbie

Postby RachelO » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:25 pm

I dream't a lot when I started taking amitriptyline. But, now I don't seem to dream that often at all. I hope those nightmares get better soon.
Life is short, live it. Love is rare, grab it. Anger is bad, dump it. Fear is awful, face it. Memories are sweet, cherish it.” – Unknown
RachelO
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia