gluten free diet

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

gluten free diet

Postby SusiePickle » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:07 pm

A number of people have mentioned trying a gluten free diet. Has anyone tried this? If so, is it of any benefit to fibromyalgia
sufferers?
SusiePickle
UKFM Newbie

Re: gluten free diet

Postby Pipsie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:15 pm

I find a no sugar (if you do have it, get unrefined sugar and cut it to the minimum. Alternatively Agarve syrup is good), no high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, artificial sweeteners, etc and no refined grains is much better, and easier. If you are not a coeliac then gluten isn't an aggravating factor, and it is much easier to eat grains like spelt and aramath, and cut out all processed foods.
Turmeric and Beetroot extracts are also good, as is Co Enzyme Q-10.7
Best thing to keep a diary and see what food aggravate your symptoms. It can take a while to get it right and see the effects but it is worth it in the long run.

Good luck! :-D
Pipsie
UKFM Member

Postby SusiePickle » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Liking the diary idea :-)
Will try this and let you know how I get on
Many thanks x
SusiePickle
UKFM Newbie

Postby ecologisttobe » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:11 pm

I agree with Pipsie about the sugar.

I do find cutting out gluten helps me A LOT in regards to IBS and general cramping/achey pain feelings...I still get them of course but it reduces it by about 80%!!! The worst gluten culprits are actually anything like bread or pastry...I can handle some forms of gluten like oats etc but I tend to eat grains like brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa etc as full of nutrients which are essential for reducing fibro pain.

If I ate the above I can't function that well...I get very lethargic and irritable and my movements become so weak I have to stay in bed or on the sofa after falling down stairs. lol

Caffeine is awful in regards to my fatigue. I try and avoid anything that causes energy surges.
ecologisttobe
UKFM Member

Postby Acei » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Same here. Had great results eliminating gluten and so have several in my local support group. Like many things with FMS, it works for some and not others.
Acei
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:38 am

Hi,

I've cut out normal bread completely and even gluten free I only eat very rarely. In the mornings I always had toast but now I'll eat porridge and put some fruit and sometimes honey or agarve syrup. And I feel so much better with it, less pain/cramps and I don't feel hungry again too soon.

Pizza and pasta are trouble (mainly because of IBS) but I'm glad that there are gluten free alternatives, even for mac cheese. :mrgreen: I also cut out milk for a while until I found out that it's only certain combinations I can't have (coffee and milk or milk and cookies for example). I find soya or almond milk is a good alternative.

Hope this helps.

Gentle hugs,

Karou
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby loobeyloo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi fellow sufferers,
I agree, I took out gluten, all refined sugar (I use Agave syrup), and dairy and my symptoms reduced dramatically. I try to eat as much of my food fresh and if possible organic (or grow some of my own veg). I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 3 years ago, and although I'm currently experiencing unusual bouts of extreme fatigue,and quite weepy now and then, I still manage to hold down a full time job, go swimming each week, cycle at least once a week, and do various stretching exercises to try everything to keep on going. Sometimes I fail quite miserably, and do too much, still find it difficult to pace myself. A decent diet is the best medicine. I only take Etodolac now to help reduce the swelling and paracetamols. Following a trial using a patch, I collapsed in a heap and now cannot tolerate co-dydramol. Pain clinic don't know what to do with me and have given up. The rest of the time I keep to herbal medicines under the guidance of a holistic therapist. Along with that I go to see a chiropracter now and then to put me back together again, and an osteopath if I need relief with tendon pain. It keeps me going anyway. Turmeric is great, best taken with a pinch of black pepper as this helps it to be absorbed in the body faster. Trying an experiment to not eat pork or pork products at the moment to see how that goes. I keep a diary to try to see what the triggers are. Now I'm being referred back to a rheumatologist, as my doctor who for the first time in 3 years actually pressed my sore joint and looked at the swelling thinks something else is going on, and I'm coming up negative on all tests. Hey ho round we go againl.....
loobeyloo
UKFM Newbie

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:18 am

I went gluten free a while back. Also tried the low oxalate diet. Neither of them made any difference to me at all, I'm afraid. I don't eat much refined sugar or processed food anyway so not really much to cut out there so haven't bothered.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Fibro Fi » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:51 am

Hi,
I was diagnosed with coeliac s disease late last year. Since cutting out gluten my IBS has reduced dramatically. Coeliac disease can cause fatigue too so,is probably a contributing factor.
I've just had some tests done through a private dietician to see if there are any other possible causes for my fibro. They found two bacterial infections in my bowel which can contribute towards fatigue and IBS. It also found that I had virtually no good bacteria in my bowel. I also have candida in my small bowel and am suffering from adrenal fatigue. I have insufficient hormones DHEA and cortisol which both contribute to fatigue.
What I've learned is that fibro can be made up from various different ways not just one thing.
I have now started various supplements and a restricted diet (again). ( I did this properly at the beginning of the year with good effects, but for me to keep going on it I needed medical facts to prove that I needed to be on it long term as I find it difficult to stick to). The restricted diet cuts out sugar, alcohol, yeast, mushrooms, dairy, processed foods, whole nuts but grounded is ok, high starch foods like potatoes, but new ok, obviously gluten and malt. I'm finding that I miss sauces and dressings the most and sugar when I get that craving! I'm eating gluten free porridge oats with berries and rice milk for breakfast, salad with protein for lunch and a veg, meat and new pot meal or pasta in the evening. In the depths of my subconscious, I've known that I should have been eating like this years ago as I suspected I had candida anyway, but I find it so hard to stick too. But now I've paid for these supplements it would be stupid and a waste of my money if I didn't stick to it! I've managed 5 days so far! I've agreed with my dietician to one coffee per day 2 of which can be lattes. This is to help me feel not completely cut off from a social life! There's only so much peppermint tea and water I can take!
I'm trying to find recipes without sugar, yeast, dairy and gluten. It's not easy, but I've got three books to help me and I'm road testing pancakes made with rice flour and soya milk on a friend next week! One good side effect so far is weight loss!
This week I've discovered goats cheese, mini poppadoms and naked bars. I love snacking in the evening so these are helping. Just need to get to the health food shop for a few more buys!
Good luck with your diet. Eating cleaner can only be a good thing. I will tell you more as my journey carries on assuming I don't fall off the wagon!
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia