Feel so low

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Feel so low

Postby Cybermum » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:06 pm

For a year now we have been fighting our landlord and his mate(who is now landlord's agent as landlord has moved away) to get some jobs done around the house we rent.
It got to the stage where earlier this year we had to get the Enviromental Health involved. We've also gone on the Council Housing list, (not that we'll ever get to top of the list).

Enviro came out and assessed the place. Since then only one job has been completed, which was to fix the fan in the bathroom which has never worked since fitting. Landlord and his mate till then had called us liars for saying it didn't work. But had to send someone out when Enviro told them to.

Also, for the 4 years I've been living here my landlord has always said there is insulation in the loft. Even when I've been able tto get it checked for free, he's refused. Anyway, enviro insisted someone came out to look and found there is only 25mm of insulation in the loft, instead of the legal 250mm's amount. That's getting fitted in 2 weeks time at last.

But, there are still many jobs that need doing that they keep lying or ignoring Enviro about. For one, my stepson has an old window in his room(Victorian houses), and there is a hole about 2 inches long in the window frame. You can see outside through it perfectly.
Our bedroom has black mould all along the bay window.

We have a living room window that we have to wedge open because the weights no longer work in the sash. Enviro said that's classed as entrapment. In the winter, we have to use wheathershield sheeting over that window to keep some warmth in as an original window so very cold. The bathroom built in cupboard is also black on the top and we can't put anything in it as it'd get mould on it. The wall where the window is in the bathroom is cracked and chunks of plaster and paint frequently fall off that wall. The paint on the ceiling in there is flaking off due to damp from no insulation. My boy's bedroom has wallpaper peeling off. We offered to remove the paper, treat the wall and paint the wall. Landlord refused our request.

Also, there is a huge damp patch on our kitchen ceiling where there is obviously a leak from our bath somewhere. When I came to view the house 4 years ago, the landlord told me there had been a leak, but was repaired and his handyman would pop in once a month and just go over that area with normal white paint. But since he stopped doing that the stain is getting bigger and bubbly and obviously worries me.

2 weeks ago I went for my normal apt at my doctor's and he talked about maybe me cutting down on my anti d's as been on them since 2008 when my premature newborn son died. But I just cracked up in his room over the stress of all this.
Last week we went away to Skeggy for a week and although walking around obviously caused pain, I felt a lot better in many ways. But within 24 hours of being back here, my throat was dry and scratchy again, my voice is croaky and got a horrible headache today and feel totally exhausted again and chronic IBS, also, my asthma is kicking in again too.

Now I know a lot of that can be due to my Fibro or stress, or both. lol But, how can damp and mould actually affect you? Me and my partner sleep in a room that has black mould on the bay window. That cannot be good for us surely? I've got our MP on the case too. But all he does is write to the Housing Manager at our council to see what is happening whenever I chase him up. We did stand the chance of a house recently, but 2 others were put forward too. It looks like one of those others have been chosen for that house which is gutting as it was lovely and perfect for us. :( .

Sorry to go on, just so stressed and exhausted of it all. Feel so ill today too. Evil headache and just want to sleep. I feel like I've failed my kids, by not being able to give them a decent home. Just don't know what to do anymore. I just want to give in now. Thankfully, my GP decided it wasn't good time for me to come off my anti-d's. But right now, I don't think even they are helping :(
Had to get this all out my system as no-one else listens. My other half has all this plus me to worry about, and my family just think I'm a whinge. They don't believe in Fibro anyway, so no point in even attempting to talk to them. :needhug:

Jo
xx

ps- if any spellings are bad, sorry, also got bad fog today xx
Last edited by denys on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Breaking up of paragraphs to make reading easier
Cybermum
UKFM Member

Re: Feel so low

Postby cherryscone » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi, the black mould you refer too can trigger and make asthma worse, go back to GP and tell him! Ask him to write to the council, have you also looked at housing trusts and associations. I do not know where you live, but most social housing providers will prioritise on medical grounds. I get thing about family not understanding, sending massive hug. Hang on in there all will sort eventually. http://www.colchester.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=936&p. this is a link to info from Colchester council. I know it's hard, but pace yourself and fight the breaurocrats in spurts... That's how I have done it over the years. When I feel strong enough I will give it an hour and if I don't I recover until I can. Sending huge hugs. And love and strength. If you can't handle the fight contact citizens advice, or other charities, if you have a child see if you have HomeStart in your area, a great support network for families, a charity set up by mums and dads for mums and dads. Good luck xxxxx
cherryscone
UKFM Newbie

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:02 pm

mound can be very very bad for your health im surprized the envio ppl havnt done anything about it . the spors that come off the mound can get in your lungs. i lived in a house like that for 5 years so i no how u feel.if your renting why stay find something else and move xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Karen204 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:09 pm

I assume you're in England.. I'm sure these people will help you find safe accomodation. :goodluck2: Don't lose hope. There is help available. http://england.shelter.org.uk/
Here, take a gentle hug. I'm sure you need one. :hugs:
Karen204
UKFM Newbie

Postby Cybermum » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Painprincess, we can't just up and move. We need the deposit and moving money. And we don't get the deposit back on this place till 30 days after moving. We're not entitled to help with the Council's deposit schemes cause we're actually classed as having a deposit, even though it's tied up in this house. So, it's not that simple as to just moving. If it was, we'd have gone a long time ago.

Thanks for the help and ideas ladies. I will look into those

Jo
xx
Cybermum
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:22 pm

The mold can seriously damage your health and having fibro i would imagine it can excabate symptoms.

I would speak to your GP about being exposed to this mold and that nothing is being done. That your on the housing registar. Ask GP to do you a letter explaining how your health is deteriorating within the poor living conditions and then call up housing people for an appointment.

Get a letter from the EH explaining situation and whats been happening.

Discuss about living condition with council/housing people and whats been going on like you explained above and hand in letter from GP and EH

Hopefully this should up your points for housng and may even put you onto the emergancy list.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby denys » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:07 pm

Cant offer any more advice than you have got already but just wanted to say, keep fighting, with the right people on your side you will get somewhere else to live :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:09 pm

Sorry things are so bad for you at the moment. I think your trip to Skeggy and an improvement in you health has clearly shown that there is something in the house that is contributing to your bad health, so would go to the GP and discuss things again . If you can't talk to him about it print out your post on this thread as it sums everything up really well .

I would go back to EH and ask them to come out and have a look at the mould and push if necessary for them to take samples so that they/ you can identify what it actually is and if it is bad for your health . Some black mould can be from damp in the brick work I think while another is caused by condensation ( I have it in two of my bedrooms). Condensation mould can be treated by wiping down the area with soapy water and a light bleach solution and then using a dehumidifier. I put one I got from Lidl ( about £6 small box with crystals that seem to capture the damp in the air) in one room last winter and was amazed by the amount of water it collected In our case by doing all that it tends to keep the black at bay for a few weeks.

If its due to condenstation there are other things you can do to help pls google and find out as I can't remember them at the minute :yikes: Fibro Fog (FF)

Good luck with things I know it isn't easy to have other problems on top of the FIbro but if you pace and just take one task a day you will hopefully get there in the end.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia