Hair Cut Short

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hair Cut Short

Postby SylvieS » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:26 am

I have worn my hair in a shoulder length bob for years , my hair was my pride and joy and not bragging I used to get quite a few comments re how nice the style was and glossy my hair looked.
That was untill FM took over my hair for the pass year has looked as if I am in a scarecrow movie.... plus washing and styling has become a nightmare with painful stiff hands and arms.
So yesterday I had the lot chopped off into a style that I am led to believe I should be able
wash and leave to dry naturally...
I only had to run a brush through it this morning - but I think it will take a while to get used to it xSx

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
SylvieS
UKFM Member

Re: Hair Cut Short

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:13 am

u no i have offen thought my age is why my year isn't as curly as it used to be. but maybe its the fibro. i have very curly long hair but now its scruffy looking . i no one day i shall hove to cut it but i always put it up nice and neat and my OH would go spare if i cut it off. :crazy:
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:24 am

My hair is like rats tails and I really need to get it cut, so well done you sylvie for taking the plunge. I'm sure you will get used to it soon :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby padders » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:33 am

I have had to do the same with mine was so upset but now used to it after a month x
padders
UKFM Member

Postby Purpledot » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:39 am

Snap on the rats' tails front!!! I used to have lovely thick, shiny wavy hair.........for that now read horrible, scraggy and lifeless.

This fibro has a lot to answer for!

I, too, know I need to get it cut but keep putting it off.

Well done for taking the plunge, SylvieS, and I'm sure you'll get used to your new look real soon. Just concentrate on how easy it is to look after now!
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby PhoebeCat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:41 am

I am thinking of doing the same, its just plucking up the courage. I have an appointment next Thursday but whether that will be THE day or not, I cant be sure
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Postby SylvieS » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:57 am

To be honest I put it off 3 times - each time I made the appt only to cancel on the morning of the appt - think I felt having it cut was giving into Fibro - hubby said that watching me get stressed out each day over my hair was hard to watch and although he loved my hair (pre FM days) said that after I had had it cut it looked better and healthier
I know in the long term it will be easier to look after( I hope) and hopefully I may even be able to wash it independantly..

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
SylvieS
UKFM Member

Postby angela m » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:36 am

I have recently had all my hair chopped. From very long too very short, i couldnt cope with it long anymore and as your self i took pride in it and was complemented on it condition

too my surprise with it short i have still had complements i have even been asked if i am hair dresser because it looked styled. I just put rollers in the top to make it have volume. I cant use hair dryers too heavy.

So my point is with the right style your hair can be just as beautyful as before and if it was in good glossy condition that will still be seen with it short.
angela m
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 pm

I cut my hair shorter also. I used to do my hair in a bun or plait it and put it up but holding my arms up was agony. Like others holding a hair dryer was not worth the pain.

Now I have not only those issues with my haif. I have no thyroid (cancer). Since the treatment and meds for it I am getting a bald spot. I didn't notice it until I saw a picture of the top of my head, LOL. My hair is coming out and has never done that before.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Of all the things that have affected me and changed over the years with FM, the one thing that has got better is my hair. Gone is the greasiness I had to contend with on a daily basis, regardless of what shampoo and conditioner I used on it. And with the lack of yuckyness pulling it down, I even appreciate the natural wave and ringlets it has.

I think a lot of it has come from finding the best stylist I have known in a long, long time. From going as and when I needed to, I now go very regularly and now look forward to it as it's one of the very few indulgences I now have. I find it rather theraputic and so relaxing that at times, I've needed to be nudged and prodded to make sure I'm still awake :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've mostly worn my hair fairly long since my teens, with the occasional time when I've had it bobbed. I'm very conscious of having it too short as I have scars on both sides of my head from being on skull traction. One of them is rather large as the bit that was screwed into my skull slipped and became infected, and altho the skin healed over it, my hair hasn't ever grown back on either site. I also have a scar running up my spine/neck and into my hairline from a fusion op on some vertebrae that is very noticeable, even after the 20 years since it was done, so wearing my hair longer helps to hide that as well, as I get very :oops: :oops: :oops: when people see it and start asking about it.

Length~wise, it's about 6 inches below my shoulders at the moment which is around where I like to keep it as I can still manage it.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Karou » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:22 pm

I'm thinking a lot about cutting my hair short but because I'm a bit overweight I'm worried that it might look bad and make my face look bigger. Having said that, I can't do much with it these days because I don't have the energy so all I do is pull it upin a very very loose ponytail that looks b as if my hair band is too old and can't hold it.

My hair used to have lovely curls and all I needed was a bit of wax but since Fibro got me I've tried to straighten it. Used a hot air styler but even that is too much at the moment. Plus, my hair looks dry, frizzy lifeless even though it feels soft. :cry: And it looks like a rat's trail when I find someone who doesn't mind helping with a nice plait. So thin, it's frustrating.

Maybe I should try to find a nice cut but I'm unsure what would suit me. How did you pick your new cut? Did you have someone with you? Or did you tell the stylist to surprise you?

Update: I did it. My friend took me to her place and we went out for a coffee. I had been looking at some hair ideas and she said ok lets just go and do it. So we booked and I got rid of the hairy mess. :mrgreen:

It was nice, the woman who did it was very understanding and we had a good chat. She did what she called a Japanese bob with side fringe. So now if I have the energy I wear it straight and if not I just put a bit of wax and it'll look messy. Feels soooo good not to get hot around the neck and it's short so no more headache or hurting scalp from ponytail.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby BonnGayle » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:08 pm

I had mine cut off for good last summer i have a curl and it's thick in fact the older i get the thicker and rougher it seems to get so now it has a pixie cut i let it be a little longer in the winter but not much i just have to wash it let it dry on its own the i mess it up with some hair paste, i wack some henna on it on sometimes to liven the colour up that also makes it shine, google pixie cuts and show your hair dresser some print outs maybe that's what i always do saves trying to find the right German word in my case lol
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia