Help with walking

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help with walking

Postby syrena » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Over the last couple of months I'm finding it more and more difficult to get about, even indoors. I was thinking that perhaps a walking stick etc would help. I'm looking at finding out how to go about it, should I ask doctors opinion and perhaps get one from national health or have others just gone out and bought one ?
A walking frame would be ideal as when I do have to go into a supermarket the only way I can walk round to get why I need is by supporting myself with one of those small trolleys .
syrena
UKFM Newbie

Re: Help with walking

Postby Garyl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Syrenna, go to your doctors and explain this ask to be referred to a physiotherapist, the physiotherapist will then do the neccesary of providing a stick, free of charge.

Mine provided a second stick but then decided i was two bad so ordered a wheeled walker, which is a god send, even if i am not a oap it is helping
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Michelleg123 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:15 pm

I have trouble moving around too and I have a pair of crutches that I use to get around, sometimes I only use 1 but like you I need a trolley to lean on at the supermarket - get yourself some from the hospital or get yourself a walking stick - anything that can help you will help keep you mobile - good luck
Michelleg123
UKFM Member

Postby syrena » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks for info, will definitely ask about being referred to physio next visit to doctors at end of month :)
syrena
UKFM Newbie

Postby Cybermum » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:28 pm

I got crutches off the physio. Not that I go to her anymore as she struck me off the list for cancelling 2 appts due to poorly kids. *Apparently* she said I had my priorities wrong :twisted: . I can only use one though as have a tear in my left shoulder so can't put any pressure on that arm. I have bought a stick from a mobility shop though.
I also have to lean on trollies when shopping for support

Jo
Xx
Cybermum
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:29 pm

Syrenna the quicker you can do it the better, have to say i did not expect to go from one stick to two to a walking frame with wheels all in just 3 weeks.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Miss Painful » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:53 pm

I have found that by using a mobility scooter when I take my doggies out and when I go shopping, I feel so much better generally, I still take the pain killers and use a walking stick when I go for a short walk because I cannot walk in a straight line and have a tendancy to fall over.
Gentle Hugs :crazy: xxx
Miss Painful
UKFM Member

Postby ecologisttobe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Ask doctor etc but you may want to invest in some of your own. My crutch is awesome with its flexi ferrule thing means I don't tip side ways as much as it supports me when I end up leaning! lol

I was too lazy to go to an appointment though, there are already enough appointments if I can do something myself I will. Just if you do that make sure you keep good posture or you will set yourself up with a whole world of new issues. I find two crutches you may need help as you can end up putting too much trouble on your back.
ecologisttobe
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:47 pm

when u go shopping in a supermarket why dont u ask for the elecy scooter most big shops have them.i no if i get that bad i will.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Witchfyre » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Hiya

I have similar problems and I referred myself to the local council Occupational Therapy department at Adult Services. They will arrange for an assessment in your own home to see what your needs are.

They are able to provide aids such as walking sticks, frames, perching stools, extra stair rails, grab rails and bath boards all free of charge. It could take a while before they come out but this help is available to anyone who needs it and its all done through self-referral. Your local County Council website should have a link for Occupational Therapy or Adult Services.

They came out to me and now I have a bath board, perching stool, extra handrail on the stairs plus two at the top, and a grab rail in the shower as well as a frame for the toilet. The assessor also officially registered me as disabled with the council so I don't have to pay VAT on any other equipment.

Love and light to all :-)
Witchfyre
UKFM Newbie

Postby dragonfly » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:32 pm

Hello every one. I too need help in walking so I bought a walking stick and a Tri-walker I didn't realise how it would help me to get about. Can't believe how this illness has left me unable to walk. If I do too much that's it I have to lay down on my bed for about three days and that is just going to the doctors. :crazy:
dragonfly
UKFM Newbie

Postby smiler22 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:04 pm

I started off with two crutches but after an op can only use one. so had to adapt to this. it still can cause me a lot of pain though. as I tend top get a pulled muscle in my left shoulder every nown and again and have to go to the gp with this. . however like I have saidin another post. I use a wheelchair but I have to be pushed in it as cant self propel myself. and then I use a scooter when I go in supermarkets etc. I got so I couldn't push a full trolley or even small amount in them. and felt sometimes it felt like I was falling forward so stopped using them and just use a scooter. it even saves me from having to stand in long queues which I cannot do. so I can now sit on t hee scooter. im 34. but have done this since I was 28. so whatever age you are. if you need to use them that's what they are there for. I even had an old gentlemen get of one scooter and tried to insist on me using it as I was worse than him in walking. so I compromised my letting him do his shop an dthen he gave me it when he finished bless him I was not gonna take it off him. I used to look aftr the elderly. xxx
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia