x-ray results.......

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

x-ray results.......

Postby kazisedso » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi everyone,

hope you are all doing ok and not in too much pain especially now the weather can't make it's mind up!!

I had a visit with my physiotherapist today and was having a good chat and mentioned that i had not been given my x-ray results from the hospital ( requested by pain clinic).

I had a hip and lower back x-ray done in June and the results have been very slow at coming through!!
Anyway, she said that she would go and check to see if she could find them, she did and told me that my hip was fine but that they had reported degeneration of my lower spine.... ( have lot's of pain in this area that radiates to my hip and can prevent me from walking when it's really bad :yikes: :yikes: ).

Is this Arthritis?

The physiotherapist explained as best as she could telling me that in between some of my spinal joints has lost it's 'cushioning' so basically it can result in bone rubbing on bone ( no wonder my back hurts so much!).
I just wondered if this is actually classed as osteoarthritis?
The physio kept mentioning arthritis of the spine but i'm still not sure if that is what i have.

Any of you lovely people out there know anything about this?
Mr googley has said that it can be osteo....... and then again it may not be.

Some people have degeneration of the spine and no symptoms.... unfortunately i am not one of them, i am in excruciating pain and my standing tolerance on some days is non exisistent.

any info would be greatly received and of course i will discuss it with my gp the next time i see him.

Thanks.
Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Re: x-ray results.......

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:19 pm

I also have degeneration of the spine and one of the doctors told me its osteoarthritis and the other just said *wear and tear*
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby kazisedso » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi Lisa

Yes wear and tear were mentioned for me too, i asked the physio if this could be causing the problems in my hip and she said without a doubt yes..... so that would explain the pains i have in this area.

i was some what relieved to be told that there was in fact 'something' that could possibly explain the pain in my back, bum and hip......

My daughter said to me 'mum, why do you look happy that you might have osteo in your spine'
I said that i wasn't happy about it at all but relieved that all this pain and the discomfort does possibly have a cause and a name to it and that what i am feeling is not in my head, its awful and very real and really does stop me in my tracks at times.

Thanks for the reply. xxx

Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Postby kazza65 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:49 pm

hi

hope everybody is tickety boo with the weather on the turn now.

I have osteoarthritis of the spine. My rheumatology doctor told that i had wear and tear on the spine which is osteoarthritis of the spine.

Hope this is some help, also i'm having to go for a scan on my hands because i my fingers are solid when i get up for about an hour to two hours when i get up.

karen
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby kazisedso » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi Kazza65,

my hands, thumbs and wrists are really stiff and painful too hmmmmmmm wonder if this is arthritis related too
will be asking to be re-referred back to the rheumatologist to get this all investigated further me thinks!!

Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Postby padders » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:09 pm

See no wonder we are all confused we are all told different things!! I have problems with my spine and have had x rays and MRI scan and was told it is 2 disc causing problem cannot rem which 2 at moment (fibro fog) just said wear and tear not arthritis!! Though I have it in both my hips and knee. So you see we all have same pains and problems but so many different reasons!! Just think most Drs don't care to much as they think we are just putting it on sometimes!! Although I would live them to change places with a few of us for a few hours then they may understand a bit more what we go through on a daily basis. Also I think they are told to say wear and tear as when it comes to claiming benefits they can say well Dr doesn't say it is arthritis so we then have another fight in our hands!!
padders
UKFM Member

Postby andie30 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi i ave similar problem but its in my both shoulder joint its very painfull and it limits my my movement and activities.they said it just wear and tear.
andie30
UKFM Newbie

Postby kazisedso » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi padders,

Yes I think you are spot on with the gp's saying wear and tear rather than arthritis because of benefits etc.

And yes it probably would mean another fight on your hands..... Like we haven't got enough to deal with...

It was my physiotherapist who told me what was reported re my X-rays, my gp hadn't had them bk the last time I saw him.... Will be interesting to hear what he says!!!

Tbh if he says it's normal wear and tear I think my hubby will go ballistic as he sees what I go through day to day and the pain I am in with my back and hip and the fibro aches and pains.
He has already said that if I don't, he, will insist on a referral to a rheumy to see what they have to say!!

Lets just hope my gp doesn't say normal wear n tear ( although that would be nice if it were true, if ya get my drift! )

Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:02 pm

Hiya,

Still raining here but it seems to be warmer. Getting my hopes up...

I found this http://www.spinesurgerylondon.com/patient-information/the-conditions/general/wear-and-tear-explained and find it quite interesting that "if this occurs in any other part of the body it would be called arthritis".

They really try to confuse people. So basically it is exactly that but just has a different name. I wonder if I should ask my GP to explain what exactly it means in my case. Maybe getting it written down would be a bit much to hope for.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Gentle hugs,

Karou

PS: Can't seem to get this link into a link that just says "link". :(
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:09 am

Iv clicked on the link and all is fine :-D
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Tracie » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:34 pm

I have same problem,gp said in plain English wear and tear with me my left hip was bad he sent me for x ray,when we discussed results he said it was coming from my back and I said back fine it's my hips,now back is bad and so is right hip,then I started having pain all over hence diagnosed with fibromyalgia,I would see your gp for an explanation and also to do the athritis blood test.
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby kazisedso » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi Tracie,
Thanks for the reply.

I had a rheumatoid arthritis blood test last year and all was clear, was sent to a rheumy as I was still in constant pain, DX'd fibro Jan 2012.

Been referred here there and everywhere since lol, but it was the consultant at the pain clinic that asked for X-rays on lower back and hips, that was in June this year and I have only just been told what the results were from my physiotherapist.

I get pain all over but my lower back and hips are really bad, I can't stand for more than 2 mins without pain kicking in and that is no exaggeration!! It's really getting to me, I am trying to pace myself and listen to my body, but, somedays I cannot bear to stand at all, but at the same time, sitting is uncomfortable and so is lying in bed etc. so I can't win.

I will be asking my gp regarding the X-ray results but I suppose there isn't a lot that can be done about it, I'm already having physio and taking pain killers galore!!

I just really wanted to know if it's classed as osteoarthritis but I suppose I will find out when I see gp.

Take care.

Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia