breathing is hard work :(

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

breathing is hard work :(

Postby Karou » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi,

Today was bloody awful for me again, I had to get up at seven in case builders turn up which of course they didn't. So sick of not knowing what's planned.

Around 11 am I feel asleep on the sofa. Woke up an hour later thinking they've changed their mind but it was someone else. I had something light to eat and took my pain killers, realising my chest and lungs didn't feel right. At 2pm I was so tired, I had to go back to bed and slept till 8pm even though I had an acceptable night before.

Since I woke up I needed more painkillers and my lungs hurt like crazy when I breathe. Feels like my ribs are stiff and the lungs are heavy, burning. Kind of like when I have a cold but I don't have one. This makes me feel weak, irritated, teary and I don't want to breathe but of course I need to. I'm also still very tired.

Wondering if it's because I was forced to push myself yesterday. I was out because I needed wellies and my friend took me because she knows I'm not well. We found some very quick and went to a small local shop for milk and bread. On the way back to the car I was already in agony, had to stop every few steps and got frustrated with getting weird looks because I'm sitting down while my friend (she's in her 60s) is looking so fit and healthy. I'm glad she is but people don't understand, they only judge and see the woman in her 30s being lazy.

I was wondering if anyone else gets problems with breathing? (with or without pushing themselves) Forgot to say I don'tffeel like I can't get enough air, it just hurts so bad and feels exhausting.

Confused, tired and feeling very down.

Karou
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: breathing is hard work :(

Postby Shar66 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Oh hunni I sometimes get the same thing. My gp diagnosed it as costochondritis. I don't get it very often now but when I do I certainly know about it. I would go and see your gp as any kind of chest pain/difficulty breathing needs to be investigated. Just another symptom of fibro I'm afraid. But it could also be the start of a chest infection so better to get it checked out. Sending gentle ((hugs)) xxx
Shar66
UKFM Newbie

Postby shortnsweet54 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi Karou,
could it be a chest infection ?? you don't always have to have a cold. OR as Shar66 says costo, it really is evil, i had it for 7 months...my rib cage lost it's flexability and i could not breathe properly, just could not take a deep breath it was so painful. The whole of my rib cage hurt and i could not lay down properly.

Best get checked out and see what your GP or rheumy says , you can never be too careful.

hope you feel better soon, hugs
Jan xxx
shortnsweet54
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:08 pm

Costochrondritis is a very commen assciated condition agrivated by stress.

See your GP to be sure

Iv suffered this now for over 6 years and its one of my worst symptoms. I ended up in A@E many times with it as couldnt breathe yet theres nothing that can be done so now i manage this by trigger point therapy and massaging pain relieving gels around the area that effected.

Eating little and often helps as i found that when the stomach is bloated it puts added pressure on ribs.

Relaxation techniques and breathing exercises help plus i have an inhalor and pain killers/anti-infllamms

I also have a medication called spasmonal this helps relax the stomach muscles when on an attack to help me breathe
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Karou » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies.

Chest infection isn't impossible, I'm at a friend's place as she's working and has building work done so I'm letting them in v and we need the doors open all day. I'm always wrapped warm but maybe breathing in too much cold air doesn't help.

After researching the symptoms for costo I'm wondering...the pain I have gets worse towards the afternoon/evening. At this point wearing a bra is like torture and I'm glad I bought some of those "miracle" ones. They don't do as advertised but because the material is soft and stretchy I find them more comfortable. I thought the area around my breastbone was sore but was blaming my chest/muscles. :-| My ribcage isn't as flexible as it was, I try and do a lot of stretching but noticed a difference there and I also get more pain in my arms lately. What "fun". :dunno:

I hope my doctor doesn't just say it's Fibro, gotta live with it.

I booked myself in to see my GP in two weeks to find out what it might be. If it gets worse I'll go earlier and try for a same day appointment.

Lisa, I use spasmonal for IBS and had it when I still had my gallbladder and stones. I'll see if it makes any difference for this kind of pain, haven't used it in a while as I switch between this and buscopan sometimes. I'm glad you mentioned it, maybe it'll help.

Gentle hugs,

Karou
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia