One Huge Depression

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

One Huge Depression

Postby Tel1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi all

I have replied to a few people in the past about their hands out for support, and of course I have written about how I have felt regarding this damn Fibro... but you know what... I *still* think that after all that is said and done, I feel sure that this Fibro is all about
our brains being damaged with depression more that any other part of the collection of symptoms that Fibro is supposed to be about.
I feel 100% convinced that it just must be and that is why there are no real blood tests etc for it... When you read all the articles about how one is suppose to get Fibro in the first place, it nearly always says that it was probably caused by a road accident, and trauma,
the loss of someone etc.. At first when I read all that, I thought... hmmmm!!? but now I actually think it must be true, in other words
deep down within ourselves, I am sure it is because our lives and expectations haven't gone the way we had hoped, or perhaps we have had more knock backs and emotional shocks throughout our lives and that is why we are like we are...I just think that Fibro must be the outward symptoms of inner thoughts and sadness, that has gradually come out in us, which is why Fibro has so many illnesses surrounding it. I use to think I was going totally mad, because the pains, the feeling, low with no energy was something dreadful going on inside me and that I was going to die early of not being diagnosed properly, but now I know it's Fibro, I really do now think that Fibro isn't really an illness, I am sure it is a collective syndrome of being depressed for many years and not showing it, so it comes out in physical symptoms that wont go away because we have be suffering inwardly for so long, and the end result is Fibro forever :yikes: :yikes: Do any of you think what I have said is right?: :-) Like I mentioned, I am *sure* that we have all trained our
brains without ourselves knowing it to be where we are now....I would love to unzip my head take my brain out, wash it, and put it back :-D :) wouldn't that be great :sleep: :sleep:
Tel1
UKFM Member

Re: One Huge Depression

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:32 pm

There are many, many theories bounced around as to the origin and cause of FM Tel, all of which need to be thoroughly researched and assessed before it can definitely be included or ruled out.

There are those who believe it to be related to our brains in some way, whilst there are others who think it may have a more physical origin, such as the trauma from an accident. There are those who advocate an emotional cause, others who think it may be hormonal, all of which are quite possible in their own right, or it could be a combination of some or even all of the possibilities that ultimately leads to development of the condition.

FM is regarded/classified as a syndrome as it is a combination of several clinically recognizable features, signs, symptoms, phenomena or characteristics seen in association with each other.

Some syndromes have only once cause, others have possible multiple causes, and in some cases, such as FM, the cause is as yet unknown.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Garyl » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:22 am

WISH they knew cause and was a thing that helped been awake since 3am the pains in hands arms etc to bad and was to early to take pain relief.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:47 am

while i am no dr and have no idea why i have this. id have to say my mother has been through some very hard time and had alot of turmoil in her life yet she doesn't have fibro. she does however have very deep depression so does my dad who even tried to take his life and where talking about a very strong minded man who sees life in black and white.so id have to say i don't believe it in the mind at all.maybe we will never know what really starts it off .maybe its damaged nerves or missing signals in the brain . i guess the mine thing is we learn to live with it and learn its part of who we are now. when i get very low i do try to remind myself that at lest it wont kill me.unless so many poor ppl who have much worse then us xxxxx gentle hugs to u xxxxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:13 pm

There is a blood test that can now determine fibro. However, not all countries access it. The test is very new and very expensive so at this point not realistic.

My own thoughts....I agree that fibro is very complex. Our symptoms vary and in huge degrees. I do believe that most fibro patients suffer from depression, anyone in fact with a chronic illness would. I do not think that depression is the root of fibro. So many never had any depression before fibro.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Graciebaby » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:32 pm

I agree with whoami,

Many folks with Fibro suffer from depression, but I believe that dealing with a chronic condition which involves many unpleasant symptoms including severe pain is inevitably going to cause low mood and depression. It is also a fact that for many Fibro sufferers, their lives have been turned upside down by it. Many of us can't work and have lost careers through this illness and just the financial implications of this alone are enough to cause depression. Suffering from Fibro can be life changing........ and not in a good way! It certainly was for me anyway.

I suppose it's a chicken and egg thing really, ie: which came first? You believe that Fibro is caused by depression, I believe it causes one to suffer from depression as a consequence of the changes it forces upon us and the ghastly symptoms we have to deal with.

I imagine that our personal experience with this condition is bound to influence any theory we have about it isn't it.

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:17 pm

My FM started with physical illness not trauma or depression - I can trace it back to flu 8-9 years ago
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi all that replied.... I just wanted to say that..... I didn't *feel* as though I had depression, and nor did others I know on the surface, but it is what we go through in life the ups and downs of stress for whatever reason can be an inner depression that none of us know until we end up with Fibro which the medical profession say is one of the causes of Fibro.... it's all hit and miss as perhaps none of us really know and the medical profession certainly come up with too many answers as to why they think Fibro is caused:)) We will just have to all continue to suffer until one day there is a cure. but having said that, there just seems to be too many divisions of it for one pill or whatever to cure us all:) but I really do think our brains are worn out with what our bodies have gone through for years.
Anyway...who knows!! :yikes: :yikes:
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:20 pm

Tel, I can't see that anyone has said that you sound like you may have depression, what has been said is that depression and FM seem to be very closely interlinked, with many suffering with both, and that it is possible that one condition was there before the other.

As has been said tho, there are many, many ideas, theories and possibilities as to the cause/origins of FM, all of which could potentially be responsible for us being affected in the ways we are. Until these can all be researched/investigated and be proved/disproved, everything and anything is pretty much possible, altho maybe not :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: being behind it :shock: :shock: :shock:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia