Driving

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Driving

Postby Leannellie » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Has anyone else had to give up driving because of fibro?? I don't drive anymore as I don't feel safe doing so. I found I had to try and concentrate so much. I couldn't tell the difference between red and green at traffic lights!! Very scary stuff!!
Comfort in sound it's all around, ease back the strain, come heal your pain.
Leannellie
UKFM Member

Re: Driving

Postby Welshsue » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi, I drive short distances but to be honest I'm not 100% with it, between the fibro fog, meds and my ME, I have to choose my days to drive carefully, I'd hate not to be able to get to my 80 year old mums house, it's about 2 miles away, I can't venture any further as I get quite panicky in traffic, I guess the day will come when I have to give it up x
Welshsue
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:56 pm

My licence has been revoked due to how I am affected, but that happened in the early days of things when my symptoms were making it look like I had Meniere's Disease. Due to being so dizzy and being unable to judge speeds, distances etc my GP at the time had no choice but to contact DVLA as the ENT bod I was seeing said it was necessary :( :( :(

Unfortunately I have yet to be clear of all the symptoms and problems for my licence to be re~instated, and with each year that has passed it has become more and more unlikely to happen :( :( :( So very reluctantly I have had to face up to the fact that I won't be able to have a career in :f1-car: :f1-car: :f1-car: :f1-car: :f1-car: :f1-car: :f1-car: :f1-car:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Johafa » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I've had to stop driving as I can't seem to be able to concentrate properly.
Johafa
UKFM Member

Postby djclall » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Same as everyone else who have replied above. Such an annoying inconvenience. Also i get quite jealous of friends/family that do drive. Wish i could :( I have a mobility scooter and i even have trouble remembering which way is forward and which is reverse. Lost count of the amount of times i have crashed into objects or people!!.
djclall
UKFM Member

Postby Gig » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:49 pm

I 2 have been struggling with driving....if I drive for more than 10 mins I get shooting pains in my left arm due to changing gear.
I thought the meds were making me loose concentration but now im convinced its the fibro....I have forgot road signs and have taken many panic attacks due to forgetting what way to go...I also get really bad brain fog when coming out of a junction!!
I have kids to take to school and pick back up....dont know who to ask for help as hubby works full time!! Thinking about the bus but not sure if I could cope with that either when the really cold weather starts.
Hugs to you all xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Gig
UKFM Member

Postby xxteeniexx88 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:34 pm

Hi

I have recently been diagnosed with FMS but am still driving, although my workplace had to check with the doctor that I can drive with the tenants. Doctor said it was as they hadn't affected me. However when driving a long time or stuck in traffic my hands and legs start to hurt so I am now looking for an automatic to see if that helps. I am really hoping I don't have to give up journey I don't know how I would cope without it! That seems to be my only independence these days. My concentration doesn't seem that bad as of yet! :-/
xxteeniexx88
UKFM Member

Postby toplessbug » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:33 am

I've had to give up driving long distances.
3 yrs ago I worked and commuted for 6 weeks to head office in Manchester from Leicester, I thought nothing of it, now I have trouble concentrating on a 5 mile journey :-(

Worst still is we have a vw camper and go all over the country and my OH has to do all the driving.

I used to love driving, my own independents
:-( :-( :-(

Sent with gentle hugs xxxx
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:21 am

xxteeniexx88, don't panic - I was diagnosed 2 years ago after suffering for some time and I'm still driving - I recently did a solo trip 180 miles towing a half tonne box trailer in horrendous weather conditions and partly in the dark, so FM is not a guarantee of having to stop driving.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Lucyhobbit » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 am

I learnt to drive after my diagnosis of fibro. I chose to learn how to drive an automatic car - if it is difficult for me to use one hand to move the gear stick, I can use both - since I only have to move it to either Park, Reverse, Drive and don't need to move it at all whilst actually moving in the car. There are also only two pedals, and I have, when stuck in a traffic jam with a sore leg, been able to use my left leg to hold down the break so I can relieve the pressure a little.

I can drive long distances, but for me its all about planning the journey. I never do more than 2 hours without a break. When its really cold I wear leather driving gloves to keep my hands warm.

If I find my brain is a bit too foggy, then I don't use the car - or I'll get someone else to drive for me.

My car is very important to me and my independance and I would hate it if I had to give it up.
Lucyhobbit
UKFM Newbie

Postby Karou » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:53 am

I can drive short distances but I know longer trips will make me lose focus and my left arm is weaker than my right. Which means it will start hurting. This doesn't exactly help with focusing so I'd like to try an automatic but since I can't afford to buy one or don't know anyone who has an automatic I just have to accept it. :( :-? Maybe it'll get better, who knows. Still have my hope, not giving up on that. :-)
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby LuluAnne » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:54 pm

I still drive but do not like to do any driving after dark. The other car headlights are distracting to me. When I do drive the car has to be totally silent, no music or talking as I find I am much more easily distracted. It takes a lot more concentration that it used to and I am very much aware that I need to be totally committed to the task at hand.
LuluAnne
UKFM Member

Postby binty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:18 am

I was advised to avoid driving by my physio because of the side effects of the medication and my symptoms. I continue to avoid driving as much as I can. I find it very painful. Turning the steering wheel, even holding it, turning my head to check for traffic, my ankles ache, my hips hurt if it's a longer journey. Even as a passenger I experience pain. If we hit potholes or a particularly bumpy round it causes me great distress as it really seems to exacerbate my symptoms especially in my neck and arms.
binty
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia