How do you snap out of feeling low?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How do you snap out of feeling low?

Postby Picklepudding » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:09 pm

So, my bad mood hasn't improved today and I'm still feeling very down and low. Not really sure why but I just can't seem to snap out of it. My tolerance levels are at about zero and I just want to either scream or cry. I'm assuming this is normal?!?!!!

Anyway, how on earth do I get myself out of it? My husband bought me some beautiful flowers yesterday to cheer me up and I just about managed a smile on my face - I must have seemed so ungrateful. I'm at work today and I just don't want to be here.

I wish I could snap out of it!
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Re: How do you snap out of feeling low?

Postby Leannellie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:25 pm

Hey!! Snapping out of it is easier said than done. I'm really low today too but it sounds like you have a lovely husband. My husband is great so supportive and sometimes I feel a complete bitch when I can't even muster up a smile for him!!! When you feel so rubbish its hard to smile!!xx
Comfort in sound it's all around, ease back the strain, come heal your pain.
Leannellie
UKFM Member

Postby jackiecarr » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:43 pm

It is so hard to snap out of mood swings. My hubby has an awful time when I am low and I find little things to pick on him. Now I just go lie down with my tape of relaxing music and try to meditate. Sometimes it helps sometimes it does not. I am just so grateful I have such an understanding hubby. I even want to end it when I am low so he puts my meds away. Hope you can find some release and I am sending healing and gentle hugs. Us Fibro sufferers have to stick together xx
jackiecarr
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ashton » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:47 pm

I'm sorry you are feeling so low.recon it's ok to have low times you are only human and you have a lot going on.be kind to yourself.sending you very gentle hugs.and remember tomorrow is a new and hopefully better day :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Ashton
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:50 pm

You two ladies are lucky, i have no support and am down in dumps all the time, due to fibro and others. I just keep trying to be happy.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Ashton » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi garyl.you have our support :-D
Have you a support group near you ?
I'm just about to join .
Recon we all need someone to talk to and we are all here to support each other so please don't feel alone
Ashton
UKFM Member

Postby PhoebeCat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Garyl wrote:You two ladies are lucky, i have no support and am down in dumps all the time, due to fibro and others. I just keep trying to be happy.

Same here. Its hard when you are on your own, with no help or support from anyone. I end up sitting in silence for what seems like ages, then I have to force myself at some point to get a drink or something to eat. I can go days without seeing anyone or speaking to anyone. I have very dark days and really wish there was a way out of it. Its very hard to snap out of it.
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:37 pm

It's difficult to just snap out of feeling so low as quite often the trip down there has been a slow and steady one, with you only realising where you have got to when you're closer to the bottom than the top.

There are some who find that by acting as if they are happier, it can have the same effect on their actual mood, but it doesn't work for everyone :( :( :( :( :(

Sometimes a little additional help is needed to start climbing back up again, be it meds, talking therapies or a bit of both. Also looking for the little positives around you can help as sometimes the smallest things can really give you a lift.

There is usually someone not too far away on here as well :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: I know for some posting on here is the only outlet they have. So for the times when it feels like someone is slipping too far down into the abyss, we keep a rope over in the corner that we lower down to them so they can start that climb back up to where things are a little brighter. There's a feather boa tied to the end of the rope as well, so when it reaches down to whoever needs it, it will tickle so they know that it's there to help them :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Picklepudding....I am so sorry you are feeling so sad. It would be great if we had a magic wand and could just wave it and either our mood would change or the rest of the world would. Sadly, no such wand exists.

Is there something else going on at the moment besides the fibro? When was the last time you saw your GP? Maybe your Dr can give you antidepressants, or if you take them already you may need to change them.

Those of us who have fibro or any chronic condition have times when we reach such a low as you are in. In a way this is normal but it shouldn't have to continue forever. The longer it continues the harder to climb out. It is easy for me to say to you, look for something to get your mind off the pain or just put up with it. It just doesn't work that way so easily, it can help.

Pickle, over the 24 years of dealing with this and the depression I have learned that I have no control over when I am going to hurt or get depressed. I do however try to say to myself, the fibro is not going to ruin my life. I think of something I enjoy, for me it has to be gardening or going for a walk. Now there are days I think I can't do much of anything but I set out and try. Sometimes it is a walk to the end of the driveway, others a good walk about the village. I have really started to take a deeper interest in things. The birds seem louder and more plentiful. There are my favourites that I listen for or head out in their direction. I notice the flowers in my garden. Watch as petals open or bees taking the nectar. The point is try to find something and look at it differently. Look at it, think how can I see and enjoy it. Your something could be like mine. You could have your own maybe reading, knitting, talking to a friend. Whatever it is put your all into it, really listen, watch and take note. I find that my mind is full and it doesn't let fibro rule.

Yes the pain etc. is still there but fibro is not going to control me. He can have his bit, but not all of me. I am not fibro. You are not defined by it.

I have been where you are, many times, years ago. I was suicidal at one point but I decided that Fibro was not going to take my life. I decided that if I was going to live a painfully long life, as one of my Dr's so nicely told me I was, LOL (he has fibro) , I decided I was going to make the rules. Yes, ok, fibro's job is to make me suffer, to try to posses my life, to make me depressed. Fine, but I was going to tell fibro, enough is enough, that's all you get.

Picklepudding, go and talk to your Dr. he will be able to help or suggest someone who can. Keep listening to and loving that hubby of yours, you are in this together. He will be hurting ( that is another book). Help yourself by putting yourself first.
Lots of hugs and understanding are sent to you.

Sorry about going on so long. That is one of my coping tools, LOL
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Picklepudding » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:35 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. You are all so lovely and understanding!

I think I do need a focus or at least something to look forward to. I've only been feeling like this for a couple of days so hopefully it's just a temporary thing. It was triggered by the shopping trip on Saturday when I realised that I can't do things that other people take for granted. It made me feel old and useless (I'm only 38 so should be in my prime!). And when my husband helpfully suggested that maybe I should buy a walking stick for the next time we go on holiday, it just bought it home to me that I can't lead a fully normal life. Coming down the stairs in the morning feels like descending a mountain. Everything hurts and my legs feel like lead. A short shopping trip leaves me feeling like I've run a marathon.

Until now, I think I'd been in denial...you may recall my 'I don't think I've actually got Fibro' post, and I genuinely thought it was a mistake. Even now, I wonder if there's something more serious going on, and I have to admit that gives me a lot of sleepless nights. Last week I had an awful kidney infection - I narrowly missed hospitalisation. My mum has complete kidney failure and has dialysis 3 times a week so now I'm worried that I too have a kidney problem. I don't, it was just a kidney infection and lots of people get them, and maybe the infection is the reason that the shopping trip was so hard - I only finished my antibiotics on Saturday. In fact, I hadn't considered that until now. The truth is, I've become a massive hypochondriac, I'm sure!

Anyway, it really helps to have all of you to talk to - people who really, truly understand. My family are really great, but they just don't understand. My husband is brilliant, but he doesn't get why I sometimes just have to sit on the sofa whilst he's hoovering round me - my god that makes me feel guilty.

Thanks again for your replies. They really help xxx
Last edited by Picklepudding on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:43 pm

You can lead a fully normal life.......you just do things differently to others.

Your normal life is still there, you will find it.

Don't feel guilty, you have no reason to.

I am glad to hear in your words that you are starting to feel a bit better.

Keep it up! Lorraine
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Just dont be so hard on yourself and eventually your mood will lift especially if you have such a lovely OH :-D :-D :-D :-D its easy to start slapping yourself down because of feeling low and it wont help, keep telling yourself it will pass and look for that focus.

Sending some gentle :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: to help till you feel better :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia