Can anyone help with this one

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Can anyone help with this one

Postby Diane64 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi there, i regularly do high impact work outs, about 2/3 classes a week, last friday i done a class but my calfs have been in agony since and can hardly walk, the pain feels like ive been a complete newbie to these excercises.

I thought that if you were kinda used to excersising regularly this pain would not occur, is it now a case that due to fibro my muscles become too fatigued and pain will now be a regular thing? im a bit scared now, but cannot think of anything worse to give up my classes, covered lower legs with ibrufen gel this morning, still in agony!! feeling sad :(
Diane64
UKFM Member

Re: Can anyone help with this one

Postby whoami » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Don't give up your classes, just cut back on the intensity of them. Listen to your body. Doing what you are is great but don't overdo and irritate.

My legs really hurt at times and the only over the counter thing that helps is ...Arnica Gel. It really does work for me
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Johafa » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi,

I was told to avoid any type of exercises that impacted the body. My GP and my consultant strongly suggested swimming, aqua running, walking or cycling. I swim and do aqua running. They do tire me out and I get some pain but I also realise that I am somewhat getting stronger. When I swim, I don't seem to get the dizzy spells I get when I walk. I have FM and chronic back pains.
Johafa
UKFM Member

Postby AJay71 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:57 pm

I used to do yoga and hill walking. Now I can barely stand on my own 2 feet for 10 minutes without being in excruciating pain. I have had fibro for 20 years. It definitely is a progressive condition.

I agree you need to listen to your body and keep up some exersise but not so much. I would be worried that I'd be hastening the worsening of my condition. But then that's just me and we are all different. I cannot go out now without my wheelchair and even than it takes me between 4 to 7 days to recover.

But at least I get out occasionally now, I spent most of last year in bed.
I'm only 42 and I sometimes feel like my life is over. Little things become big accomplishments now!
You just have to be thankful for what we can do and not dwell on what we used to be able to do.!

Gentle Hugs
AJay xXx
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe
AJay71
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Thanks for the replies, when spoke with my Gp re "am i doing myself any favours with what excersise i do" he advised me not to stop if i am managing them as i would find i would get to the stage of finding difficulty in doing every day things as would lose alot of muscle strength that i already built up from doing them regularly.

I do alot of cardio stuff basically to try and maintain my weight as can put on a stone at a blink of a cake! im not sure if gabapentin is causing the weight gain and on speaking to doctor about this he advised to just take my evening tabs so see if things improve with this, i hadvnt reduced them yet as with this pain im worried it will be even more painful without my usual dose.

Is fibro degenerative/progressive? i didnt think it was,i just made presumptions i would have good days and bad, maybe i need to rethink my whole routine but i will find that really stressful to stop and rethink of what i can do..very frustated today, but thanks for listening, replying or even taking time to read this..
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Keeping as active as possible is always a good thing to do, you just need to make sure you do the right sort of exercise/activity for how your body is. If it's too intense/high impact then bits of your body will start to let you know, and keep reminding you about it until you start doing something at a more manageable level.

What you have experienced with the feelings in your calves may be the start of your body telling you that what you're currently doing isn't quite suitable for you. Or it could just be a one~off due to not warming up quite as well as usual, or a new exercise being added to what you were doing, or the speed at which the class was done at being a bit faster than what you normally do it at.

If you just keep what has happened with how your calves were feeling in a corner of your mind, and see how things go over a few classes, it should give you a good idea if it was a one~off, or if it's the start of your body needing you to make some changes to what you are doing. Life with FM involves a lot of changes in all areas, but this doesn't mean that everything has to be stopped. Being mindful that changes and adaptations will need to be made at points along the way should help you keep going for a good while yet :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Fibro is not supposed to be either degenerative or progressive but a lot of members have found they have had a worsening of their symptoms over time and it seems to be the pain levels go up a notch with flares and dont come back down to the normal base levels if that makes sense.

Degeneration as such is not supposed to happen, as no 'real' damage is being done to the muscles, its the false signals being sent. That said when you cant use your muscles or exercise much then you will eventually lose muscle strength etc.

So in answer really I agree with the others and would say keep up the exercise as much as possible but maybe cut back on the high impact a bit
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Diane64 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks guys, dont think the class was any different to what normally do apart from maybe i didnt skive as much!! ive got Bokwa on Wednesday so will see how i get on with that and then if pain continues may look at alternatives, but yea i will keep going with something, just difficult to think my body might not tolerate things i am so used to doing and had felt alot better when started on the meds i now have taken for over a year..

Im no spring chicken (49) but have been doing all this stuff for years, still some life in me yet for whatever i may chose to do though just maybe alot gentler..just feeling total blah today..and old!!!
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Diane64 wrote: just difficult to think my body might not tolerate things i am so used to doing and had felt alot better when started on the meds i now have taken for over a year..

Im no spring chicken (49) but have been doing all this stuff for years, still some life in me yet for whatever i may chose to do though just maybe alot gentler..just feeling total blah today..and old!!!

:welcome: to the feeling totally blah club, surprised I didn't see you as I've been there as well today :lol: :lol: :lol: The combination of no sleep for the past few nights and a doglet with a pawly leggie also developing a squitty bumbum shoved me right in there without any warning :bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :bricks:

With you saying you have been on your current meds for over a year, have you had them reviewed recently??? Just wondering as sometimes a bit of a twiddle and tweak around with dosages can make a difference. Might be another thing to consider to see if it will help with continuing your classes.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Diane64 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Ooooh Fluppypuffy hope its the dog with the dodgy belly and not you!! lol..was at the docs last week with a chest infection and only just discussed the gabapentin as thinking its making me gain weight... im on setraline 100mg, valsartin, gabapentin 300mg x2...alos taking omega 3, vitamin d, peppermint oil, magnesium and star flower oil...

Will see how i get on with next class and if same occurs will go back to docs for a review.. thanks tho..
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby lou2128 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi Diane,

I had the same pain when I started doing aerobics classes regular when I was in my 20's and I got told they were shin splints and to by a good pair of supporting aerobics shoes which I did and the pain disappeared. I always wore Reebok aerobic trainers and I carried on doing aerobics at high impact for over 20 years and never had the same problem with shin splints again as long as I had good trainers but I still remember the agonising pain they caused.

Hope this helps

Regards
Lou x
lou2128
UKFM Newbie

Postby Diane64 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:25 pm

I thought shin splint pain was to the front and sides of lower legs?..its my calves from ankle to behind knee's, it is not so bad today, still very tender but no where as sore as sat, sun and Monday.

Think you are totally right Lou about needing better trainers and will be looking for a good pair over the next couple of days, I had said a few weeks ago when out running my feet were hurting but never got round to it, so yea thank you for that advise..Take care..x
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi Diane

I get that exact same pain in the exact same place, only difference is I don't do half the exercise you do lol just being walked by the doglet every day is all I can manage.

I find it's often just my left calf that can be really bad and tender when I touch it. I have always suffered with the pain in my legs since having FM but a few months back my calves really started to get worse. I saw my GP who checked me over and said there was nothing obvious and put it down to FM.

I tend to rest my lower legs elevated on some cushions when I am home resting as that helps ease the building pressure type feeling I get (not sure if you get this too?) I also use those tubigrip support bandages during the day and I swear by arnica cream gently massaged in.

I also alternate between ice packs (mainly in the summer lol) and hot water bottles in the winter.

I used to work out and do a lot of running at the gym in my healthy days and I had shin splints a few times and that was at the front of my legs. This was down to not wearing the right trainers too so I changed those to proper running ones with all the right support and the shin splints stopped. They are a bit more expensive but totally worth it and mine lasted years.

Hope that helps a bit Diane.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Diane64 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:38 am

Any advise helps Lou and thank you, I also get achy sore legs all over, similar to toothache I think!! that im putting down to the fibro and I know im not going to be exactly pain free but calves were mega painful..

Going to have a look at trainers today and hope for the best that it resolves it a bit at least.. :-D
Diane64
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia