Monday

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Monday

Postby Eris » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Got diagnosed last Monday. Not a great shock as a few of my friends have it and one in particular was insisting I had it. Just wondering what anyone's experiance with Amitriptyline is. I've only taken it for two days but I felt miserable on saturday and quite manic when I woke up Sunday. Phoned NHS direct eventually got a doctor, but all they kept asking was am I going to hurt myself or others? Which was no. They didn't seem to care that I felt bad taking this stuff or that it wasn't helping the pain. they told me to take more. They also said I mustn't think too much. If I think too much the pills won't work.
Eris
UKFM Newbie

Re: Monday

Postby Garyl » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Amitriptyline made me feel paranoid and suicidal, so refuse them. At present i have pain killers 3 times during day and at night before bed take 2 paracetmol 500 mg and 2 dihyrocodine tablets, but wake at 3 am in pain .
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Denbev » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:23 pm

hi ive been on amitryptaline for years+find its the best thing that helps me sleep+control the pain but the downside to it is getting up the next morning+having a dry mouth+feeling very groggy for a few hours but try taking it earlier in the night it takes a while to get into your system+for you to get used to.the problem i have is finding a painkiller that works for me in the day because im fed up with been in constant pain.Good Luck :-D
Denbev
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:24 pm

The effects can build up so if you are feeling bad go back to see your doc asap. It wont help with the pain straight away it needs to build up in your system.

Maybe you are thinking too much, which of us isnt guilty of that one time or another and especially just after diagnosis. Get your own GP's advice as they know you best
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Auds » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:25 pm

I was prescribed Amitryptiline 3 years ago for insomnia. They definitely help with my sleep and I dont have any problem after-effects. I would be surprised if they affected you as quickly but we are all different. I am currently on Dypracet 3 x daily for pain and although they don't eliminate my pain completely they are the most effective I have had.
Auds
UKFM Newbie

Postby Eris » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:30 pm

I don't have the pain all the time, at least, not the really bad pain I'm experiancing at the moment. I think this is what my friend describes as a flare up. It happens every three years and lasts a couple or so months. So I know it's going away soon as it has lasted about three with last month being the agonising bit. I'm still going to get the migraines, fatigue, feeling distubed by loud noises and bright lights thing, and stiffness and achiness as a general thing but I don't worry so much about that as I'm used to it. Also I don't have a problem with going to sleep I just have a problem with waking up contantly because of the pain. I go back to sleep but because the sleep is disturbed it is not restful. I know how anti-depressnts work which is one of the reasons I don't like them. You can't just stop taking them if you feel better. Also, when I was in my last teens early twenties they were prescribe because of depression and made everything infinately worse. Took me years to get over the help I sopposedly got from them.

And another thing: I can't believe I spelt Monday wrong!
Eris
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Eris wrote:And another thing: I can't believe I spelt Monday wrong!

I've changed the topic title so that it's spelt right now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We all make silly typos, so don't worry about it on here, somehow we still manage to know what is being said :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

:welcome: to our little sanctuary Eris :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Amitriptyline is a med that can be helpful with managing the pain and sleep issues of conditions like FM, it itends to be one of the first ones tried when you're told you have FM. As you're already aware, it's an anti~d, one of the older style ones that, at much lower dosages than when being used for depression, has been found to be beneficial.

Like most things related to managing FM, for some it makes a huge difference, whilst for others it is completely useless or unsuitable. With you saying
Eris wrote:I know how anti-depressnts work which is one of the reasons I don't like them. You can't just stop taking them if you feel better. Also, when I was in my last teens early twenties they were prescribe because of depression and made everything infinately worse. Took me years to get over the help I sopposedly got from them.

You'll probably already know that to become fully effective, they need time to build up in your system, usually around a month. and that the symptoms you experienced over the weekend may well have been side effects which will probably start to ease back if you carry on with taking them.

A lot of the meds used for FM management cannot be just stopped, with a gradual reduction in dosage being needed to hopefully minimise any withdrawal effects that might come up.

The lack of restful sleep is related to FM, as well as it being disrupted and disturbed due to pain levels etc, it is also thought that when we do sleep, we don't reach the Stage 4, deep restorative sleep.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Eris » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:31 am

Yeah, I'm dyslexic, I'm also diabetic (so used to living with chronic condition and the stages of acceptance. I'm in the I know I have it but refuse to mention it's name bit), and depression and anxiety. At least I've started getting things that don't begin with D. The anxiety is actually the worst one of the lot which is why I really don't want to take the amitriptyline even if it will work better in the long term. I think I'm better off with pain killers to get me over the bad patch. I have been aware for a long time that deep sleep is a bit of a problem for me, but when the pain is marginal it is okay. I really don't like anything that affects my mood or usual feelings. Even if I have really bad ones I prefer to cope until they pass, because everything passes eventually. One of the reasons I don't do drugs leagal or street. They tend to over take my natural state of being. I'm too sensitive to them and they over power me. I think I need to go back to my doctor and see if there are less invasive forms of treatment.
Eris
UKFM Newbie

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:09 am

hi hunnie. im on it to let me tell u this im dislexic to :-) i also suffer from very very bad anxiety.it lead me to not even try some pain killers for 3 years . in the end the pain was so bad i had to give in, guess what they helped ,i think maybe your anxiety is maybe making u think its the new pills .if anything there make u sleepy.i do think its your anxiety making u feel bad .only two day wont of made any diffrence yet ,telling u not to think it like telling u no0t to breath .i can only say your not alone and with fibro u really do need some meds to help u cope xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia