Shoulders and arms giving me trouble

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Shoulders and arms giving me trouble

Postby Karou » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I've had this pain for a few weeks now. Only noticed it at night and when I first woke up but now it's always there.

The area is very close to the shoulders. Imagine them hanging relaxed at your side, it's right at the top and directly under the round part where the joint is. So I'm guessing it's muscular but not sure. I can't lift my arms properly, hurts like crazy to get dressed or wash my hair and take a shower.

It does remind me a bit of my hips, I keep getting tendonitis, but I also get more shooting pains down my arms and hands and I can't put my arms under my pillow when sleeping on my side or belly anymore. Which means I'm now fighting to find a good position as I can't sleep on my back. Makes me feel very sick when I lay on the back of my head.

So now I sleep on my side, one pillow between legs, another pillow turned so it supports head, neck and part of back so I don't roll over, and my arms are stretched out straight and away from me. Yeah....looks quite weird. :dunno: Imagine turning over lol Gotta move the whole mountain of pillows.

I've also noticed that my wrists crackle and pop more and my fingers feel very sore and stiff in the morning. Anyone else? Would be grateful for any advice or thought on this.

Gentle hugs,

Karou
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Shoulders and arms giving me trouble

Postby jools1903 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi Karou,

This is where I get most of my pain too :( I can lie on my back and fall asleep (if I'm lucky!) but find it so painful to lie on my left shoulder. I find the pain awful when I try to put on/take off a top or coat and can no longer do up my bra without being in agony - going to have to go for a front opening one. I have the same problem with my wrists and hands/fingers too :( :( :(
jools1903
UKFM Member

Postby tracy dawn 75 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi,I also have this problem there's days when I have to lift my right arm its worse as we get into the evening,I also have carple tunnel syndrome in both hands so I completely understand where your coming from my hands are so swollen and stiff first thing in a morning its a couple of hours before there remotely normal,I don't get any where with the doctors they just keep throwing different meds at me, im so frustrated ive gone back to work and im finding it very hard but then saying that im not giving up,I hope this helps my advice would be to rest when you need to and listen to your body its hard going :-D
tracy dawn 75
UKFM Newbie

Postby hjlinton » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi. I have had this problem with pain in shoulder s down to hands and fingers.
Doctor just gave me meds but I saw a pair of thermal arm warmers in betterware catalogue and they are amazing.
They look a bit strange but the heat seems to travel up to my shoulder and really helps the pain. I cant say takes the pain
away but definitely takes the edge off and allows me to do more than without. I wear the all the time even in bed.
Hope this helps and would love to know if they help anyone else xx
hjlinton
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Oh yes I know how the bra problem feels. Was happy to wear a soft support one because of rib pain only to have my body throwing another problem at me. Can't win, can we? :-|

Tracy have you tried using wrist braces/support over night? They help with the pain I get from carpal tunnel but sadly not enough to help with my other aches.

Strange, before Fibro I thought pain is pain, it hurts and that was that. Now I know that yes, it all hurts, but there's different types of hurting. Like different shades of pink....light pink, neon pink, baby pink, etc. Hope I'm making sense here.

hjlinton, are these like leg warmers but for the arms? Do you wear them on your upper or lower arms? They certainly sound interesting as I always feel cold but sometimes a cardigan is too much and makes my body turn on the internal furnace.

Gentle :hugs: :grouphug: to you all

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby clubsound4 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:22 am

hI, I ve had pain in my right shoulder for just over 2 years and only been diagnosed with fibro for 6 months,,Its taken me that long to convince my GP to do something so Ive been for xrays which has discovered arthritis and Im probably getting a cortisone injection on top,,the pain is just as described but I have a lot of what I can only describe as 'cracking' especially when I first get into bed,,nothing helps the pain, Im on Gabepentin,tramadol 600mg daily and paracetamol,,feel like chopping me arm off :( soft hugs everyone
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:41 am

hi clubsound,

Sorry to hear that your painkillers aren't working. I'm on tramadol as well and only recenty found out they're better if taken with paracetamol and ibuprofen. Before that I was on cocodamol but was worried about addiction and they also make my IBS worse.

Arthritis ... Never thought of that. A few weeks ago I was told I have a damaged disc, slipped vertebra and wear and tear (which seems to be the same as arthritis according to certain websites) in my spine.

Seems that once you're diagnosed with Fibro it's even harder to get them to investigate.

This cracking, does it happen when you lean on the arm? It does for me. Feels strange, a bit like my joint is about to pop out but not exactly. Foggy brain, can't think of any other way to say it right now, sorry.

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby RachelRyan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:13 pm

I've got adhesive capsulitis (aka' frozen shoulder in both shoulders; it is agonising and painkillers won't touch it. I'd recommend you see your GP about having Cortisone injections. I've had one side done and there has been improvement in mobility, it's still painful but not as horrendous as before. I wasn't able to sleep with the pain so I bought a memory foam mattress topper; it was the first night I managed to sleep; well worth investing in one to alleviate pressure. Shoulder stretching and strengthening is also important, my osteopath gave me an exercise band to work with.
RachelRyan
UKFM Newbie

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:33 am

hi sugar well i get very painful fingers they hurt worsed in the morning but some days its all day they puff up also,i get very painful arms and elbows. i got a cold atm so everything hurts more xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:45 pm

Thanks, RachelRyan, I have to say my shoulders are not as strong as they used to be. Art 19 I worked for a company that makes chocolate, I was in agony the first few weeks because of the very hard physical work but then I noticed how toned m arms looked. No wonder, I was lifting hundreds of 10kg boxes with chocolate every day. (It just occurred to me that I wasn't lifting the proper way because there was no time. Now I'm wondering if that's what damaged my spine :( )
Who would've thought you can use chocolate to get fit... :mrgreen:
I have what was given to me as resistance band, it's a rubbery thing, quite long and stretchy. Might be the same thing? I just don't use it a lot due to pain and trouble holding it. Will talk to my GP about injections, it helps to have suggestions I've noticed. They're more likely to do something if I don't leave it all up to them.

Aww sending you lots of :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :cup1: :cup1: :cup1: :cup1: :cup1: [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] and a :cat2: to give a purrrrrfect paw massage, painprincess.
Wonder if it's connected and arms hurt because my hands hurt. My hands are slightly swollen in the morning, I can't get any ring on lol After washing my face with warm water at least the stiffness goes away a bit. Hope your cold goes away soon.

I've read somewhere that all these could be early warning signs of arthritis but my last blood tests didn't show any inflammation. Not sure if this has to be the case. Might have to ask them for help with this. Now if I can find the post about some kind of gloves that were mentioned here not too long ago I might even try these.

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:02 am

Hi... I had shoulder pain for a long time, I used to get sport therapy massages on it, tried ibrufen gel, painkillers, nothing worked, only one doctor at my practise offered cortisone injections and have to say it was the best thing I ever had, ive had 2 in the same shoulder over the last 2 years.

There is still some pain and a lot of grinding in the joint but no where near as bad without the injection, if it gets too painful again I will def be requesting another injection, I don't see the point of suffering when this is available and one less tablet to take on top of loads I already take... Di :-)
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:02 pm

I'd like to join the troublesome arms clan please :-D :-D :-D With how the ones currently attached to me feel, I'm not even sure if they actually belong to me. They feel ssooooooo heavy, lifting them above my head, even for a matter of seconds is nigh on impossible at the moment.

If anyone else finds that their arms feel as if they could belong to someone else, maybe we can swap things around to try and get our own limbs back :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby ouchiemama » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Oh I hear you all!! My shoulder, arm & hand are so sore, aching, shooting, pins n needles, numbness!! Its my right side thats worse as I use it all the time, try switching to my left but its rubbish!!

I had physio for it, it didnt work though! She told me I had irritated nerves in my neck...dunno if it is that or just part of fibro, had the shoulder problems for..well as long as i can remember!!!My hand is also swollen pretty much constantly! Im the same brushing hair, teeth etc really aches! :yikes:

Sorry no help but I can sympathise!! :grouphug: xxx
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:23 pm

Lol wanna try if the ones I have here fit better FluppyPuffy? :squirrel_nut: :squirrel_nut:

Mine feel heavy too ... Well, now they do. This morning I wasn't sure if I still had arms. Could see there was something attached to me but felt nothing. :-|

Maybe we could start a self help group? How to learn doing things with your feet when the arms don't feel like doing it - and vice versa. If we suddenly see lots of people walking on their hands we know why. :crazy:

Had Mr tens attached nearly all day. Seems to help, I used different modes and once every 1 - 2 hours. Gonna get some supporting gloves to see if it helps but not sure which ones. I saw rheumatism and arthritis...my brain couldn't work out what's best. Any suggestions please? :-)

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Karou wrote:Lol wanna try if the ones I have here fit better FluppyPuffy? :squirrel_nut: :squirrel_nut:

I'll give them a go, anything has got to feel better than the things that attached to me at the moment :shock: :shock: :shock:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia