Its all in the mind

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Its all in the mind

Postby migrembe » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:48 am

My daughter is in her third year of a psychology degree and i would say the one daughter out of four children that actually tries to understand. For her dissertation she is focusing on chronic pain, more about that later, however she sent me the following article -

"Chronic pain is very common in all European countries, with musculoskeletal problems predominating. About 1% of the adult population develops a syndrome of chronic muscle pain, fibromyalgia (FMS), characterized by multiple tender points, back or neck pain, and a number of associated problems from other organs, including a high frequency of fatigue. Evidence points to central sensitization as an important neurophysiological aberration in the development of FMS. Importantly, these neurological changes may result from inadequately treated chronic focal pain problems such as osteoarthritis or myofascial pain.

It is important for health professionals to be aware of this syndrome and to diagnose the patients to avoid a steady increase in diagnostic tests. On the other hand, patients with chronic widespread pain have an increased risk of developing malignancies, and new or changed symptoms should be diagnosed even in FMS. In rheumatology practice it is especially important to be aware of the existence of FMS in association with immune inflammatory diseases, most commonly lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Differential diagnoses are other causes of chronic pain, e.g. thyroid disease.

The costs of this syndrome are substantial due to loss of working capability and direct expenses of medication and health-system usage. Fibromyalgia patients need recognition of their pain syndrome if they are to comply with treatment. Lack of empathy and understanding by healthcare professionals often leads to patient frustration and inappropriate illness behavior, often associated with some exaggeration of symptoms in an effort to gain some legitimacy for their problem. FMS is multifaceted, and treatment consists of both medical interventions, with emphasis on agents acting on the central nervous system, and physical exercises."

Two points i have drawn from this lot is that the 'focal pain' is inadequately treated in the beginning and there is a lack of 'empathy and understanding by healthcare professionals (which) often lead to patient frustration and inappropriate illness behaviour, often associated with some exaggeration of symptoms in an effort to gain some legitimacy for their problem.'

I believe my focal point as they call it to be my depression. Depression again cannot be seen and we all have to pretend that it doesn't exist. However after 30+ years of suffering craziness it is now to late to cure (for want of a better word) the depression and therefore gain legitimacy of 'i am sick, see me, see my sickness'. Now i have FMS the pain and exhaustion is here to stay and treating the depression, which they are doing, or the FMS will not change that.

Let me know what you think.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Re: Its all in the mind

Postby denys » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Seems a legitimate theory, I have read similar things and so it would seem there is understanding out there concerning this condition. It does cost the NHS a substantial amount to even get to a diagnosis and so if they could devise a more workable set of tools to do this without causing misdiagnosis I think we would all be happier.

I started with pain in my shoulder and neck, underwent physio which didnt work and made things worse, time went on without any improvement, found I had bulging discs in my neck which apparently shouldnt have caused the severity of pain I was feeling and I slowly started to get other more widespread pains, finally diagnosed with FM so perhaps that was the start of mine
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Tunes » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Good to see a possitive on fm. There is hope out there after all. And i agree with alot that was said there. Would be good to see this kind of thing more often. Thankyou for posting.
Tunes
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Interesting read, esp the central sensitization idea. There are a few suggestions that central sensitization could also be behind things such as sensitivities to lights, smells and noises, associations with cognitive impairment, such as poor concentration and poor short-term memory, and may even correspond with increased levels of emotional distress, particularly anxiety.

Working on the idea that there is a "focal point" then mine is undoubtedly the neck injury I suffered in a car accident. Over the years, esp before FM was dx'd, any new symptom I experienced, the first thing I was asked always related to it originating from that injury and subsequent surgery.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby tonydin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:50 am

hello all thought id pop back agian ( been trying to pretend i dont have any thing wrong but its not working :-D :-D :-D )

i agree 100% withthat artical id like to know who weote it ... like denys i started with low backpain from damaged discs 40 years ago and progressed from there , pain was untreted they did ofere a op but i declined as i woud have had to stop my job

so her i am 40 years on still lifting heavey tyres but with all the widespred joys of fm on top of thr orignal pain site

that thery i would say is spot on :roll:

tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:23 pm

Tony, You lift tyres? Are you mad and are you sure you have FMS as i problems lifting the cat and he's only lifting :crazy:
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:19 pm

thigs can only hurt so much after that you can do what you like , its only the drugs that let me do it though , :roll:

try lifting the cat a bit more each day :-D :-D :-D

seriosely if the fm dx was wrong i should be dead by now???

tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:19 am

All i can is good luck to you are tour tyres :-D
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby cocobella » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:09 am

This is a really interesting read and I completely agree with the 'focal' point aspect. I have said for years that most people with fibromyalgia don't 'just' have fibromyalgia. There are usually other medical conditions coexisting with FMS. I was diagnosed at the beginning of this year, after 3 years of chronic fatigue, depression(for no reason) and pain. I kept being told it was 'just' fibromyalgia and nothing else. Turns out I had a symptomatic multi-nodular goiter (big swollen, fast growing thyroid) with follicular cancer cells inside it. This thing had been approximately growing for about 3 years and my doctor kept saying it was benign. Until I ended up with severe hypothyroidism. It was all picked up after this. Now the rheumy, the endocrinologist and my GP have all said my thyroid problem 'triggered' the fibromyalgia!! Which I KNEW all along haha.

Most of the people I have met who have fibromyalgia all have a primary or secondary condition to it. The most common being arthritis (of all types). Or, they have had maybe a traumatic event - i.e. car crash etc. I also know someone who had a really horrendous labour and suffered from fibromyalgia ever since.

Really like this article and would love to know who had written it?

Coco x
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:22 am

I have suffered with depression since i was a teenager but no one noticed accept my sister who kept me going. Children didn't have depression 35 years ago, in fact just about nobody had depression. They say its a modern disease, maybe or maybe they were too blind to see it any earlier. I also have osteoarthritis again which was ignored but then treated very conservatively. People are getting sick from Fibro because they have been ignored too long and the body and mind have just had enough.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:30 am

Sorry to be awkward, but I seem to be an exception - no other conditions alongside FM and an incidence of stress/anxiety/depression caused by work which is long since over and done with. I can trace my FM back to a bout of flu about 8 or 9 years ago.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby cocobella » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:49 pm

haha SchroedingersCat, it seems you are not an exception as you traced it back to a flu. :lol: Some people had it also triggered by glandular fever (epstein barr virus).
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:00 pm

Migrembe seemed to be saying that people with FM have conditions, mental health problems or trauma that have not been treated long-term, leading to the development of FM. This is not true in my case, hence my comments. I had a bout of flu, followed by a bout of PVFS which was investigated, then an appalling period working for a soul-crushing bully in a high pressure job resulted in time off sick with stress and anxiety. Around the same time as this, the pain that developed into FM began with a mysterious knee problem. At no point have I been ignored by doctors, in fact I have nothing but praise for the NHS for their support, care and the treatment I received. Similarly I have had nothing but support from partner, family, friends and employers (AFTER I got away from the bully who made me ill, obviously). This is why I felt I don't exactly fit the pattern as mentioned by both Migrembe and yourself, Coco.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:24 pm

i think long term , chrocic pain as in OA , which even if not ignored has no real treatment that can remove its pain . Or depression or stress and anxity can all alter the way the brian works and give us the feelings of pain , when there is no pathalogical cause to Be found which is in a nutshell fibro
there appere to be many differrant triggers for the condition
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia