fibromyalgia/cronic pain.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

fibromyalgia/cronic pain.

Postby armfaw » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:22 pm

is it the same thing?
seen the rheumatologist for the first time Wednesday . she said I have cronic pain, I asked if its fibro she said kind of. I reacted to most pressure points, told her I get forgetfull dizziness and off balance, she said its nothing to do with fibro, and I should get my ears tested. come out of there still not knowing whats wrong with me,. she did bloods and x-rays. wants me on gabapentin, but I am worried about side affects, anyone on them, tell me about them please. also wants to try me on naproxen .
armfaw
UKFM Member

Re: fibromyalgia/cronic pain.

Postby Johafa » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:45 pm

Hello Armfaw, I've been on Gabapentin for nearly 2 years now and I didn't get any side effects. My fibromyalgia comes from chronic pains. They are 2 different problems. At least, that's what I was told by my GP and neurologist when I saw them. I do have similar symptoms as you regarding dizziness and such. Part is from FMS and the other part can be due to our ears. I have an appointment in ENT shortly to find out if they are related or not. With all that, I also have a noise intolerence and lots of panic attacks from that. Do you have that problem too?
Johafa
UKFM Member

Postby armfaw » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Johafa wrote:Hello Armfaw, I've been on Gabapentin for nearly 2 years now and I didn't get any side effects. My fibromyalgia comes from chronic pains. They are 2 different problems. At least, that's what I was told by my GP and neurologist when I saw them. I do have similar symptoms as you regarding dizziness and such. Part is from FMS and the other part can be due to our ears. I have an appointment in ENT shortly to find out if they are related or not. With all that, I also have a noise intolerence and lots of panic attacks from that. Do you have that problem too?

very sensitive hearing, don't like loud noises , or bright lights. I get lots of back neck arm leg pains. tiredness sleep all the time and still feel tired and she said I don't have cfs.i also have bad ibs, react to most foods.. even simple parasetamol. came out of there more confused. ..
armfaw
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi there, i do believe that chronic pain and fibro go together, for months i was in constant agony with pain all over as if someone had literally gave me a beating, it was even so painful if anyone touched or hugged me, i have been on gabapentin for approx 7 months and although still in pain on a daily basis it is no where near as bad prior to not taking them.

Also suffer brain fog, dizzyness and off balance (walking like im drunk) as well as being very clumsy, the list is endless with other things which is for me fibro related, i remember when first got diagnosed i said to the doctor "but i wont always have it will i" his reply was this is a chronic condition but it can be managed and to an extent i do manage albeit every day is different in regards to ailments and pain management.

Not sure if this helps as everyone is dfferent, but for me gabapentin has no real side effects and helps me cope in the day to day pain..
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:19 am

Your rheumatologist won't like this, but he/she don't know what there talking about. Having found out I had fibro, which I self diagnosed from reading and eliminating stuff myself on the Internet after doctors keep telling me I'd got depression, or anxiety, or vertigo, or just needed more sleep than others etc. my bloods were all ok n I had X-rays showing arthritis which explained most painful areas, 2 of which I had operated on, others inoperable. So I firstly decided I'd got chronic fatigue syndrome (CFs) and arthritis, But it was the tender spots that were found when having massages that put me onto the fibro link, cus fibro is said to be cfs without the tender spots, although with some pain sometimes.

Now some ppl who have fibro don't suffer much with the mental side, known as fibro fog, (bad memory, exhaustion, no concentration, insomnia, fatigue, over sleeping, etc) but they could have worse pain. I think most prob seem to get a bit of both, n sum suffer more with the fibro fog than the pain, but u always have a certain amount of both, even if only when u relapse, which is me in summer. Some don't relapse cus seem to be bad all the time with an exception of an odd good day, which is me in winter. So we all differ. Things not only alter due to the weather n the amount of sunlight u get, but by the amount of stress u r under. Stress makes me really bad with pain n fibro fog whatever time of year it is.

Chronic actually means long term, unlike, very painful, which I thought it meant. It isn't curable. It is said to b manageable by altering the needs u take till u find what concoctions best or u. It's normal to have two different types of anti depressant, which are used for anxiety, sleep and pain too. Most think u av them cus suicidal or generally need a lift. But it's not just that. Same goes for pain killers.

Every bodies symptoms are different even if on same meds as u. So it can be ages till u find what's good for u. We have to train ourselves into knowing when we have done enough, and rest if necessary. Or to make us take that little walk, cus those four walls are making us feel bad n fresh air n excersise is the right thing to do. Once u understand the illness n what u need to do and when, u r managing ur illness. Only then was I able to stop beating myself up cus I thought I was lazy n adding to my own misery.

The best ppl to talk to n take advise from r us sufferers. Fibro isn't understood by probably half the doctors. Some doctors still think there's no such thing. We beg to differ. Put fibromyalgia into your search engine, including face books search, n u will come up with so many different groups. Some r where it's readers just learn stuff, which is where I found most my info from, the others are chat groups, where I learnt other ppls experiences from.

If your still at the stage of shock, Where u can't believe u av got this horrible illness for life. It will stop being the main thing on your mind. It's horrible, it's painful, it rules your life, but when u accept it's not going to kill u, n u can still do some things u enjoy, despite having to give up on a lot u enjoyed doing, there are ppl worse off than us?

Getting those close to u to understand it, is a major problem. Get them to read the info, or keep telling them what uve learnt. It takes a lot of going into to for ppl to accept what u have. Especially if one day ur all dressed up n the joys of spring, then a day or two later u look awful n can't stop moaning. I think the best for me was when those who kept moaning I was doing it to myself actually started saying, how r u, do u need me to go to shop for u, or shall I bring u a takeaway etc. then the frustration of being in it alone, subsides.

So I'm sorry u have joined our gang, but we r all in this together n there for each other. I hope my post helps u somewhat, Wendy x
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:13 am

Armfaw.....Fibromyalgia and chronic pain are in effect the same thing. Chronic pain is one of the symptoms of fibro.

Chronic pain, is pain that has lasted more than 6 months. It's intensity and itinerary can vary amongst patients. Chronic pain can cause sleep disorders, depression, brain fog, memory issues, concentration problems and other symptoms that are shared with fibro.

One of the reasons /definitions of my illness that gave me a 100% disability was chronic pain. Fibromyalgia is a sub title of "chronic pain" title and viseversa.

So for a Dr to refer to someone suffering from fibro as having chronic pain he/she is perfectly correct.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby relf1960 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:45 pm

whoami wrote:Armfaw.....Fibromyalgia and chronic pain are in effect the same thing. Chronic pain is one of the symptoms of fibro.

Chronic pain, is pain that has lasted more than 6 months. It's intensity and itinerary can vary amongst patients. Chronic pain can cause sleep disorders, depression, brain fog, memory issues, concentration problems and other symptoms that are shared with fibro.

One of the reasons /definitions of my illness that gave me a 100% disability was chronic pain. Fibromyalgia is a sub title of "chronic pain" title and viseversa.

So for a Dr to refer to someone suffering from fibro as having chronic pain he/she is perfectly correct.

The doctor was wrong cus said her dizziness etc was nothing to do with fibro and she should get her ear checked. There are numerous illnesses that come with fibro, vertigo is common part n parcel of it. I've had it 3 times over last 2 years. 1 time prior to finding out I had FMs was really really bad. Arthritis n frozen shoulder, which I both have, again can be part n parcel of fibro, as can my aggrevaited bladder, etc etc. chronic pain is if u have had it for 3 months or longer, not 6, n u can have chronic pain without it being fibro related. U can also have chronic pain which is fibro (as in the muscles, tendons, cart ledges, known as soft tissues pain) and not get the fibro fog. But it's not fibro if u only get the fog n not the pain.

I'm not saying u can't get ear probs etc, separate to fibro, when u r a fm sufferer. What I'm saying is the doc was not correct saying that the dizziness etc was nothing to do with fm, when it's a well known symptom of it. U only need to google fm n see the long list of things that come along with it, that can also b a separate illness. But when your a fm sufferer, who get lots of illnesses off this list, it's very likely it's a fibro connected illness.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:50 pm

relf1960 wrote: chronic pain is if u have had it for 3 months or longer, not 6,

In the US, pain that lasts longer than 6 months is determined to be chronic pain. As whoami is in Canada, this 6 month period for it to be determined as chronic also applies. And depending on where you look for info on UK based sites, it quite often says that pain has to be present for 3~6 months for it to be deemed as chronic. And from what I have read and come across and been told over the 13+ years I've had FM, how whoami has described things tallies with what I have found out when looking into things for myself, as well as what I have been told/had explained to me over the years.

And whilst dizziness can be attributed to FM, there are cases where it is completely unrelated. I have constant dizziness, it has been with me since day 1 when symptoms started appearing. After undergoing test after test, being poked and prodded, twisted and manipulated, it was attributed to migraines. And whilst migraines can be associated with FM, mine came about separately after an accident whilst doing gymnastics at primary school, well well before I started to show any sort of symptoms or potential indicators of FM.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia