When is time to give up work?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: When is time to give up work?

Postby tonydin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:37 pm

i would keep going if you can ,,, befor long every one on any benifit will be forced in to comunity sevice , so may be better to learn to pace more, and do the job you know for a proper wage rather then working for benifits

however stress at work is the real reason most inclufing me have considered giveing up at one time . because stress and fm are a real no no

tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby binty » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Unfortunately, at the age of 39, I had to give up. I could not cope any longer with the pressure of getting up in the morning, showered, etc and to work for 8am for a 10 hour shift. Even driving caused me more pain. Then the stress and physical activity of the job. On driving home I would often cry the tears I had held in all day and when I got home I was just so exhausted. I had done the job since I left school. It was hard to get people to understand my daily struggles. Now I find life less stressful simply because my time is my own and if I'm having a bad day I don't have to hide. That's not to say that I don't miss my job or want to work ever again. I loved my job and leaving was the hardest decision I have ever made.
binty
UKFM Member

Postby caz82 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:14 am

I'm in a similar position myself the doc's have had me off work for 24 weeks now and my pain isn't improving I'm trying to keep active around the house but it hurts like hell to walk my knees are that painful my back has been in a major flare aswell to the point that the slightest touch hurts but I'm at the point where realistically I can't physically do my job even after my employer has made many adjustments for me I haven't come to this decision easily but I think your body screaming at you is hard to ignore only you can make that choice you just have to be honest with yourself and the answer will be easy
caz82
UKFM Newbie

Postby binty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:22 pm

caz82..... it's the best thing you can i think.... listen to your body... you are the only one who knows just how much it can tolerate....
giving up my job that absolutely loved nearly broke me :cry: i felt so useless, worthless, like i had lost my identity, i didn't want to have to claim benefits etc, but my body couldn't cope any longer and i was struggling more and more to hide the pain from colleagues....... u have to do what you feel is best for you xx
binty
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia