Aspertame and Fibromyalgia

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Aspertame and Fibromyalgia

Postby LoopyLou78 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:00 pm

I was just wondering if any of you had researched the link between the artificial sweetener called Aspertame and Fibromyalgia?
My friend just happened to mention it to me, and said that the side effects are all very similar to Fibromyalgia.
Due to me being a type 1 Diabetic, I have "thought" over the past years that I would be better off drinking these " Diet" drinks But mostly all of them contain this Aspertame. It is in many foods too such as yogurts, chewing gum and even vitamins.

After researching it online I was quite shocked to read how dangerous it is meant to be. And that many countries have banned it from food and drink.

I was also surprised to read how it has been linked to triggering illnesses such as Fibro and MS. I read a lot of people with Fibro had cut it totally out of their diet and had noticed a significant improvement with their symptoms of Fibro.

Having had drunk so much of it over the years I am wondering if there is truth in the research? So from today I have swapped my drinks for versions without the chemical poison in, and am checking food labels on everything I buy!! It was hard to find a drink without it in!!!!!!!!

I'm wondering if anyone else has cut this out of their diet and if so, have they noticed any improvement in their symptoms?
LoopyLou78
UKFM Member

Re: Aspertame and Fibromyalgia

Postby libbiek30 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:17 pm

I have tried but found it so difficult as you said it is in lots of the. The food standard agency says it's ok in small does, but I wish they would banned it :nono:
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby Auds » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:18 pm

I drink between 12-15 litres of diet pepsi per week and recently read a report about Aspertame which made me sit up and take notice. the side effects so resemble many of the symptoms I have that it is difficult not to make the connection. I am cutting down on my intake and as yet haven't noticed any difference but it certainly makes you wonder what on earth this poison actually is. Good luck and I hope you improve :-)
Auds
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:22 pm

This is something that comes up periodically and, just like all things related to FM, for some it makes a difference, whereas for others it does absolutely nothing.

When it does pop up, it tends to be after there has been some scaremongering relating to artificial sweetners etc so please try to keep your mind as open as you can when reading things like this.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LoopyLou78 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:38 pm

As I said it was just a friend mentioned it to me, I dont think it was through scaremongering as iv not read or seen any reports about it. But when I did my "own" research I was a bit taken aback by the information I read!
Iv'e since found that Asda do a nice "sugar free" and with no Aspertame in it " Tropical crush" fizzy and im changing over to that!!!

Same with the co-op's own apple and blackcurrent sugar free squash.( with no aspartame)!!!

Thanks I will let you know if it helps me! fingers crossed!!!
LoopyLou78
UKFM Member

Postby Foz » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Asda's own fizzy drinks like cherryade, orangeade, dr thunder (dr pepper wannabe), iron brew (another wannabe) and quite a few more satisfy the fizzy without aspartame and they are not diet drinks. after a while they taste like the real thing and better for us :)

Sainsbury's also do non diet fizzy drinks without aspartame.

happy drinking :crazy:
Foz
UKFM Member

Postby LoopyLou78 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks Foz :-) But being a Diabetic I need to find the low sugar or no sugar variety. But fear not!! Im going a hunting LOL!!!!
LoopyLou78
UKFM Member

Postby kat101 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:34 am

I wish they made diet drinks with stevia. It is safer then any of the other sugar subsitutes. I drink fizzy drinks to help my pain pills kick in faster but I don't need the calories or the aspertame. I will check out some of these you guys recommended. :-D
kat101
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia