Really?? All these pills? 0.0

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Really?? All these pills? 0.0

Postby LoopyLou78 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:06 am

After my first appointment at the pain clinic, ( I was diagnosed with fibro in may) I have come away with prescriptions for 30mg Codine/paracetomol 2, 3 times a day. Tramadol 50mg, 2, 6 to 8 times a day and Pregabalin 175mg a day.
I was just on the Tramadol before I went, but they don't do a lot for the pain, so this is why iv'e been given the extras.
I have never been one for taking a pill, even before I had Fibro, I would just rather suffer a headache. I am a little worried to start taking all these pills, but if the doctors think it will help my pain should I?

Does it seem a lot compared to what others are on? I guess I just want some reassurance from others that it is ok, and has it helped?
I tried Amitriptyline but it upset my stomach, so I know there could be side effects, I guess i'll just have to wait and see. But reading all the side effects of all the pills didn't do much to reassure me!!! It's silly, you take pills to control the pain, but you could end up with a heap of other stuff because of them!!! Grrrr....!!!

What to do?....:/
LoopyLou78
UKFM Member

Re: Really?? All these pills? 0.0

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:20 am

You're the only one who knows whether taking them is worth it, unfortunately. Me, I don't have any prescribed medication, but that's my choice.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby tracy dawn 75 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:31 am

Hi
I have had the same thoughts just recently I too take a lot especially first thing in the morning I too have wondered if its worth it but then after about an hour of taking them I can feel the benefits of taking them, if there doing the job then there definitely worth it and if not then go back to your gp until you get the right combination that is right for you,I hope you find this helpful I too was only recently diagnosed in march its been hard but I now feel like I'm getting some where at last x
tracy dawn 75
UKFM Newbie

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:55 am

i said the same thing a while ago now. but i cant move without them,i have two Tramadol and two paracetamol in the morning with a zantac and my anit depressent i then have 2 more trams and paracetamol in the afternoon, morning are worsted for me and if i didn't take them id not move.im still in pain and i still have that awful bloody ache .but i do worry about all the pains but i have a great dr i trust and he always says to me do u want to be out of pain or not. i have a young 16 month baby and i need to keep going so yes there worth it for me xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby ru.campbell » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:04 am

I find that nothing works in terms of pain killers. I've even been on diclofenac and its pointless.

I do believe anti depress pills relax and therefore help perceived pain but I'm a believer that this is a neurological illness (a messed up communication between brain and nervous systems causing false, but excruciating, pain signals) which means that opioids and other pain killers wouldn't work. You can't cure pain with opium based medicine if the pain isn't physically there--even if we can all feel it.

The best (and most painful, of course) solution is daily easy exercise. I know it makes us tired and it hurts but I find it does relieve the pain later in the day.

Earlier in the day I couldn't walk 100 feet whether I have pain killers or not.

Stay strong

R

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
ru.campbell
UKFM Member

Postby sapphirerose71 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:19 am

You should notice a real improvement with the pregabalin. when I was first given it the results were immediate but unfortunately tailed off after a few months. I now take 600mg per day. I sometimes feel as if they're not working but reducing the dose for a few days shows me just how much better I am when I do take them.
Tramadol works much better when taken with paracetamol but no painkiller works especially well with fibro but they can take the edge off and stop you caring about the pain quite so much. I don't think these should be taken religiously , every 4 or 6 hours as prescribed. I take them first thing to help with morning stiffness but after that I try not to take them unless my body tells me that I need them. I prefer to lie on my bed with hot water bottle if it helps rather than swallowing lots of painkillers. I've also started taking yoga classes recently and find that this helps with pain but I'm very lucky that my neighbour is a yoga instructor and gives me one to one, specially tailored sessions.

hugs
sapphirerose71
UKFM Member

Postby LoopyLou78 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Aww, thank you everyone for your comments. Iv'e said it before, but im so grateful that this site is here with support and advice from people who are all in the same boat.

Iv'e taken on board all your comments and have found them very helpful. I too thought about taking them when my body needs them rather than the every 3 to 4 hours as stated, and I have just started physio ( although very basic)!!! Like standing on 1 leg lol to help my balance, etc, and I do use my electric blanket as a pain relief too when it's raging.

Im hoping I feel an improvement with the new meds, Thank you again everyone, for your reassuring advice, hugs xxxxx
LoopyLou78
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:21 pm

I believe that it's the mind tricking the body into believing there is pain too, but to your mind the pain is real and so you may find that the pain killers work in the same way. I haven't found anything that is significantly better including exercise, but yet i can't stop the twitching so i can sleep unless i meditate at night.

I would also PPI from your GP (Protein pump inhibitor) such as lansoprazole or omeprazole. Good luck whatever you decide.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:48 pm

The only way you'll know for definite if these meds will make a difference to things is to give them a good go and see what happens. All meds come with a risk of side effects, even the things that can be bought otc. But just because it says that certain things may be experienced, it doesn't mean that they will affect you. The info in the leaflet that comes with each med is purely that, for info so that if you do experience something, you'll have an idea what it is any why it is happening. And quite often, anything that is experienced tends to start easing off after a week or so.

Wrt to taking things when it feels like your body needs it, whilst this approach tends to be OK with the likes of co~codamol, when it comes to Pregablin, that needs to be taken regularly to keep the levels of the med constant in your system. Also, it takes time for Pregablin to build up in your system, and the dose needs to be gradually increased for you to reach the necessary dose for you. And as time is needed for it to get into your body, it's not unusual to find that it can take a while before any benefits are felt, for some this can be about a month, whereas others have said it can take up to 3 months.

Ultimately only you can decide what to do about taking these different meds. For me, even tho they take the edge of things at best, I know from previous times when I haven't been on anything, that having that edge taken off things means I am able to do more than what I would be able to manage without them.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:51 pm

Loopylou...As others have said, only you will know if the pills are worth taking. However, you did go to the Dr's for help, they gave you something and the Dr would not have given you any pills if he didn't think that they would help.

As far as to the amount of what you take compared to others is really a mute question. You are you, nobody else. Your body is different, uniquely yours. You may need more or less or something completely different.

Loopyloo...when I started on this journey almost 25 years ago I was on a lot of pills. Naproxen, antidepressants, various things for pain including 10 oxycontin a day and I was getting blocks for pain also. Then I had pills for other illness in my body.

As I learned more about how my body reacted to pain, how to respect my body and listen to it, I have reduced pills for fibro tremendously. I now take an antidepressant and a very strong narcotic patch. I have been taking these same things and amounts for just about 8 years now.

I truly believe that if we listen to our bodies but push also to a point we hear enough, excercise as much as possible if it is a lot or just a small amount we can work with fibro and reduce a lot of meds.

These meds we are prescribed can actually make us feel worse in ways. The pain might be controlled but then other symptoms appear because of them. I was told by the pharmacist that the number one reason people were drowsy with fibro was due to over medication. They were taking either too strong or too many pills for pain and the body reacts drowsy because of it.

You will find a happy place where you can tolerate fibro. It won't be gone but you can reach a place where you can enjoy life differently.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Loopy

When I was first diagnosed I was put on that same cocktail of painkillers except the Pregablin (mine was Gabapentin) and while I ofund they helped take the edge off the pain and get me through there were times nothing would help the pain at all.

As with any meds there will be side effects and I ended up off the Gabapentin as the side effects really affected my daily life. Once I'd battled through these I did find that the co codamol and tramadol combination helped me the most, specially as I still work and they were the only meds I could take at work without feeling drugged up or sleepy.

Now, 2 years on I am no longer on the prescribed strength co codamol, I take the over the counter version and that is all I have during the day which sometimes suprises me as there were time sin the past where I thought I would never be able to cope without taking all the meds the GP gave me. To be honest they did help me in the beginning where I was coming to terms with having this constant pain, but now I have found I can cope without so many. I've been cutting down on my meds for a few months new and though it has been hard I actually feel better for not taking so many tablets.

All I would say is while trying to find the right medication for you, try looking into some natural remedies too as I have found those to be really helpful to me. I swear by arnica gel now which really helps take the endge off aching throbbing legs and feet (that's where my worst pain is) and magnesium/calcium/vitamin d supplements to help with my enegry levels. I also use a Tens machine - I have one that just vibrates/massages and one that heats up too and it is my new best friend lol.

whoami wrote:You will find a happy place where you can tolerate fibro. It won't be gone but you can reach a place where you can enjoy life differently.

Could not agree with that quote more and while I do sometimes struggle to process my thoughts and dealings with being in pain all the time, looking over the last few years I can really see a positive change in how I deal with it.

Good Luck Loopy I hope the meds you try work for you and you can get some relief
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby libbiek30 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:33 pm

I had acupuncture which really helped my pain. I was referred by my gp to our local hospital so it was free. I had it for over a year. Now I only take small dose of amitriptyline and serterline and paracetamol when needed. : :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:38 pm

ru.campbell

i think i understand what your saying about there being no pain to start with, but my understanding is there IS pain it just hurts us way more then ppl without fibro.i have very bad knees and back so alot of my pain comes from there its real enough i had ops its not my brain.but as someone might get over it in a year or so someone like me might not.im sure the brain does have something missing a hormone were not getting enough of or something like.i do hope one day we will all find out what make us suffer this illness.and id love nothing more then to find out i dont need pain killers .i do agree when im un able to move the best thing i can do is start walking.but sadly i need meds to start me off.xxxhugs to all
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 pm

ru.campbell wrote:I do believe anti depress pills relax and therefore help perceived pain but I'm a believer that this is a neurological illness (a messed up communication between brain and nervous systems causing false, but excruciating, pain signals) which means that opioids and other pain killers wouldn't work. You can't cure pain with opium based medicine if the pain isn't physically there--even if we can all feel it.

painprincess1 wrote:ru.campbell
i think i understand what your saying about there being no pain to start with, but my understanding is there IS pain it just hurts us way more then ppl without fibro.

Painprincess, from what I understand about what has been posted here, it seems to mean that there isn't an actual physical cause for the pain we feel, such as an injury or knock, which is why it is described as perceived pain. Just because it doesn't come from a typical source, it doesn't mean that the pain is not there, but because we have misfiring signals that make our meerkats run the wrong way round our bodies, this could be what it causing the over~amplified messages to be sent.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby debsmith » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Hia all every body,s body if differant like sum medz good for some of us and not for others its trial and error I'm on BuTrans patches 30mg ( slipped L5/S1,pregablin 50mg am,s and 100mg at night,75mg of anatriptiline and co-codimals,if I didn't take these there would b no chance in hell I'd b able to get out of bed!!!! I take 50mg pregablin and 2 co-codimals when I'm awake with a cuppa let it kick in then get sorted 4 work and I don't know how much longer I'm going to b able to do job for.......... My gp is supportive and he knows I love job but don't think he quite understands how bad the pain can b even with all these medz!!! Pain clinic said I'm on a decent dose morphine patches but can steadily go up with pregablin but if it is medz causing my feet to swell may have to come of them and try something else!!! Its a constant battle isn't it plus tennis elbow+calpol tunnel in both arms had a bad day today!!!! I sometimes wonder what if I stopped taking medz I tried it 1 nite without all and bloody heck!!!! OOUCH!!! So they work to a point just not all pain gone see what pain clinic say soon good luck with ur medz but its not the same for everyone would b great if all fibro same but this awful fibro just isn't!!! I don't know if I'd get ( PIP ) if I did I really don't think I'd carry on working as when I'm home can't do a thing!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :grouphug:
debsmith
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia