brainfog, delayed reactions

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

brainfog, delayed reactions

Postby Karou » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi,

Struggling quite a bit at the moment. Since Fibro started I've always been a bit slow but this seems to be getting worse. I can't remember simple things I need to buy and when people talk to me it takes a while for me to respond.

The frustrating thing is that I'm totally aware of it and the looks I get. I know they're talking to me and my ears get the message but then it's like "sorry...traffic jam...please wait" before my brain processes the information and gives the command to speak.

Same happens when I watch tv, I'll start laughing and people look at me wondering what's up because the funny scene happened ages ago.

Will this get better or worse? I'm also wondering if there's anything I can do to improve this or at least feel better about it?
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: brainfog, delayed reactions

Postby icklebananer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:50 pm

I'm similar, i go to do something take one step and have no idea of what i planned on doing. And I'll watch tv and completely forget what i watched the next day. I think it's mainly down to this that i lost my last job and have now been on ESA for 6 months. So yeh i feel your pain! xxx
Any help would be amazing!! and let me know how you get on x
I used to have prospects but now at 25 I'm stuck in a society against helping those with long term illness. Trying to fight back one day at a time. Fibro Princess

icklebananer
UKFM Newbie

Postby Garyl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:56 pm

I too suffer like this even worse i wake up some mornings after so little sleep and i cannot remember what day it is.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby LoopyLou78 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi, I can totally agree with you! I get the same, When someone asks me something, sometimes my mind just goes blank!! And the look on their faces makes me feel embarrassed!! It's like just what you said " traffic jam...hold on..."!!!!!! My mind takes ages sometimes to answer, and then it can come out wrong, or jumbled up!!!

It's worse when iv had little sleep. Great this condition isn't it!! Still at least we are not alone, and we can take comfort from others that it's not just us- As I felt like the only one with this for a very long time until I came across this site.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: hugs xx
LoopyLou78
UKFM Member

Postby LoopyLou78 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:08 pm

Forgot to say, it's the forgetfulness and the poor memory that annoys me the most. Iv forgot that i'd left the cooker on 3 times. once for 5 hours!!!

It can be dangerous when you have memory problems, I really thought I had turned it off. Luckily my mum noticed it was still on. xx
LoopyLou78
UKFM Member

Postby wen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:12 pm

I am exactly the same I have major problem with answering my daughters to always being told that I am ignoring them but its just I can't seem to answer them. Also helping with home work iam like I just can't find the words to explain but I know the answers. Good luck and I hope you find something that helps. Xx :grouphug: hugs x
wen
UKFM Member

Postby ouchiemama » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:23 pm

I too can sympathasise, im sure im getting worse :(

Its exactly how you said its like a traffic jam but then out shoots my answer before ive processed the question & its a jumbled mess & im thinking ugh stop talking, your talking rubbish!! lol. Very frustrating though, its fine with family & friends but aquantainces or shop assistants etc..so embarrasing :yikes:

Honestly people must think im stupid or drunk..specially when its a day where i have the shakes & my balance is off!!! :crazy: :crazy:

Dont think theres much we can do about it?!?!
Just try & not let it depress you & who cares what other people that dont know you think, as long as family & friends know the truth!! (Shame i dont actually listen to my own advice it does bother me sometimes & unfortunately i do care what people think!!) :nono:

:grouphug:
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Postby ru.campbell » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:56 pm

Indeed - I go for weeks without keeping a thought in my head. I have trained myself to make notes on my phone so that, when I do remember something, I can set it down for reference later. This helps a bit, especially with managing my day--particularly at work.

This last week has been nowhere near as bad for The Fog as weeks gone by, but I already feel it catching up with me again.

I agree that you shouldn't let it bother you. Before now I've mysteriously found money in the bin, a line of wastepaper bins on my front garden like some gnome collection (reason unknown), I've burnt anything you can think of in the oven because I forgot it was on and I regularly answer my wife's questions two hours after she asks them.

Ce la vie!

Ru
ru.campbell
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:32 pm

I can read something then completely forget what I just read! At work I can't get my words out, I know what I want to say but it comes out wrong or I can't find the right word! I forget to lock doors, where I have parked and where I am going! I write a lot of list, I don't seem to forget important things at work or home. It's very strange :oops:
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby MarLyn2012 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:43 pm

I have been suffering for over 20 years and can't remember anything. Even the password to log-in.
I have to write everything down. Thank heavens for the smartphones.
MarLyn2012
UKFM Newbie

Postby cozza50 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:28 pm

God i get brain fog and my job at risk coz i keep making mistakes on the paypoint i been in the office more then i can count yesterday had yet another meeting and i was saying i cannot help it my mind just goes blank in a slit second and i go to put somuch on paypont when i look at the reciept and my mind tells me something else so just waiting to see if i get the sack :yikes:
but they know i suffer from lack of consitration coz the occupatinal heath person put in report so watch this space
cozza50
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks for your replies, it's making me feel better to know it's not just me.

Had to grin a few times as I was reminded of the strange things I do. Yesterday I put my porridge oats in my mug, filled up with water and thought "hold on, if this is my porridge then what's in the microwave??" Well...bowl of lukewarm milk that slightly tastes like coffee. At least I noticed before the milk came over the top and out the microwave door. :roll:

Oh...and isn't it strange how I can remember that but nearly forgot my wheat free bread again earlier? Makes me wonder if the Fibro fog only affects short term memory.

I totally agree that it's worse after not getting a good sleep and since sleeping is always a problem there's always at least a bit of mist. :crazy:

Not caring about it when people give me funny looks...I wish I had that ability. :-) It really shouldn't matter to me when it's strangers but it always bothered me. I'll have a think about that, no idea why it's so important to me.

Sending some [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: to all.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:11 pm

The delights of FM, can't remember the last time my head was free of weetabix :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Having had a few years with this foggy headedness, I now know it's inevitable that it's going to get me as many times as it possibly can thru the day, so I just try and go with it as it doesn't take as much out of me compared to trying to battle against it. Generally it works, but there are the odd times when I end up wrestling with it happening.

Knowing that it's going to get me, and I'll be met with strange looks if I'm talking to someone who doesn't know know me that well, when it does hit, if I'm quick enough, I try to think of the most random thing possible and throw that in fill the gap that happens when I lose track of what I'm saying.

Bit norty I know, but seeing the look on someone's face when something like a :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: gets thrown into a conversation about food certainly raises a :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby olwynam1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:51 pm

Yes, I keep forgetting to phone the chemist for my repeat prescriptions until I go to take my tablets and remember I'm getting low on them and must phone the chemist and then promptly forget again!! So frustrating because I cannot be without my pain medication so end up pleading with the chemist to rush my prescription through as I've nearly ran out of pills - I think they're getting used to me now! :oops:
olwynam1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:18 pm

olwynam1 wrote:Yes, I keep forgetting to phone the chemist for my repeat prescriptions until I go to take my tablets and remember I'm getting low on them and must phone the chemist and then promptly forget again!! So frustrating because I cannot be without my pain medication so end up pleading with the chemist to rush my prescription through as I've nearly ran out of pills - I think they're getting used to me now! :oops:

I set regular reminders on my phone's calendar/organiser with an alarm to alert me when something is coming up. It doesn't always work, esp when my phone is flat and has turned itself off, but most of the time it means things are pretty much done when they need to be.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia