brainfog, delayed reactions

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: brainfog, delayed reactions

Postby Carrie Nourse » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:20 am

I get this an awful lot and it does not help if you cannot sleep properly as I don't. I find it hard to concentrate on anything, in one ear out the other and very forgetful like walking into the bedroom to get something and then forgetting what it was or start talking and then forget what you were going to say or worse still out walking trying to cross the road and forgetting to look both ways. I do get angry at myself even though I cant help it but I hope the next day will be a better one.
Carrie Nourse
UKFM Member

Postby chloesgran » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:48 am

I have suffered both M.E, & Fibro for over 6 years & am on some "heavy meds" prescribed by an informed Rheumatologist at the UHW. These help greatly with sleeping patterns & mood swings.
I have to write lists upon lists even to when I last took pain relief!
I do not have the concentration to shop in store - would need my wheelchair & someone to push me around.
I keep a pad in the kitchen to write items as they run out & shop online for groceries as this lets me alter it daily!
Answering the phone is a nightmare! Mumblings followed by "Brain Fog". Cold callers I just put the phone down on them, People who know me just wait.
Thank Goodness for things like face :yikes: :crazy: :crazy:
book & emails where I have the time to try & remember what I want to say. I ask my husband what is the word for? them try & describe :roll: what I want to remember!
chloesgran
UKFM Newbie

Postby chloesgran » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:52 am

I also get VERY angry with myself, both remembering things & trying to do things. Days when I am not ill enough to be bed or sofa bound & try to do something - I am so clumsy & my hands are permenently very painful & feel swollen like huge pallets! :-x
chloesgran
UKFM Newbie

Postby binty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:02 pm

this happens to me alot ......, ive left the gas ring on the cooker on for hours many a time and the other day i managed to shower and wash my hair before taking my son to school but completely forgot to wash the conditioner out :oops: i forget what im doing and saying, start waffling and mumbling and getting all tongue tied, and feel like an idiot when it happens, especially in front of people that don't no my problems or understand, i forget what ive gone to the shops for, what ive gone to the kitchen for, even what ive gone to the drs for, where ive parked the car, if i locked up etc etc, it makes me :-x but in front of understanding friends and family it can cause a :-)
binty
UKFM Member

Postby mary251 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:19 pm

This is me almost constantly. I was diagnosed last Thursday and, when I spoke to my boss about it, I told him I've been prescribed Tramadol and told him I'm likely to be a little forgetful and spaced out, to which he responded, "I didn't think it was possible to be more spaced out than you are already." Not what I needed less than 24 hours after getting hit by the Dx! I nearly burst into tears there and then. I took the opportunity to point out to him that one of the symptoms is brain fog, and the only response I got was a snort.

Does the fog come and go, or is a constant? I'm writing a list of things to ask my GP at my next appointment, but the fog is something that has been getting me down for a while - I just keep forgetting to mention it to him... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Sometimes, there is simply not enough chocolate in the world...
mary251
UKFM Member

Postby binty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:16 pm

mary251..... if it helps you all to tell u this, my brain fog comes and goes, sometimes i am aware that i am forgetful but other times i don't realize i've been forgetful until after the event, if that makes sense, (like forgetting to wash the conditioner out of my hair), i have found that only those with fibro really understand what you mean when you say you are forgetful, or the drugs space you out, i got pretty much much the same response from alot of my colleagues, comments like... "your blonde", etc. Unfortunately the people that are saying these things just haven't got a clue what it's like to be this way at this stage in your life, i also found tramadol to be very unsuitable to me, i was like a zombie in the day but an insomniac at night, i realized things were bad when i kept bumping the car and a good friend entered my house under my partners instruction and i barked at her to get out asking who she thought she was coming into my house uninvited, i just didn't recognise people, i had to come off it
i write everything down now and keep the list close by to add to it and always take it to my gp, or try keeping a diary to take to your gp, it might help, it helps me
its hard but try to keep smiling xx
binty
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:52 pm

I wonder, of those who experience really bad brain fog, are there any who don't take medication? I work full time as an office manager so have to juggle lots of things at once, plus run a house, 4 pets, an allotment, organise events as a hobby, and deal with a partner whose memory has NEVER worked so I remember tasks, passwords, PIN numbers and so on for him as well as myself. I do have forgetful moments, I lose track of things if I'm not careful so am very organised with lots of lists, reminders in my phone calendar and alarms set...etc etc ...but nothing like the sort of things described on this thread. Is it the FM or is it the medication, or does it start with one in a mild form and get worse due to certain types of medication? Anybody know?
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby binty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:40 pm

SchroedingersCat... i certainly think the medication makes the fog worse.... tramadol certainly made me worse..... i try to avoid any painkillers now as they just don't relieve my pain and the side effects are awful but the fog is still not good
hope thats helpful.....

thought i was plodding along quite nicely today until i realized that i had put the washing machine on...... without putting any washing in it :crazy:
binty
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:22 pm

The meds seem to have an effect on me as well. At times, even when just missing one dose, I can tell as things start to feel a little less foggier and heavy. I haven't gone as far as trying to reduce any dosages, so don't know if it would make any further differences for me, unfortunately I haven't found any brave pills that are strong enough for me to bear what my pain levels would be like on less meds to see.

Being able to recall all the anorakky F1 stats and records that are still stored somewhere in my head would be :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :f1-car: :f1-car: :f1-car: :f1-car:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby junius » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:30 pm

I used to forget to phone pharmacy for my meds, i now get them to phone me every month when they are due. i then just haveto remember to collect them the following week :penguin:
junius
UKFM Member

Postby SopsIsTops88 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:11 pm

I have the same problems! I can't remember the names of 2 people I see everyday at work and speak to. I'm embarrassed to say I've forgotten their names!

I also slur my speech and get words mixed up, which is really embarrassing when talking to strangers!

Sophie x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
SopsIsTops88
UKFM Member

Postby mary251 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:32 pm

SchroedingersCat wrote:I wonder, of those who experience really bad brain fog, are there any who don't take medication? I work full time as an office manager so have to juggle lots of things at once, plus run a house, 4 pets, an allotment, organise events as a hobby, and deal with a partner whose memory has NEVER worked so I remember tasks, passwords, PIN numbers and so on for him as well as myself. I do have forgetful moments, I lose track of things if I'm not careful so am very organised with lots of lists, reminders in my phone calendar and alarms set...etc etc ...but nothing like the sort of things described on this thread. Is it the FM or is it the medication, or does it start with one in a mild form and get worse due to certain types of medication? Anybody know?

I was only diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, and I've been foggy for years. When I'm in a lot of pain, the fog is considerably worse, but now I'm on tramadol, and I'm constantly in a haze! I'm at the point where if I don't write it down immediately, I'll forget it. Having said that, I often forget that I wrote something down and then neglect to check my notepad, but at least I'm trying, right?!

There are things that I don't forget. I'm very good with dates (birthdays, anniversaries, etc.) as long as I have a reason to relate them to something. For example, I remember on of my colleagues' birthdays, as it is 4 days before mine, and yet I have no idea when my next hospital appointment is, even though I looked it up on the calender less than an hour ago!
Sometimes, there is simply not enough chocolate in the world...
mary251
UKFM Member

Postby junius » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:49 pm

:yikes: I continue to decrease my Gabepentin, but the fogs not clearing. Given up Ti Chi as i keep falling forwards, backwards and sidewards. Always got my walking stick in my bag. Managing aqua fit but keeping ujp with it and the co=ordination is a nightmare.
junius
UKFM Member

Postby andycrazy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:26 am

I developed the fibro fog and brain freeze before I was taking any medication, and before I was diagnosed with FM. The last place I worked they used to take the mickey as I could never remember customers names (a customer actuallytook offence and complained about me to the MD because I could not remember his name). Even now I can speak to someone and five mins later I have forgotten what they or I have said. I now take high doses of tramadol and amytriptyline but my fibro fog is the same.

I wish I could have my memory back but I have forgotten what it was like!
andycrazy
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:48 pm

My memory is also terrible. If it is not written down no chance. And as for the wrong words coming out sometimes I just have to laugh at myself.

One thing I do remember that afternoon is time for a :cup1: of hot [chocolate] [chocolate] .

Just of to make it now. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia