Pain when stretching muscles?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain when stretching muscles?

Postby gibbo82 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:00 am

Is this a common complaint with fibro? When ever I stretch a muscle (the sort before exercise)
The muscle being stretched starts to feel like it's burning & painful.

Sometimes it sends the muscle into a spasm or twitch.

I noticed this most when you first wake up and do that getting out of bed stretch along with a big yawn. It sends all my upper back muscles into spasm! :/

Can anyone relate to this?

Lee

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
gibbo82
UKFM Member

Re: Pain when stretching muscles?

Postby Subee » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:37 am

Yes completely! I get cramp in my calves if I stretch. I stretched last week and the sides of my back under my arm pits went into.spasm too. It's horrible....can't even enjoy a stretch in the morning! :cry:

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Subee
UKFM Newbie

Postby woodwasp » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:06 am

hi i am always the same when i stretch my back shoulder and neck go into cramps and i get a bad burning sensation running up my spine then it radiates into my shoulders and down both arms its so bad at times.as i am writing this my whole upper body is starting to cramp up time to take some morphine :sleep:
woodwasp
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:09 pm

I've started yoga not too long ago but have to take it really slow because my muscles will do what you described. Especially the ones in my legs and back. It gets a bit easier as the day goes on but when it's time to go sleep they feel very stiff again.

For me the colder months are the worst so I try to have a hot bath regularly. It doesn't always take it away but helps me to relax.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:54 pm

At the moment I am just about to get my last physio app at the hospital have been going every other week since May for physio for muscle spams at both side of my neck and the back and along my shoulders they have tried every thing to try and realise the knots from warm wraps to manipulation to neck exercise , then one physio hit on the idea of traction ,where they put your neck in a sling and then hook it to a pulley then it slowly goes up and down for about 15 minutes to stretch the muscle 's ' well I can honestly say that after 12 months of not being able to hardly turn my head from side to side, this has given me more movement .after only three session

Will it last once I have stopped having any more treatment suppose I will have to wait and see :?:
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby Carrie Nourse » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi, Yes I get the same everytime I try and stretch any muscles, they go straight in a cramp and the painful burning I get is a killer especially around the neck. shoulders and legs so I think we are all in the same boat when it comes to this.
Carrie Nourse
UKFM Member

Postby gibbo82 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:20 pm

The condition is very frustrating as even the docs don't know what to do when I tell them about these symptoms! Its as if I'm speaking in spanish :/

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk 4
gibbo82
UKFM Member

Postby JYB » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi, my muscle cramps/spasms have improved since I started using magnesium spray. You can take it in tablet form but it is absorbed well through the skin. It might not work for everyone but its a simple thing that is worth a try.
JYB
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia