Not sleeping

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Not sleeping

Postby Fibro Fi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi All,
I've touched on this subject before, but does anyone else suffer from not sleeping at all, all night? It happened again last night and is becoming more regular. I go to bed tired after taking tablets, wait for my husband to finish his first snoring cycle, lol, and then try to go to sleep. That's where the problem lies, I just can't get off to sleep and I find myself awake all night until the birds start tweeting! The next day just like today is then a complete right off! I then have to cancel arrangements because I'm too tired to go to them. The last all nighter was in a hotel room in York after taking my son back to uni and that was just over two weeks ago.
Anyone found a solution? Also, going through an itchy phase where I itch all over despite antihistamines.
It was a beautiful day down here in Dorset and I was meant to go dog walking but spent all day in bed feeling unwell and nursing a migraine that despite several different types of tablets is only just starting to go. I'm squinting as I write!
So, pity party over!
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Re: Not sleeping

Postby Garyl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:32 pm

I have had sleep issues due to fibro for years now is not good, saying that i refuse to take sleeping tablets .
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby tracy dawn 75 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi there, I also had trouble sleeping for years im very newly diagnosed with fibro I was also diagnosed with carple tunnel syndrome which was also keeping me awake at night the doctors perscribed me amatriptaline now I sleep a full nights sleep 98% of the time, I hear they don't suit everyone but there's no harm in trying,I hope this is helpful x
tracy dawn 75
UKFM Newbie

Postby kazza65 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi

Sorry to hear that you're not sleeping.

I was like you before i was diagnosed with fibro. One they had diagnosed me i was fine because they put me on a tablet calle Amitriptyline and i 40 mg at night and they are a god sent. They relax my muscles so no more restless legs and not more interrupted sleep if i can stay on my side. But if i go on to my back i have to wake my husband up to pull me up because my back as spasmed and i can't move, i just get back on my side and i'm back to sleep.

Also i found having a afternoon nap helps as well because i'm not over tired for going to bed at night.

Hope this helps you

Karen :-)
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm surprised I haven't seen you in the wee small hours Fi as I'm on a run of sleepless nights as well. Mine are most due to my OH deciding that every night must be a full~on snore fest, with me only being allowed a few minutes now and then while he just lays there, getting louder and louder until the alarm goes off :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:

It means I'm absolutely foul the following day, not just because it's fuelling the fatigue, but also because it's aggravating everything else. If I hear him say that he can't help it and that he's not doing it on purpose one for time, I'm going to implement one of perfect crime theories that has been formulated, refined and rubber stamped at snore o'clock :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Carrie Nourse » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi, I do not sleep at night, I was on Amitriptylene and they did help but I am not on them anymore so my doctor allows me to use Zopiclone and I am allowed 1 every 3 nights if I have had no proper sleep and they work well. I usually find I am ready for bed between 2-3am in the morning and then I will sleep round til the following morning. I too have a husband that thinks nothing of snoring and moving around in the bed which is no good for me so I think the later I go to bed the less time we are in it together and then he cannot disturb me for too long as he is up by 6am.
Carrie Nourse
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Sleep has been a major issue for me also.

There are quite a few Dr's that suggest if we can get our sleep patterns under control our fibro symptoms might decrease quite a bit.....I agree

I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and before my CPAP I slept , not deeply, a total of 12 minutes an hour. This besides the stopping breathing every few minutes, LOL

I now sleep around two hours steady, sometimes three. Not what the Dr would like but we will get there.

I really recommend everyone having a sleep study. There are other things that can cause sleep issues, they can diagnose those also.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby olwynam1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:31 pm

I fluctuate a lot. I've had the can't stay awake cycle, followed by the can't sleep at all cycle and am now going through the intermittent sleep cycle where I wake up several times throughout the night and then drop off again only to wake again a couple of hours later and so on through the night!! I dont know which of the three is worse - there's just no answer they are all totally debilitating.xx :(
olwynam1
UKFM Member

Postby Fibro Fi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks for your replies. Fluffy puppy, you are so funny!
I do take 30mg of amitriptyline each night and clonazepam prn. This condition certainly is a mystery! Im going to try a support group next week so maybe it will help to have others to moan with:) fingers crossed I will sleep tonight! :sleep:
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia