Waking early with stiff back. Any tips Please

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Waking early with stiff back. Any tips Please

Postby TATT » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:32 pm

I am waking about 3/4pm in agony with my back. I stretch for ten minutes and it seemed to be okay, but then I was waking in pain and turning and sleeping with the pain until it gets too bad.

Now I am in constant backache even when I get up. I am starting to get low. Last year hubby bought us a new memory foam mattress, but after a few months I found it too hard. I have now a single mattress topper on and that now does not help. The last two nights I out five pillows under the topper to help but it's no better.

Can't afford to do anything else. I have asked hubby if he can find the double lilo and I will pump it up and try that. My spine feels bruised and it creeps round to my ribs. I have had costochondritus twice before but that started from the chest this is from the back. There is nothing the doctor can do.

Does anyone have any tips if they have had the same.

Thanks Tatt
TATT
UKFM Member

Re: Waking early with stiff back. Any tips Please

Postby Branston73 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:10 pm

I have found that deep freeze gel helps with muscle stiffness for me. Although some people I know prefer heat pads or tens machine. It's about what works best for you. I am also attending and using Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. It doesn't always take the pain away just helps me deal with it better. Hope you find what best works for you :-D x
Branston73
UKFM Newbie

Postby seamonkey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:03 pm

I also have this and when it creeps around to my ribs its quite scary as breathing seems restricted. im afraid i dont have any quick fix tips but my physio said its refered pain from back that goes around ribs. Getting up and mobile helps me and then electric blanked up full can help too. I ahve a wedge cusion that i sue at nights, goes just under bum then gets higher untill feet are about 4inch off the bed. Helps me. I found it in Lidl once and its been in my side of bed ever since,
I hope it gets better soon,
seamonkey
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Thx Branston and seamonkey.

I have a heat pad and will sleep on it tonight with my feet elevated. I will let you know how I get on.

Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby JYB » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Are you able to do any sort of exercise? I had to stop going to the gym n daren't swim now as getting out of the pool with my weak legs is a problem! I started doing a Pilates class once a week n this seems to help with my aches n pains. The instructor is aware of my problems n adjusts the exercises if I can't manage them. I think my core muscles are getting stronger n this helps my back. It doesn't give instant relief but might be worth a try if you can find a class locally.
JYB
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 pm

I use a V pillow that helps to prop me up and takes the pressure away from my back, I'm one that prefers heat on my back, have you thought of an electric blanket maybe a dual controlled one so you can switch yours on and not disturb your OH
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby TATT » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi JYB,

It's funny that I was looking at the active channel on sky and decided to tape a yoga for backache and I used to do Pilates. It's a really good idea to strengthen the back, thanks.

Hi Denys, how are you keeping ? I am going to try a sleep pad tonight it covers my back and see if it helps, I can see the use of the V pillow now so will check out eBay. It's like being reminded of what works. When I am in so much pain I forget so much stuff. I think this time of year with the weather changing and my pain increasing, I start to worry that I am in for a long flare. But I gave up sugar during the summer which was hard to do but my pain lessened.

Went on holiday got back last week and had ice cream and dessert everyday and my pain is creeping in, so I as of tommorrow I am detoxing the sugar. I will let you know if it makes a difference again.

Thanks for your support x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Good idea TATT hopefully once you detox things will drop back down for you, we all often have to revisit what helps I cant keep anything in my head :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:59 pm

what are u sitting on in the day sometimes how we sit in the day will make things worse at bed time. i to used to have a very hard mattress pillows are uneven and well make it worse, can u not get a cheap single mattress and try that on your own ,i no if i wake up on my back i can barely move .and it takes me a few mins to roll over and move.i on a pillow between the kness really helped me so a v pillow as pp said would be worth trying .if u cant get one then any pillow.xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:28 pm

If its cold like today, I stay in bed : ( its warmer and more comfortable.

I have taken all the pillows and the topper away and it has helped a bit but still suffering. I can't lay on my back for long, and yes I do use pillows between knees and chest for my arms as the weight of my arm hanging down when on my side is too painful.

The more broken sleep I am getting the les energy I have to get up. I spend it in bed feeling guilty and messy and my poor husband has to do everything for me. I question if I am just downright lazy sometimes. But then he reminds me that if I push when I don't feel like it, I end up in bed with pain anyway.

I hate this illness
TATT
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia