First flare up

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

First flare up

Postby mary251 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:22 pm

Just got home from work after a hectic day, and I can't stop shaking, can barely walk, and every noise, movement and touch is excruciating. I can't even hold my cutlery to eat dinner, it's so painful. The tramadol I take isn't touching the pain and I've never felt so drained in my life. I'd cry if I had the energy.

It's my son's birthday on Thursday, so I want to be up and able before then. I can't have FM ruin his day, he's going to be 8, so it's unfair for me to expect him to understand if I can't do much on his birthday. I still need to bake a cake for him. Is there anything I can do to make this flare up go quickly?
Sometimes, there is simply not enough chocolate in the world...
mary251
UKFM Member

Re: First flare up

Postby Auds » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Hello Mary :wave:

Sorry to hear you are feeling so horrid just now but the only and best advice I could offer is to BUY a birthday cake and listen to your body. Rest as much as you can and do what's right for you just now... the expectations for thursday are mostly yours and not your boy's.

gently hugs

Auds
Auds
UKFM Newbie

Postby tracy dawn 75 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:00 pm

I completely understand where your coming from,its my sons birthday on Thursday too and I also have a cake to make,my advise would be is to rest up all day tomorrow if your not working that is,I know when I have an event or even just work I put my feet up and drink plenty of water,I hope this helps and your sons birthday goes well
Take care x
tracy dawn 75
UKFM Newbie

Postby Mothership » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:08 pm

The only thing you can do is rest, but it's difficult when you're in pain, because that alone is exhausting! You reminded me of myself, this is my first major flare up, I was out having lunch with my hubby, and I couldn't cut up my food! That was the moment that my husband realised how bad I was feeling! If it comes to it, buy a cake, you really don't want to over do it, and make yourself feel worse! I hope this passes quickly!
Mothership
UKFM Newbie

Postby Fibro Fi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Yes, buy the cake and save your energy to enjoy him and the day! I'm sure most children don't even care wether its homemade or not, it's usually the mums who worry about it. Try and ensure the day and prep fori t is as stress free as possible then hopefully you won't become more ill. Hope he has a great birthday:)
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Postby mary251 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:45 am

Thanks everyone. I think buying a cake is a good idea. I've been in bed since 9 trying to sleep but can't because the pain is so bad, so fussing around a hot oven may not be the best idea.

I'm not at work tomorrow, so I plan on getting as much rest as physically possible and hope this passes, otherwise work on Wednesday will be interesting. I thought the day-to-day fibro was bad enough, but this takes the biscuit.
mary251
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:10 am

can u ring dr and ask about other meds i take Tramadol but i have paracetamol with them it makes the Tramadol work better.as i have no idea what else u take it would be good to ask your dr or ring boots and ask them .it really helped me alot . and i only take them in the morning together to get me moblie and again to sleep pain free at night.paracetmol is great together as long as u dont over do it and as i stress give dr a ring first xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby mary251 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. I managed to relax a bit and get myself well enough to bake his cake, and he had a great birthday :-D

I did take some paracetamol with the tramadol, and that helped a lot. I have to admit, I completely overdid things on Thursday and was in a pretty bad way again on Friday, but hot baths and a back massage from the OH got me mobile again, and the rest of the weekend was spent relaxing.

I think I have a lot to learn about keeping within my limitations. I'm looking for a new job, as I find dental nursing too physically demanding. Maybe a receptionist /admin job or start up my own business. Anything where I'm not on my feet for 10 hours with a hour commute each way would be a good start I think!
mary251
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia